MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given all your advice, I have decided to weld this creature back to life. However, welders around the area must lack some confidence, becuase they absolutely want to know the engine alloy composition before doing the quick spot weld. Anyone?

-p

·
Administrator
20,371 Posts
Aluminum.....that should be enough.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got in touch last week with one welder who claimed to have worked on engines. He was not satisfied with that answer. Sign that he doesn't know what he's doing?

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
alloy?

Aluminum.....that should be enough.
I got in touch last week with one welder who claimed to have worked on engines. He was not satisfied with that answer. Sign that he doesn't know what he's doing?
yes and yes

you won't be able to cross reference from Euro alloys with out the help of a metallurgist

the most common rod, 4043 will work, so will 5356.......

if he was a welder, he'd know that...........:stickpoke

find somebody else:yo:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes and yes

you won't be able to cross reference from Euro alloys with out the help of a metallurgist

the most common rod, 4043 will work, so will 5356.......

if he was a welder, he'd know that...........:stickpoke

find somebody else:yo:

wow, good answer. Isn't the 5356 rated only to 65 centigrade? If that area gets to around 90c, would it not be preferable to use 4043?

again, a decent welder would know this, so I will keep looking around the pot of deadbeats here.

Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saga moves on. I managed to get a hold on one auto mechanic who said he 'could' MIG weld for about $20, but obviously would prefer to see it first.

Any 'seeing' on my part is more than just a peep show - requires a trailer, etc, you name it, so some work. He did offer the caveat that he could make it worse - but I can't imagine he would completely block off the channel given any competence. Any thoughts, from the photos I'd posted?

If any of you are locals, it's Rayco Auto, in what I believe to be in silver spring, md...

·
Registered
207 Posts
welding

i am a welder. tig is the best way to go. i would try to find someone or a shop that specializes in aluminum dont go to just any welding shop, :smoking::smoking::conveyer::drummer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts