MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Only a moron can make this difficult. Bike is about 10 mins away from road legal - I was to replace the left-side turn signals that were smashed-up when we went down.

I purchased four (4) rizoma Graffio signals, preferring to make the look uniform. I connected all the leads correctly (I believe - white to red, black to yellow/green, red to red, etc), soldered joints, used bullet connectors...and VOI--ehh...no. No flashing, not so much as a blink. Sure, the dash indicates flashing. The graffio signals have a load box built in, apparently; also I actually prefer manic flashing turn signals, so I did not use the resistors provided (don't tell me the resistors were necessary. That's not what 'that shop guy' told me). So long story short, the fuses are blown. I don't know when this happened. What. The. Fuck. I've never had this problem on any other bike. Something does not want me to touch a brutale ever again.

p.s. i did try after one rizoma was installed in rear, with OEM on front - this did work. It's only once I thought all was kosher and installed remaining three that kaput.

Advice?

And where are brutale fuses born - can I get these at an american auto supply or are they made by someone's grandfather in a backyard in piedmont?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
There are no relays on a Brutale. There is however an SPU. It is available from your dealer for about $600. That's the bad news.

The good news is if it is just blown fuses it is an easy and inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. I honestly do not get it. So what exactly is this 'not fuse box' looking object I find under the right side panel? I checked the 'not fuses' under the cover indicating the turn signals (coded DX, SX, maybe? don't remember), and took out two yellow 5 amp 'not fuses' that were shot in the middle. All other 'not fuses' fine.

I am absolutely lost. I have these two unhappy looking yellow creature/aliens in front of me, and one sound replacement yellow alien in the brutale toolbag that I don't want to sacrifice until I have better idea of what's shakin'. The machine still runs like diesel tractor, btw.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I don't know much about Brutales but Carl does.

This is a pic of an SPU from a previous post.

You haven't got much to lose by trying to replace popped out fuses with fuses of same rating.

SPU burn out does happen on these bikes...and they cost a few bucks too. However not much repeat of problem once the offending unit is swapped out.

I hope yours is just the fuse.

joe

Attachments

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Sorry, not fuses, I meant relays. I'll amend that post.

I think you should go to the parts store and buy another couple 5 amp fuses. Plug them in place of the broken ones. If they blow again, it will have cost you a few $ to realize you have a short somewhere.

If that's the case, go back and look again at the three connections you made after you tried the bike with one rizoma and one stock. Also look at the the wiring to the indicators that were crashed. It is possible the wire was nicked and is shorting out against itself.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
that wiring is correct btw, i just checked mine yesterday.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will certainly get more fuses. Thanks for checking your wires, Al - that's reassuring. As for the resistors, they aren't necessary, can someone check me here?
Thanks again, guys -

·
Registered
203 Posts
Why not try, at least on one side, remove the new turn signals and put back the original, if everything is working OK at least you know that the SPU is working properly.

I have the LED turn signals on my Brutale, I installed the resistors and everything is working properly from day one.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I had led indicators on my 910R and had the resisitors fitted, we did blow one fuse though so replaced it and all was good, on any pre 10 brutales any LED indecators NEED resistors.

James

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
what happens if you don't run them? I haven't run them on my bike front or rear since owning it, nor did the previous owner. Am I asking for burnt electrics?

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
LEDs?

Sydney 910R;
'08 910R, Kellerman LEDs on the front, Clear Alternatives LED tail light 5,000mi NO RESISTORS

took the stock ones off, put the LEDs on, yes they blink a little faster BFD

maybe some bozo will see them:smoking:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Some bozo" - that's precisely why I want to engage LED w/o resistors. Especially in bozo-prone DMV-area. Because God knows that texting your two-year old's Chinese au pair to remind her of her oboe/yoga class while eating that sloppy portabella vegan gluten-free sandwich is oh-so-more important than keeping your eyes on Route 66W and hands on the wheel of a two-ton German SUV.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Electrical things hate me too!

G'Day,

Just fitted a Melotti tail with indicators. Had much the same problem. Fitted one and worked o.k. Fitted next, then nothing plus blown fuse.

Colour blind myself and tried to go with matching wires. Finally got my meter out and identified live and earth properly. Live is the hole in the plug (from bike) from memory and the pin earth. Matching wire colours didn't work. They were all different on mine anyway.

Anyway patience and a couple of fuses got me there and all works o.k. Fitted resistors also. Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everything works now. Simply replaced fuses, I thought the soldering job passable (PLENTY practice with last piece of shit bike), so didn't touch it. No idea why they blew, maybe too much mix/match experimentation? Kept the resistors off..ahh...refreshingly manic flashing, just how I wanted.

Further news, got a new registration plate after the last one flew off into the woods along with me. Road legal - eight months later, almost to the day. Apparently Motor Vehicle Department sees me fit to take the roads again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts