MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just another question from a Newbie owner.

On starting the MV the top end ie valve gear cams and throttle bodies sound rattly not engine fail rattly just a little noisy it sounds quite normal but is noisier than say a Jap bike.

It sounds almost like an old t595 t955 triumph mechanically noisy but efficient.

Is this the general thing to expect I have no reason to be concerned but you can hear everything working is this the norm.

·
Super Moderator
22,355 Posts
Check or replace your cam chain tensioner. They are known to fail after a time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check or replace your cam chain tensioner. They are known to fail after a time.

I don't think it's that type of noise it is a general noise very hard to describe as it sounds normal I will try and compare to another bike.

·
Super Moderator
22,355 Posts
I would believe the sounds are normal...if I heard them.
Find another MV of similar vintage to compare.

Another thing to do is grab yourself a Mechanic's Stethoscope and poke around listening to things.

As Dons and Adam have said, they are noisier than their Japanese counterparts.

·
Registered
139 Posts
How quickly does the chain tensioner fail?? My bike sounds like it's rattling really bad when cold sometimes.. I cud shut it off and start again and it will be gone.. i can also bring the rpms up slightly when it's making the noise and it will go away until I let it idle again.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
How quickly does the chain tensioner fail?? My bike sounds like it's rattling really bad when cold sometimes.. I cud shut it off and start again and it will be gone.. i can also bring the rpms up slightly when it's making the noise and it will go away until I let it idle again.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Not the same model bike.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had it confirmed yesterday that the noise is quite normal just my ears are used to jap quiteness .

It sounds mega on the fly though

·
Registered
282 Posts
Guess I am not used to the noises the MV makes either. At idle it sounds rattly, give it any gas and it quiets.

Doubt it is the cam chain, the bike has only 1282 miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts