MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had this happen to me three times now in the course of about 700kms on my Dragster.

Waiting in line at the border, bike on idle, moving slowly. Engine sputters and dies.

Coming out of a gas station, going slowly, engine dies again.

Another time that I can't remember, but was also going slowly and engine close to idle speed. It's definitely not me stalling, I've ridden bikes for many years and when I stall because of bad clutch work, I know it's me.

Anyone else experience this?

EDIT: Did more testing today, it seems to happen always just as I'm coming to a stop. Engine on decel, throttle off then pull in the clutch fully and the revs drop to nothing and engine dies. MC21 did some research for me and he says it sounds like I need a software update.

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
Maybe software update, maybe idle speed is too low. Low idle speed was cause of stalling on my 910R. Tach is not accurate enough....computer diag software showed true idle speed. Since proper adjustment I have no stalling issues anymore.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can't guarantee it's totally software related. Could be a combination of software and air bleed screws, as mentioned by Resom. My bike was fine and never stalled until after the latest software update.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some updates:

- I've spoken to MV Canada and they confirm a software update is coming at end of week to address the stalling issue.
- Separately, my dealer service rep just called me to tell me the same thing.
- Tracking my fuel usage in Fuelly, I realized that the stalling only started happening after I used Chevron 92 (where I live, this contains 10% ethanol). When I went back to my usual blend of Shell 91 V Power (where I live, this contains 0 ethanol), the stalling issues went away.

The bike also ran very poorly on the Chevron 92 with ethanol, which leads me to suspect it's all related to the ethanol. Maybe the new map makes the bikes more ethanol friendly.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
leads me to suspect it's all related to the ethanol.
Wow. F__king ethanol. :thewife:

I hope the map is available to US dealers at same time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been experiencing problems too, at low RPM the engine dies quietly while coasting or downshifting. It also has shut off other times at high RPM and high speed, once on the freeway (70mph) and once on a quiet road (80mph). The dealer thinks its the Sprag Clutch… I hope so. I'm waiting for the part meanwhile my Dragster just sits in the garage. The weather has been PERFECT for riding, D'oh!!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Some updates:

- I've spoken to MV Canada and they confirm a software update is coming at end of week to address the stalling issue.
- Separately, my dealer service rep just called me to tell me the same thing.
- Tracking my fuel usage in Fuelly, I realized that the stalling only started happening after I used Chevron 92 (where I live, this contains 10% ethanol). When I went back to my usual blend of Shell 91 V Power (where I live, this contains 0 ethanol), the stalling issues went away.

The bike also ran very poorly on the Chevron 92 with ethanol, which leads me to suspect it's all related to the ethanol. Maybe the new map makes the bikes more ethanol friendly.
No ethanol fuel for me, or only the "standard" fuel this contains only 5% ethanol.
I have the stalling issues, only not as many as some other owners...

·
Registered
639 Posts
5% ethanol is still ethanol. Can you use a 0% ethanol fuel?
I could, but it's so damn expensive her......
Might give it a try, although my stalling issues are not that big.
12 times in 3000 km.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The latest map update solved my stalling issue.
And I started to use only ethanol free fuel, 98 or higher

1 - 13 of 13 Posts