MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know everyone has different thoughts on how to break in your engine but I was wondering on your thoughts for oil type during break in.

I have heard and read to not use synthetic based oil but to use mineral oil for the first hundred miles or so. Supposedly it helps to smooth out the cylinder walls better and ensures a better seal for the piston rings.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
22,334 Posts
The oil that came in the bike is correct.

·
Administrator
19,841 Posts
Crate motor may have been dry???

Although crate motors I have seen from Japanese brands were filled, since they come off the engine assembly line heading to final vehicle assembly lines.
Crate motors just get redirected to packaging.

No oil fill takes place on the vehicle assembly lines I have witnessed. Coolant and brake fluid fill does, but not oil. Even shaft final drives and ATV differentials are pre-filled before going to vehicle assembly.

I would say any high quality oil will be just fine. Run what you plan to run.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oil that came in the bike is correct.
My new motor is being put in today so it will be about .5 liter short once installed due to oil cooler being drained. Being really OCD so don't want to mix oils. Would rather drain oil and replace filter to start out fresh. Then put couple of hundred miles on engine and do another oil change.

·
Super Moderator
22,334 Posts
New bikes are delivered with synthetic oil. I would go with a high quality synthetic.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
My understanding is that mineral based motor oil is thinner than synthetic so maybe that would account for the "smoother" cylinder wall break in. I have a friend who's into that kind of stuff and he said it doesn't matter as long as whatever you are using is high quality.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought a Harley 48 Sportster about 5 years ago and it was filled with mineral oil for break in period (I think 500 miles) by the dealership. But that was a different animal altogether. I asked my dealer out here who has a top shelf mechanic for MV and Ducati what he thinks and he said break it in with synthetic. Glad to hear your new engine is finally in!

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
?????

Everyone, MV engines spend 1/2 hour on the dyno.......
Every assembled MV Agusta goes back on the dyno.....

You're not breaking anything in.....stop kidding yourselves

Russ Collins put his race motor pistons in dry...........on a very fine hone job and used lapped rings

You faster than Russ??????....... NO!!!!!

Because you're certainly NOT smarter

I did not work on the triple, but I did work on Assassin and Sorcerer.......his son RC Jr has at least 3 Wallie's
That's the trophy you get for winning a NHRA National Championship.......
I built 2 of his winning bikes.....his daughter is my God daughter

>:)

·
Registered
565 Posts
You may be correct but I certainly didn't know that they were all dyno run before and after assembly. To add to the confusion is that the owners manual has a section called........ wait for it.... 'running in'

So, not saying your point isn't correct. But what are people supposed to go by? Also, to be devils advocate... there is more to it than cylinder walls.

Russ Collins put his race motor pistons in dry...........on a very fine hone job and used lapped rings

I did not work on the triple, but I did work on Assassin and Sorcerer.......his son RC Jr has at least 3 Wallie's

·
Vendor
5,335 Posts

Could not agree more Noel.Who uses running in oil these days with modern motors.
Get on the bike and ride it,don’t baby it,and enjoy.
Follow MVs service schedule and stick to the same oil.
Just my opinion.:wink2:

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Noel and Mitchy are right. Just ride it and don't be too careful. Your engine will be thankful.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad you are getting her back.
Thank you. Today is almost like Christmas for me.

This is why I started post with "I know everyone has different thoughts on how to break in your engine" LOL :)

I was aware how MV puts engine on dyno before shipment for testing but I already had an engine suck a valve on me and I don't want another engine to go.
Yes, I am sure the engine didn't go because of break in procedure so I just want to play it safe.
I don't have a NHRA team backing me so I wouldn't want to be down again if engine failed :)

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
You may be correct but I certainly didn't know that they were all dyno run before and after assembly. To add to the confusion is that the owners manual has a section called........ wait for it.... 'running in'

So, not saying your point isn't correct. But what are people supposed to go by? Also, to be devils advocate... there is more to it than cylinder walls.
I am correct
There is a bunch of stupid shit in the manuals too.....
You going to replace your chain and sprockets at 7,500mi????
Or change your rear hub at 22,500mi????

Didn't think so!

What's a bed plate or a carter???? That's in the manual too

·
Registered
565 Posts
I know some guys who do change chains and sprockets within 10,000 miles. No idea why.. other than they have Ducatis? And they run the chain too tight. I keep mine loose and its not wearing at all... I've got 15,000 miles on my bike. All good.

On one hand I see the manual as a schedule if you are treating the bike as a track bike. Replace everything and do it often! But then again I am waiting two months on some basic service parts so I can't even do things I should!

Maybe someone who speaks Italian can translate better what a bed plate or carter is?

All things said... love my MV!!!

I am correct
There is a bunch of stupid shit in the manuals too.....
You going to replace your chain and sprockets at 7,500mi????
Or change your rear hub at 22,500mi????

Didn't think so!

What's a bed plate or a carter???? That's in the manual too

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
?

Litigation, unfortunately.
No, Art, it's to sell you over priced parts and services......
and not have it in stock

MV and Ducati don't sell hub parts......they only sell hubs
I'll sell you a 3810-2RS for $34+ shipping
In NZ last time I checked and MV hub was $2142.00 that's US Dollars

>:)>:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts