MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there team,
Firstly I would like to state that 'theKnurl' is an absolute bloody champion bloke and indeed a zen master of information! - He definitely rocks ! :yo:

Well I originally thought that my rear bearings had gone and fortunately 'Gremmin' and his mate Pat came to the rescue with a spare set they had on-hand...great stuff, I was going to be all good to go !! (thanks again guys)

...errrrrr hmmmm ahhhhhh - well maybe not:wtf:

Please note:
When riding if your rear end feels a little loose, perhaps like it's a bit wet or your tyre feels like its lost a bit of pressure...but maybe it feels ok at speed (50mph+)....please STOP and check. ( I didn't)

This is what happens when you continue to ride on collapsed bearings.:lightning

Fortunately the spindle, disk etc are ok - but the Eccentric Hub is well and truly MUNTED !!:cry::cry::cry:

Looks like the Brute is going to be off the road for a little while.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmmm ....Magnesium...2010....both nice options, but not an investment to make on my older model :)

I think 'not' riding the bike when the bloody bearings have gone is a much more sensible approach ....

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Thanks for posting the link up BadBoy.

The upgraded RearHub is the one that's actually fitted on the new 1090/990 Brutales.

This is a complete KIT that will enable you to adapt the new generation RearHub on the "old" Brutes or F4s. Definitely worth replacing your existing hub or keeping on in stock just in case. I got 2 Brutes and i'm definitely keeping on in my garage just in case...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hi there team,
Firstly I would like to state that 'theKnurl' is an absolute bloody champion bloke and indeed a zen master of information! - He definitely rocks ! :yo:

Well I originally thought that my rear bearings had gone and fortunately 'Gremmin' and his mate Pat came to the rescue with a spare set they had on-hand...great stuff, I was going to be all good to go !! (thanks again guys)

...errrrrr hmmmm ahhhhhh - well maybe not:wtf:

Please note:
When riding if your rear end feels a little loose, perhaps like it's a bit wet or your tyre feels like its lost a bit of pressure...but maybe it feels ok at speed (50mph+)....please STOP and check. ( I didn't)

This is what happens when you continue to ride on collapsed bearings.:lightning

Fortunately the spindle, disk etc are ok - but the Eccentric Hub is well and truly MUNTED !!:cry::cry::cry:

Looks like the Brute is going to be off the road for a little while.
Oh BUM! ...ask Pat about this, as this is the same thing that happened to his lovely F4 SR... $$

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks for posting the link up BadBoy.

The upgraded RearHub is the one that's actually fitted on the new 1090/990 Brutales.

This is a complete KIT that will enable you to adapt the new generation RearHub on the "old" Brutes or F4s. Definitely worth replacing your existing hub or keeping on in stock just in case. I got 2 Brutes and i'm definitely keeping on in my garage just in case...
Hey Khamron, How many kilometers before replacing this new hub? Or is it everlasting:naughty:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rear Hub

So my Brutale 750 S has demolished the hub too, for the second time. This time I decided to do the job myself rather than paying my local dealer over 1K to do it. In both cases the original cause was poor workmanship by dealers but in truth I could of prevented it with a bit more attention to detail before riding! I have ordered the upgraded hub from Vesuvio and its currently somewhere between Brussels and my gaff. My damage is similar to the first posted but my local dealer Red Dog has some far far worse examples, I'll try to get a pic, some where most of the hub unit is melted and welded to the spindle! I wonder just how the guy managed to ride it! On the subject of cost, the upgraded unit from Vesuvio cost me 500 inc carriage, Red Dog quoted me 637 +VAT and did not confirm if that was standard or upgraded hub so getting the upgrade is a no-brainer, I hope to get the parts today or tomorrow work overnight and join the anti bike tax protest planned to block the M25 Sat! What's the chances? Knowing my luck I'll get the bike back together just as we get our last sunny day of the summer!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
that is impressive

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Hey Khamron, How many kilometers before replacing this new hub? Or is it everlasting:naughty:
i'm not a certified MV mechanic but the new rearhub was designed to avoid the 30,000Kms limit :stickpoke It's been re-inforced and re-designed so i guess it's up to the level of a Gixxar, Kawa or Yamaha rearhub now.
My understanding is that the new rearhub now has 2 needle-bearings rather than 1. It is thus more robust.

We sold quite a few as a lot of riders now hit the 30K Kms line and start having hub problems...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well i was worried about mine last year , and had a mecaninc open it to lubricate it. He found that one of my bearings was getting bad. He told me that i could drive one season more with it,. THe bike has not reached more then 21000 km. Hoped i could wait for the 30000 km service, but im not sure i have the guts to drive with that in the back of my mind hehe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Belloq, in my experience with MV's, which has been expensive, the minute you do not fix a problem they will dump on you big time. If you can stretch to the hub upgrade my advice would be to do it. Evidently the owner of the trashed hub and spindle in my second post ended up shelling out £1700 because a few other surrounding parts needed replacement too. In all probability, like me, the initial cause was not the owners fault, what I have learned is a very basic and obvious truth that I know I take for granted, before you ride (or drive) you should ensure personally that everything on he vehicle is as it should be, perhaps we are so used to modern day phenomenal reliability that we just get on turn the key and ride away expecting everything to perform, MV's do not come from that stable, like a high strung racehorse or a F1 racing machine they demand focus and commitment beyond the norm, in return one gets a riding experience that is beyond superlatives, in my view. Character defies definition, cannot be measured on a dyno and is sometimes difficult to live with but character is what the MV is about for me and I love it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
JDS. Did your spindle come with the bolts for the the drive pins as I see in your pic? Cos mine didn't and my existing ones have been a bit ground down by the wheel movement, also they are proving tricky to remove even when heated, I may have to drill tem out so replacements would of been a real bonus!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts