MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Senna F4 750 US model 2002 17tkm
Hi folks
As i already mentioned in my new member introduction i was a bit of an idiot and connected my battery the wrong way round. (hate myself)
i replaced the obvious things that go wrong which was two fuses, and took a look here for hints on what else might of been damaged. A few people mentioned the diode, and indeed i found that the diode was inop so i soldered a new one in, connected a battery and turned on the ignition, the fuel pump started and all looked normal. pushed the starter and it started straight away and idled normally.
i waited till it was warm and then revved the engine..... it died instantly
i checked the fuses and diode and all is well, but when i turned the ignition on the fuel pump no longer starts or will the starter show any sign of life. the intruments light up normally and the rev counter does its check.
Anyone have any i ideas?... i am clueless and not so good with electrical things.
thanks in advance for any help

Cheers
Kelvin

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
There is a diode pack on the right side of the bike under the seat rail. Check that.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Check the diode under the seat and also the relay that serves the fuel pump and injectors.

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
There are three things that essentially control your fuel pump circuit:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow folks, thanks a lot for the info... special thanks to silent with fantastic info that even i can follow (y)(y)... i have just got back from work so i havent checked on any of the suggestions yet except of course the fuses which were all ok, but this has happened...
i charged the battery im using over night. connected it to the bike again a few minutes ago and she started as if all was ok!! but the second i rev her over 2000rpm she dies and goes back to the same symptoms i already mentioned, (lights are on but no one at home :)) ... as she was in idle i checked the voltage which was 14,4V so i assume the alternator/regulator/rectifier are ok. the Bat voltage has gone down to 12,4V ....could it just be a duff battery? i havent got another battery hanging around so i cant try anything else right now. the bat im using was one i took out of my wifes car cos it was weak but was just about working a few months ago. (it was not able to crank her car over on a chilly morning)... maybe its given up now and breaks down when under load?? and even when its showing over 12v? ....
all this has happened because i wanted to revive the bike after its winter sleep but the expensive lith bat that i bought for her just two years ago has gone dead even though i did charge it twice over winter with a special charger. :mad::mad::mad:...my son is an expert on reviving lithium batterys but had no joy with it, he thinks it has a short circuit and i havent cut it open yet to enable him to take a look inside. (its sealed)... and unfortunately my son (who is a software/electronics engineer) lives 200 miles away so he is not available on the spot to help on this and is only here when he visits his old folks :confused:. so before i go about going into detailed checks should i just buy a new bat first? Do you guys also have the impression that automotive battery quality is going down hill? i have had to buy so many new batterys for my vehicles the last few years... my Ducati needs one, my CBX had to have one also after 3 years, plus the lawn mower, my younger sons car, and like i said my wifes car too... are batterys ganging up on me??
thanks for any thoughts

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
Battery quality is based on cost. Buy well, buy once. Yuasa is my choice for motorcycle batteries.

AS for whether the battery is dodgy or not...it could be, but the bike is running on the alternator and excess voltage when the engine is spinning.

The symptom of dying as revs go up sounds more like fuel starvation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Battery quality is based on cost. Buy well, buy once. Yuasa is my choice for motorcycle batteries.

AS for whether the battery is dodgy or not...it could be, but the bike is running on the alternator and excess voltage when the engine is spinning.

The symptom of dying as revs go up sounds more like fuel starvation.
Wouldnt that be great, put some gas in the tank and all is well :D... there seems to be a good amount sloshing around in there, i must say though its gas from last august, and they put horrid stuff in it nowadays like 5% ethanol, even in our 98 octane fuel. i know its even worse over there in your neck of the woods, i dont like it at all, messed up my lawn mowers carb! :confused:...
..... unlike my Ducati this bike has be very trouble free up until now. a seal went in 2004 on the left fork as i was doing a second lap on the Nurburgring which ended what was a great day. dont want that oily stuff on your brakes or tires, (thanks again to the Speer dealership who took a fork seal out of a brand new showroom bike to get me on the road again) but that was it. oil and filter was all that has been done on this bike apart from tires and adding a power commander to get rid of kinda lag in the throttle (which worked!)... i suppose i will check the suggested things to see if the fuel pump is the culprit. thanks again silent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update: Fuel pump has passed all tests, diodes etc seem to be working ok, found that the power commander has a slightly melted bottom which didnt damage anything inside as far as a visual inspection goes, it lights up like it always did when the bike is running. it was is under the seat over the exhaust so thats an indication of how hot it gets there. i dont know what else to check, a new battery is on its way

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
I would be tempted to remove the Power Commander and see if things work.

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
Power Commanders are infamous for failing and the first thing to do is disconnect them when troubleshooting a problem like yours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: New battery arrived. Installed it ( what a pain) and everything works like it should do. Started immediately and reved Without any problems. I measured 14,4 to 14,5 volts on the battery terminals irrespective of what revs so i think that is ok. (Correct me if im wrong)... so it looks to me like it was just a row of unfortunate Coincidences and the human factor that caused this hassle. To sum it up. Battery connected wrong way round. Problems caused by that mishap were solved through this great site which brought my attention to a 20cent diode. The battery i was using was duff which caused a new problem... new fuses, new diode, new battery and bobs your uncle, all is well. Batterys are weird things sometimes, Are they female?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts