MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 1090RR with 9000 miles. Two recent electrical faults;
The indicators stop,working after about 45 minutes riding. Ok,again after a rest.
Started the bike in the morning from an underground park in Paris, brought to my hotel, put the luggage on it and then nothing on the starter button. Fuses good, stand and clutch cut outs seemed OK. Sprayed everything with WD 40. 4 hours later it started and has run perfectly for the next week and 1000 miles.
On the journey into Paris I was caught in two tremendous thunder storms. But strange it started first thing and then wouldn't after 30 minutes! I tried it every 30 minutes or so and then after 4 hours it started. Don't know if the previous day's rain caused it, or whether the WD 40 or time cured it?
Any ideas anyone?

·
Vendor
5,367 Posts
Check all electrical connectors,clean and coat with dielectric grease.I dare say moisture is the enemy here by what you are saying.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Check the connector and wires going to the starter relay, they can short and fuse together. If you ride for a while and then touch these wires they may seem very hot, which leads to the melting and shorts. I believe there is also an aftermarket wire kit for the starter and ground points which helps eliminate these types of issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The staring problem I eventually found was one of the ingnition keys was faulty. It seemed to start once ok, but not again in the day. The other key is fine. When I eventually got it going in Paris, it was because I eventually picked the good key out of my pocket by chance! This being my first "modern " bike I didn't consider this a possibility at the time, but figured it out over time.
Have never found out why the indicators pack up.

·
Super Moderator
22,472 Posts
The staring problem I eventually found was one of the ingnition keys was faulty. It seemed to start once ok, but not again in the day. The other key is fine. When I eventually got it going in Paris, it was because I eventually picked the good key out of my pocket by chance! This being my first "modern " bike I didn't consider this a possibility at the time, but figured it out over time.
Have never found out why the indicators pack up.
Have you found and changed the "intermittency" relay? (Flasher Relay)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose that is the logical first step. But when flasher relays have gone on previous bikes the indicators just don't work at all. In this case they work most of the time. Where is it by the way?

·
Super Moderator
22,472 Posts
It is up under the dash as shown in the boxed part...

B4 1090RR Intermittance.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts