MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened three times now. 2005 Brutale, 3k miles. I rode to dinner about three weeks ago for an hour. When I went to leave, turned the key - no power at all. Started tinkering in the parking lot, checked fuses, it finally got power. Ran fine for three weeks until Thursday. Rode for about one hour, bike was around 190 degrees when I turned it off, went to leave, no power. After about 10 minutes, got power again.

Today, I rode for about 2 hours, sat in traffic for a long while. Temps got up to 236. When I got home I put it in the garage and decided to turn it back on to see if the problem still existed. Low and behold, no power. Now that I was in my garage I could try and troubleshoot. I left the key in the on position with the seats off. While putting something together on my work bench to help my wife, the power just all the sudden came back on after about 15 minutes.

Any ideas on what would cause this? Bad fuse box, what? Any body else with the same problem. I just rode to the store and it started fine both arriving and leaving. Has to be something with heat? Who knows. Keep in mind I am no master mechanic.

- thanks guys

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey drewbell. My Brutale is in the shop right now for an apparent bad fuse box. I don't have the details yet, but the mechanic is telling me that this is a known issue with Brutales. The fuse box goes bad and a spark never makes it to the plugs. I have an '04. That's about all I know for now, but can keep you posted as to my progress.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Just throwing my hat in the ring - my Brutale did exactly the same thing (for the first time) on Saturday. Checked the usual suspects then took all the tank bolts off to get at the ECU - tried the key one last time before removing the tank - lo and behold it worked.

Frustrating :jsm:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Rents. So what does that imply??? Holy Smokes!!...you messed with the tank bolts???, then it worked? What am I missing?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read up on all the different electrical problems but none seem to match the same scenario we all have. I thought maybe the ignition switch, loose connection, or the service power box. I talked to the local dealership and they said it could just be a fluke. A fluke doesn't happen multiple times. They said I can bring it in and they will check out everything for me. I am going to wait and see if it happens again because I checked all the connections this morning before riding. Made sure everything was seated correctly and all the fuses were seated. Also checked cabling as best I could to make sure everything seemed ok.

I took it out today and rode for nearly an hour and a half. Got it home and it powered right back up with no problems.

I plan on working through the electrical system if/when I get it to happen again at home. I'm about to go on a 7 day motorcycle trip so I hope I can resolve it before then. Or, at the least, it has resolved itself. I love when problems fix themselves.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to have an intermittent problem with the injector fuse. Sometimes the fuse would blow. Other times the bike would stop working, and would only work again if i removed and replaced the injector fuse. This would only happen after riding the bike hard on hot days. I think the fuse box tend to get kind of hot - especially the holder for the injector fuse. Over time I think this holder get deformed and the contact between to the fuse becomes unreliable. Also the more times you pull it out and replace it when the metal is hot and soft, the more open and unreliable it gets.

I took some pliers to injector fuse holder and tightened it around the fuse. I haven't had that problem in several months now. I've put 7k miles on the bike this summer. The problem has not happened for the last 4k miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Electrical problems

I have an 04 Brutale which also sometimes refuses to start.It goes through its diagnostics but nothing when I push the start button .It has happened a couple of times.I replaced all the fuses and has since been OK .The I did notice when it failed to go the fuel pump did not prime itself so I believe the fuel pump relay was at fault.The relay I believe is housed just below the fuses down the side of the tank but cannot be seen as they are encased in resin ( god knows why ).I have also been told new improved later model ones are being fitted under warranty ? I am assuming they have relays that can be replaced ? My bike is too old for this to replaced under warranty so plan to bypass the relay too the fuel pump with an auxillary relay .Should be a cheap and effective fix ,if that is in fact the problem .:brutale:

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have an 04 Brutale which also sometimes refuses to start.It goes through its diagnostics but nothing when I push the start button .It has happened a couple of times.I replaced all the fuses and has since been OK .The I did notice when it failed to go the fuel pump did not prime itself so I believe the fuel pump relay was at fault.The relay I believe is housed just below the fuses down the side of the tank but cannot be seen as they are encased in resin ( god knows why ).I have also been told new improved later model ones are being fitted under warranty ? I am assuming they have relays that can be replaced ? My bike is too old for this to replaced under warranty so plan to bypass the relay too the fuel pump with an auxillary relay .Should be a cheap and effective fix ,if that is in fact the problem .:brutale:
I was about to do the same.Bypass etc. But read on this site something about MV were replacing the box in and out of warranty. I think the original is a POS. So hopefully the replacement is updated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
here's what my 750S (2004) does:
recently when I tried to start her she wouldnt - power on, starter motor working - after a few attempts did start as usual, then after a few hundred yards the engine cuts out suddenly as if she stopped firing in the engine (all lights & indicators working) then after a while she would start again and then engine cuts out again; had to push her back home and now she wouldn't run at all (also because I kept trying and ran the battery down gradually). Have had to replace the infamous ECU unit in the past too due to a different issue so tried put the old one back (engine used to run no probs with the old one) to see if it's down to the 'new' CDI that has done a few thousand miles since replacement and was working ok but no joy
Dont know what to do now. Cant even get her to a (good) garage...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright - figured I would give an update on my electrical problem.

First off, this is only a problem with getting power. When I do get power to the system it runs and acts fine.

I turn the key to on and nothing. All fuses are good. I tapped the fuse box and voila, it gains power again. This worked twice this evening as the problem seem to be getting worse.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
Relay inside fuse box is failing...hence the "tap" gets it going again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Relay inside fuse box is failing...hence the "tap" gets it going again.
Add me to the list, my '04 exhibits the exact symptoms....ride for awhile, get it hot, shut it off....complete lack of power when the key is turned back on. Wait.........start her up and everything is fine.

So I am still a bit confused on the fix...will the dealer replace it in both in and out of warranty bikes?

Brock

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes - the dealer will replace it for a price if it is out of warranty. I haven't called to check prices yet. I read on another thread that it is $650 for the part. The only thing I see is that the relay is in the fuse box itself.

I've contacted MV Agusta USA and am waiting a response. I'll probably call ATD and see if they can get me the part.

I know shit happens, but I really don't want to drop $650 to replace a $30 relay.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Spoke to FBF this morning. Part number is: 8000A5196 for $391. They said it will take about 3 weeks to get it. They also called it the CDI box. Is this correct?

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
Spoke to FBF this morning. Part number is: 8000A5196 for $391. They said it will take about 3 weeks to get it. They also called it the CDI box. Is this correct?
Yeah...they insist on calling it a "CDI" box...it is technically the Service Power Unit (at least that is the description in the MV Parts Catalog).

Interestingly , the 2008 catalog lists this as part number 8000A9300.
The 2006 catalog shows the number they gave you. I would have thought they are the same, but maybe some small differences inside?

Anyway...yes, that's the fuse/relay box.

·
Registered
26 Posts
here's what my 750S (2004) does:
recently when I tried to start her she wouldnt - power on, starter motor working - after a few attempts did start as usual, then after a few hundred yards the engine cuts out suddenly as if she stopped firing in the engine (all lights & indicators working) then after a while she would start again and then engine cuts out again; had to push her back home and now she wouldn't run at all (also because I kept trying and ran the battery down gradually). Have had to replace the infamous ECU unit in the past too due to a different issue so tried put the old one back (engine used to run no probs with the old one) to see if it's down to the 'new' CDI that has done a few thousand miles since replacement and was working ok but no joy
Dont know what to do now. Cant even get her to a (good) garage...

any ideas guys what my problem could be/how to sort it out? :cry:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts