MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Formerly known as Lumiator
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would be interested in getting to know how you drain your fuel tank, e.g. to get the fuel pump out and transplant it into a new tank.
Sucking on a simple hose would work, but i think that there might be a more intelligent way than tasting some fuel, except driving until it's empty.

Would it be possible to use the fuel pump itself for this job?

·
Registered
661 Posts
siphon from auto parts store

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Fragile and Joe.
Seems to be easy then.

Juergen

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
?

Joe;
does the fuel line '10+ have a John Guest fitting at both ends?

if so is the one at the rail valved? probably not

so remove the John Guest from the red fitting on the tank and quickly slip

some 1/4"/6mm fuel line on it and let the tank drain, yes, you will spill

some

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Joe;
does the fuel line '10+ have a John Guest fitting at both ends?

if so is the one at the rail valved? probably not

so remove the John Guest from the red fitting on the tank and quickly slip

some 1/4"/6mm fuel line on it and let the tank drain, yes, you will spill

some
Hi Noel,

I am taking a step backwards here for a moment.

I just did a suction test on a 09 fuel pump with a quick connect fitted and fuel emerges ( tastes bloody awful ).

I did the same with the MY 2010 fuel pump and there is a definite vacuum ie no fuel emerges. There is a different design of pump unit I surmise.

So, I am asking this question now . If the 2010 fuel hose JG fitting is removed from the red plastic pump fitting, if the bike is switched off ( ie fuel pump not energised ) , is it correct to state that no fuel will flow out of the tank ?

It is wise to be careful here...

I removed my earlier post as misleading..and pmed the OP.

After further research in the manual ( should have looked here first ! )

The manual states procedure to remove the fuel tank , after propping it up on the bike using a factory support, disconnect the electrical connection. Then disconnect the fuel hose quick connect at the fuel pump base.

Then remove the tank to the bench and drain from the tank opening using an external pump/ syphon

So, In summary it would appear that removing the fuel hose from the red plastic fitting at the base of the fuel pump does not result in fuel being released from the tank. There will be a small release from the hose itself and the manual mentions to be aware of this.

As for the fuel hose female JG connects Noel is most likely 100 % right in that the JG fittings are not valved. I don't have a 2010 fuel hose to check it. The 2009 JG fittings at the fuel rail are not valved either.

Joe

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have read the manual more carefully. Haven't seen the hints in there.

Will make some pictures as soon as I find the time for the swap job.

Thank you all.

Juergen

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
Joe;
sounds like they put a check valve in the '10+ pumps.....I only had my hands on the plate :drummer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts