MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem that seems to be getting worse. My bike fires up first flick of the button - cold (with choke) or hot. However, after running perfectly it will cut out without respond to applying throttle. Hold the finger on the button for 2 seconds and it fires up OK. Ride for 1/2 hour, come to a stop and dies - no throttle response. Hold starter button for 2 seconds and fires up and runs OK. It's like there's no fuel getting through. Anyone else experience this, and more importantly, anyone got an answer? :confused:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
When's the last time you had it serviced???, and when they did, ask them if they have ever set the Fueling/CO2/TPC....the ECU needs to be set up so the bike gets the right fuel/air.....many MV's have suffered from this.
{mine included...mine use to stall, and I couldn't "blip" the throttle}

I could be wrong...but that's what it sounds like.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that V, winters nearly over - service in early spring. Let's hope what you say cures it - I assume it did for you.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Took mine in for it`s 3500 mi. service this week and told them of the same thing. I was told the lntake was a little out of balance and it should not happen any more.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steptoe
The bike has done it off and on since I got it in August last year but seems to be getting worse. It hasn't sat all winter - but isn't used every week when it's cold and wet !! I do know that it sat in the dealers before I bought it for 6 months - so don't know whether rotten fuel has clogged something up and this is gradually worsening.

cdamb
I'll mention this and what velocemoto said when it goes in for service.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
If you can't get the bike to Brad at Moto-One?

If not print out his guides for them to follow:

http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/12/tuning-1-throttle-position-sensor-tps.html

then

http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/12/tuning-2-idle-base-co-and-throttle.html

I put the correct specs in there for your bike as well:

Senna/2002/2003/2004/SPR/SR: 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 air bypass opening. Idle 1150 +/- 50 RPM. CO 3.5 +/- .5%

However you may find 4-4.5% to your liking.

Your bike's behaviour sounds exactly as mine does at 14000ft/4300m in the mountains. If it continues after this work, or just as a preventative measure, you may find you really like the NGK CR9EIX spark plugs as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine just stalled out when comming to a stop two days ago.. just hit the starter and it fired right back up.. I have 110 miles on it now new F4 1000 2005 Have an RG-3 installed. Bike is rather touchy beloow 3500rpm but then it pulls like a 40 yr old virgin heading to Hooters.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Rick GM said:
I have a problem that seems to be getting worse. My bike fires up first flick of the button - cold (with choke) or hot. However, after running perfectly it will cut out without respond to applying throttle. Hold the finger on the button for 2 seconds and it fires up OK. Ride for 1/2 hour, come to a stop and dies - no throttle response. Hold starter button for 2 seconds and fires up and runs OK. It's like there's no fuel getting through. Anyone else experience this, and more importantly, anyone got an answer? :confused:
Yup. Probably rev sensor gone. :shocker:
Replace it. :idea:
Bye

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
To follow SPR2003's advice:

-Find the sensor just above and to the right of the F4 cover
-Trace that sensor's wire to just inside the left frame above engine
-Unplug square AMP connector there
-Measure at the (+) and (-) with a multimeter for Ohm (Ω) on the side leading to the sensor

=Should measure between 680-700Ω

*if that checks out ok measure gap from timing wheel to sensor:
-Unscrew the bolts around the F4 cover
-Use feeler to measure .6mm - .7mm between back of timing wheel and sensor
-New gasket for F4 cover is pn: 800094626 but many reuse that

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. Interesting problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts