MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what's the general view on this? From a looks perspective, I'd say it's a win, but the government doesn't do good things for the public unless there's a negative side :)

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
We still have to pay for a road fund licence but there will no longer be a requirement to display a paper disc on the vehicle.
I understand that a rfl cant be transferred if selling a vehicle. The prev owner has to cash it in and the new owner has to apply for a new rfl.
This is a pia .
Joe

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
They are also giving you the option to pay by monthly direct debit rather than in full or 6 monthly.

It's a win win for the government/DVLA, they save on printing and admin of the disks and they make money on the part monthly tax that the old/new owner looses as you can only claim back whole months tax remaining and the new owner has to tax it from the beginning of the month they take ownership, seem to recall a figure of £60m was mentioned ;)

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I'm just going to go out on a limb and say this will significantly lower the amount of stolen tax discs...

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I'm just going to go out on a limb and say this will significantly lower the amount of stolen tax discs...

And instantly put out of business those companies who make the go faster tax disc holders ;)

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
And instantly put out of business those companies who make the go faster tax disc holders ;)
Exactly!..., that is what I was going to say.
I've a nice billet tax disc holder with 'MV Agusta' engraved around it's circumference.

Having said that., I much prefer having my bike without any tax disc holder..., no matter where you put it ., or how nice? It is, finding a place where the disc and holder look good is impossible:).

·
Registered
843 Posts
It is also going to put out of business the (massive army of) small private traders who works from home and doesn't have off-road parking for their "stock" vehicles. these guys usually work at the lower end of the market with tight margins, so I can see a lot of them packing up rather than going through the pain of finding affordable storage premises.

·
Registered
843 Posts
In the same way they do now - ANPR cameras on vehicles constantly running, running numbers through PNC, etc., etc.,

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Exactly!..., that is what I was going to say.
I've a nice billet tax disc holder with 'MV Agusta' engraved around it's circumference.

Having said that., I much prefer having my bike without any tax disc holder..., no matter where you put it ., or how nice? It is, finding a place where the disc and holder look good is impossible:).
I have one of those on my Jota Brian...It cracked ! That's what happens with a Jota:f4:

I leave my new tax disc at home..I can't be bothered with it anymore...:blah:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I leave my new tax disc at home..I can't be bothered with it anymore...:blah:
I just ended up leaving mine under the seat on my bikes. I was only questioned where my tax disc was one time and I explained that I've had a couple stolen in the past. Got a warning and wasn't hassled again.

·
Vendor
5,638 Posts
Australia started fazing them out a few years ago.In Australia they are called registration labels.The only problem I have found with my customers is they forget to pay the registration because the label (or tax disc) is not their to remind them.We get our registration papers about 3 weeks before it's due,so some people file the papers and forget to pay.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
For the moment we have the old system. I just went online to tax the 1000R..It is insured and has a new MOT cert.

The system will only allow me to tax it from 1-8-14. This means if I tax today I will lose a month if I do it on line.

As far as I understand the system if I ride the bike without a current tax disc I could be carted off to the tower for an introduction to the pleasures of the thumb screw and rack at her Majesty's pleasure !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts