MV Agusta Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,099 Posts
Yes, and search on this forum yields plenty about proper use of dielectric grease and adverse weather conditions. If used properly with quality weather resistant connections it does help. It can also produce unwanted insulation from current flow, that’s a given.
 

·
Wing Nut
Joined
·
21,560 Posts
I, for one, rarely (if ever) use dielectric grease.
I have a small tube, but it seldom finds its way into my hands.
Modern sealed connectors should not need any more water proofing.
I mostly use it to ease assembly of really tight sealed connectors.
Sometimes on old unsealed connectors that I have found prone to retaining water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
Ok. 3 pages of posts and not one mention of the battery and/or battery cables.
That's where I would start....
And remember ALL electrical problems are "ground related" until proven otherwise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Ok. 3 pages of posts and not one mention of the battery and/or battery cables.
That's where I would start....
And remember ALL electrical problems are "ground related" until proven otherwise.
I can tell you that it is not the battery or cables. I has been in the shop from January till March for battery related problems. The issue would seem to be electrical as most of the warnings are sensors. I have no idea what happened or what caused it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,099 Posts
Allworld, I realize your bike isn't present at the moment but is the dash connection seated well?

Ahhhh... regarding Dielectric grease and not to keep harping... I didn't realize the extent to which the myth about slopping grease in connections is common. (Youtube is full of all sorts of weird stuff.) I hope my posts DO NOT add to that myth! Don't do that. 🤦‍♂️ Modern connectors are pretty great and Ed's post #42 is helpful. --MV Muppet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I will be picking it up in about an hour or so, I'll check, but when I left the house with it in the morning it was fine........
Then with out any warning I was in trouble.
This sort of thing happened with my Brutale too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So I retrieved my bike, before I loaded it into my van I tried to start it. You know it, started right up ... no warnings no check engine, and throttle worked like normal.
It's still in the van, parking conditions won't allow me to get it out and need help to unload it. Once it is in my garage I will let it run for a bit and then take it around the block... Unbelievable. MY MV-TVL-LTD.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
23,502 Posts
Rob, there must be a loose connection or a short somewhere....I would think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Rob, there must be a loose connection or a short somewhere....I would think.
Well you're a smart guy so you are probably correct. How to find it before it leaves me stranded, is the question. It seems odd that it somehow fixed itself, so I really don't know what's going on. Once I can get into the garage I can take a closer look.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
23,502 Posts
All it takes, sometimes, is a vibration or a bump to shut things off. I had. ZX-11 on which I had installed aftermarket horns. Each time I took a hard right after that, the bike would blow the main fuse and die. Only after a riding buddy asked what the last thing done to the bike was did I realize that the burn installation immediately preceded the problem. It was found that orientation of the horn created a dead sherry at right lock turns.
 

·
Registered
Turismo Veloce Rosso EAS -20
Joined
·
14 Posts
My 2 cents, moisture was lurking somewhere in the handlebar switches. I have had similar issues couple of times even in old school bikes like VFR 800 & KTM 950. That VFR lost starting capability; recovered by CRC 5-56. And KTM lost all lights, recovered by CRC 5-56. Even similar issue in 2 years old car (BMW), lost all functionalities in front doors..water inside side mirrors, poorly protected PCBA, causing CAN-bus short circuit. And again, CRC 5-56. And not applying water anymore on those pussy mirrors while washing, lessons learnt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
It does sound like an intermittent grounding of an abraded wire or bare charged line perhaps caused by water making the circuit. Takes time to weep in then create the short. It drips off or evaporates with time and shazam the ghost in the machine is gone............. for now....
Movement or vibration of said problem area could recreate the same symptoms.
As mentioned the engine install may have nicked or crushed a harness, cracked a connector.

Come on Rob, you are already thinking of checking it. May as well find the little rascal and either improve the resale value or....... You Know......:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
It does sound like an intermittent grounding of an abraded wire or bare charged line perhaps caused by water making the circuit. Takes time to weep in then create the short. It drips off or evaporates with time and shazam the ghost in the machine is gone............. for now....
Movement or vibration of said problem area could recreate the same symptoms.
As mentioned the engine install may have nicked or crushed a harness, cracked a connector.

Come on Rob, you are already thinking of checking it. May as well find the little rascal and either improve the resale value or....... You Know......:)
I know........... we'll see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,915 Posts
im sorry to read this has happened to you,
have you thought of contacting mv agusta italy directly and flipping a pancake politely and explaining the problem to them directly and seeing if they can help. I did this with my aprilia all the way from australia and it went hight up the chain in italy so much so that i got free repairs in australia from aprilia italy backing the product and working with the aussie mechanics.
when u go straight to the source and eliminate the middle man someitmes it helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
You can figure the gremlin out. Hang in there. Boston Strong. Would be nice to see you on a MV if I ever make it back to the Smokey’s again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
In the past Ken at MV USA has been very helpful. I don't know what the actual issue is, so I hesitate to get him invloved. I think a need a person who can help me trace down any electrical issues.

Well I'm going to the Smokey Mts. in Sept./Oct. That's for sure. I maybe on a bicycle but I'll be there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Its sad to hear of anyone so had enough of something they obviously love having - whatever it is.
Best of luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
It sounds like a possible ground interruption, to me, as it seems almost system wide; computers and “locally rectified” circuits hate loss of ground as the power transistors start to swing wildly. One thing I’d do it to re-inspect where main ground is, remove, clean, (wire brush), reassemble, tighten as best you feel you should (like, really tight).

You could weather proof with a dialectric grease, but, remember anything called dialectric means it impedes electron flow, not enhances it.

I would then take each connector I can get my hands on, pull it apart, inspect for corrosion, clean if found, LEAVE ALONE IF NONE FOUND, reseat.

Then do the same with all fuses/relays/headlamp, etc.

There is a decent contact cleaner called deoxit (we just generically called all of their products “cramolin”), they make a range of contact cleaners for specific uses, I would look into that.

I’d take a whole day to patiently do the job, as a last ditch; the gig is to guide good electron flow and solidify ground, but you may see some potential failure points along the way that you may be able to make less vulnerable, too.

Very best of luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
It sounds like a possible ground interruption, to me, as it seems almost system wide; computers and “locally rectified” circuits hate loss of ground as the power transistors start to swing wildly. One thing I’d do it to re-inspect where main ground is, remove, clean, (wire brush), reassemble, tighten as best you feel you should (like, really tight).

You could weather proof with a dialectric grease, but, remember anything called dialectric means it impedes electron flow, not enhances it.

I would then take each connector I can get my hands on, pull it apart, inspect for corrosion, clean if found, LEAVE ALONE IF NONE FOUND, reseat.

Then do the same with all fuses/relays/headlamp, etc.

There is a decent contact cleaner called deoxit (we just generically called all of their products “cramolin”), they make a range of contact cleaners for specific uses, I would look into that.

I’d take a whole day to patiently do the job, as a last ditch; the gig is to guide good electron flow and solidify ground, but you may see some potential failure points along the way that you may be able to make less vulnerable, too.

Very best of luck!
Oh-

I meant to say that the ground fault can be precipitated by an expansion somewhere due to heat; this could be a crummy solder joint gone cold or ground not being super tight.

You’d be amazed how many mixing consoles I’ve fixed by just tightening ground straps across buckets...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,136 Posts
41 - 60 of 79 Posts
Top