MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

Registered
Out of curiosity Rob had your bike been wet or rained on recent to your last ride?

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Yes I was caught in the rain last week on my way home from work.
That is something that happens often as I do ride in wet weather.

Premium Member
Dielectric grease on all electrical connections? It鈥檚 very important if riding in wet/moist weather. It鈥檚 equally important to remove and refresh the same dielectric grease once in a while. Small electric shorts are gremlins that can cause safety concerns and bring on extreme cursing. One needs extra diligence in full weather conditions. It鈥檚 easy to apply but certainly a pain in the ass but better than trashing a ride.

Super Moderator
Where is the bike now, Rob? Have you tried to start it since?

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
It's at a friends house in Somerville, next to where it broke down......... It's good to have a wide net of friends.
I will pick it up today after work. I will of course try to start it, and see how it goes.

Super Moderator
I am keenly interested in how it behaves, and I am genuinely sorry for the troubles that bike has caused.

Premium Member
Best use the grease on your other bike as well.

Registered
No idea if water is the causation of Rob's issue, but I haven't read many stories of people who consistently ride MVs in rain without problems. I'm just very skeptical as to whether MV ever conducted extreme weather testing, which seems would be necessary on a sport tourer like the TVS.

Reactions: Allworld

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
I used it in the rain last year at the tail of the dragon....... it rained a lot that week. I have also used every bike I have ever owned in the rain. I rode my Sprit for 5 days strait in the rain, from Iowa to Oregon and up to Washington in the rain without any issues. I have even ridden a cheap Chinese scooter in the rain without any issues... go figure.

Registered
I used it in the rain last year at the tail of the dragon....... it rained a lot that week. I have also used every bike I have ever owned in the rain.
I'm just not convinced that MVs are water tight enough to withstand the medium to long term corrosive effects of regular wetting & drying of electronics and electrics. Read lots of anecdotal stories of issues MV owners have experienced with bikes that have been water washed or ridden periodically in rain.

Wing Nut
All I can say to that Kevin is the MV uses the same sealed wiring connectors as many other motorcycles and automobiles.
I think anecdotal evidence of water problems on MVs is just that. I have ridden in downpours on my 910R more than once, and wash her with a garden hose periodically. I have never experienced a water related problem.

Super Moderator
@italia: So, without water intrusion to start corrosion, corrosion can't occur? So it is water... :unsure: :sneaky: :cool:

Registered
All I can say to that Kevin is the MV uses the same sealed wiring connectors as many other motorcycles and automobiles.
I think anecdotal evidence of water problems on MVs is just that. I have ridden in downpours on my 910R more than once, and wash her with a garden hose periodically. I have never experienced a water related problem.
@italia: So, without water intrusion to start corrosion, corrosion can't occur? So it is water... :unsure: :sneaky: :cool:
I'm not saying water is always a problem on all MVs. But what if water is reaching more than just electrical connections, and happens to be seeping onto small circuit boards, or creating a high moisture condition around circuits. Again, just thinking out loud here without any real evidence.
"Moisture in humid air, air pollutants (atmospheric corrosion), or direct contact with water or an electrolyte solution like gatorade can cause electrical traces in a printed circuit board to start corroding. There are a number of corrosion mechanisms that degrade device performance or cause it to fail outright."

Reactions: silentservice703

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
Well, it's hard to know definitively without tearing into it. I ride in the rain and when you are touring on a motorcycle, which I love to do, rain is part of the experience.
It is often a blessing since dead bugs are also a part of the experience and they need to be washed off....

Premium Member
And do you guys use dielectric grease or not?

Super Moderator
This sounds more like a wire rub through after the recent engine replacement. As Ed said: CAN bus failure due to a short.

Reactions: andygriff

Super Moderator
And do you guys use dielectric grease or not?

Dielectric grease is misused in most electrical applications. A Dielectric prevents transmission of electrical charge therefore impedes current flow.
Using a waterproofing grease or compound on cable connections does keep water out, but this does not appear to be that.

"Dielectric grease

Dielectric grease, or tune-up grease, is a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion. ... The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection.Feb 26, 2015"

Registered
Good info Chuck. I spent some time recently looking at a hardware technology (not for motorcycle or related applications) that deals with electrical noise reduction on electrical conduction. It concentrates and manages the electron stream in a way that preserves signal integrity rather than just relying on the conductor assisted by noise filtration. Kinda off topic here though

Reactions: silentservice703
21 - 40 of 79 Posts