MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend have a 06 'Brutale 750 and it draws power when not in use. (In any case, did it before winter storage.) If I run daily, it is no problem, but once the bike is stationary for more than 5 days, the battery is empty. Anybody have tips on what is the culprit?

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
The meter draws current to keep the clock running....but you really need a maintenance charger....buy an OptiMate 3+ or 4...plug it in and forget it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I am the one with the problem :)

I don't have an alarm, but the battery has started to drain way faster than normal. Changed the battery at the end of last years seson, but the problem continued. I removed the battery for winter storage and haven't really had the chance to further investiage the problem. The seson hasn't really started in Norway yet :)

I will try to find my mutimeter and try to locate the leak. But if anyone knows if there are any known boxes or wires that typically causes such drain, I'll really appreciate a hint.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Welcome Hugo

Mate I'm sorry to say but this is something very common amongst MV's and many modern bikes. Like Ed said, the clock drains power, but that is not all, the CPU and charging system can also drain the battery. Most later model MV's actually come from the factory with a battery tender. There are many models available on the market and you don't need the most expensive either, here are some you can look at. -

http://www.designcorse.co.uk/Mv_Agusta_Service_Items/Battery_Fighter_Charger
or
http://batterytender.com/motorcycle.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, thanks for the help. I have a battery charger so I will manage, but I still remember the times when I could park the bike for a week and still start it without any problems :) There is a power leak somewhere, and hopefully I'll find it. But If not, I'll just be frequent with the charger. Not a bit issue really :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put in a pretty cheap batteri, so that could be the cause as well. Don't remeber the name. I'll check the battery and start looking for the source of the drain as soon as the damn snow melts. Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
It's not the bike....you just answered your own question of what is the cause. You put in a cheap battery. It was cheap because the manufacturer used crappy materials and poor assembly quality controls. The plates inside your battery are deteriorating.

You can make it last with a good tender...again, you get what you pay for. Optimate is the best. Recommended by every major motorcycle manufacturer.

When you buy a replacement, get a good battery. I have found that Yuasa batteries (if properly maintained) last for many years. I had 8 on my old 600 when i sold it (and still going strong) and have 4 on my original MV so far.....

Not to mention the Yuasa battery in my track only SV which is rarely ridden....it is 3 years old and was pulled from a warranty bin 2 years ago (declared dead by the dealership) and was recovered with an Optimate 3 charger....still going strong today.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If the bike isnt used for a while then the plates inside the battery will sulphate, this sulphate layer is an insulator, which then inhibits the battery from being charged and discharged.
Most good m/cycle chargers (C-Tek, Optimate) etc have a de-sulphate ultrasonic pulse cycle built in to their charging / maintanance program that keeps this plate sulphation under control
If your bike is going to be standing for a while (more than 2-3 weeks) always have it permanently connected to a good charger such as C-Tek or Optimate (on maintanance or winter program)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts