MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , I upgrade the new ECU Software for my B3 800 2013, (Service Bulletin 190 SW ECU B3 MY 2013-2014) I could recognize some improvement about the Electronic throttle control and better response to low rpms but I notice that now the motorbike get easy overheating , in fact when I stay in the traffic the water temperature easy get to 7 bars in the dashboard gadget and then I have to switch off the motorbike ;
Before this never happen …. I went to replace the coolant but this doesn’t change so much .
I would like to ask if anyone get a similar experience in past .

Thanks and best regards

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Not normal! Looks like your Cooling FAN does not switch on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not normal! Looks like your Cooling FAN does not switch on.
Dear RCEE, thanks for your feedback ... truly i let the mechanic check out the Cooling Fan and it works normal ... as i said before to update the ECU i could stay in the traffic stop for long time and the water temperature never get more than 5 bars ....

·
Super Moderator
22,298 Posts
Jayjay, did this occur before you replaced your coolant?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Get the shop to run it until it overheats. The fan may function correctly for diagnostics, but maybe the update, or the tech doing it, negated the fan activation point. Maybe ask for a reflash or for them to examine the settings (if possible). If it's a repeatable problem, it should be easy to demonstrate at the shop. Too many techs these days can't solve an issue if the ECU doesn't point at it.

·
Super Moderator
22,298 Posts
^^^Ain't that the truth!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jayjay, did this occur before you replaced your coolant?
Dear Silentservice703,
yes it did also before to replace the new coolant ;
as i said this trouble appear after upgrade the new ECU Software , yesterday i test the motorbike in the traffic and the water temperature get to 5 mark bars , luckily did not get over it .

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Did you confirmed that the fan is running by yourself ?

There is a easy test, drive the motorcycle for 10 min, then park it and leave it running IDLE. Look if you can see the fanblade start running somewhere at bar5, it should definitely run before hitting bar 6

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you confirmed that the fan is running by yourself ?

There is a easy test, drive the motorcycle for 10 min, then park it and leave it running IDLE. Look if you can see the fanblade start running somewhere at bar5, it should definitely run before hitting bar 6
Dear RCEE ,
yes i follow your suggestion and i can confirm the fan is running ... maybe has not enough power to run well as before ...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Does the temparature goes down on the gauge when the fan runs?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Faulty radiator cap, common fault.

·
Super Moderator
22,298 Posts
That is very possible, Jimbo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
560 Posts
Have you physically checked the amount of coolant in the radiator recently? I had the same issue some time ago and, coupled with changing the radiator cap, I noticed that my radiator was quite low on coolant despite the overflow tank showing normal levels. Filled it back up, changed the cap, and all was well. Is worth noting that my bike would run at 5 bars with the fan on all the time in traffic. I was informed that was not an issue. But, anything above 5 bars was reason for concern.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I upgrade the new ECU Software for my B3 800 2013, (Service Bulletin 190 SW ECU B3 MY 2013-2014) I could recognize some improvement about the Electronic throttle control and better response to low rpms but I notice that now the motorbike get easy overheating
Ok, my conclusion would be something gone wrong with the new software upgrade, assuming nothing else is done on your bike. It looks like the temparatures on your bike are ok, but somehow the readout changed after the new firmware. Also note that some of the VIN's are excluded for that specific bulletin:

B3 800 MY 2013-2014 until VIN … V007793 included
(excluded the VIN from V007251 up to V007255 because pre series MY 2015)
Check if your VIN isn't in that range.

Background: The newer B3's have a different instrument cluster, and may have a different readout for the temparature. Maybe the shop has flashed a too new upgrade into your bike. Will be hard to figure this out, you will need to research the exact firmware version they have flashed into your bike and compare it to the one in the service bulletin. Impossible to find out without the diagnostic tool. Visit your dealer and ask them to readout the firmware version, Thats a 5 min job, make a photo with your cellphone and post it here.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, my conclusion would be something gone wrong with the new software upgrade, assuming nothing else is done on your bike. It looks like the temparatures on your bike are ok, but somehow the readout changed after the new firmware. Also note that some of the VIN's are excluded for that specific bulletin:

Check if your VIN isn't in that range.

Background: The newer B3's have a different instrument cluster, and may have a different readout for the temparature. Maybe the shop has flashed a too new upgrade into your bike. Will be hard to figure this out, you will need to research the exact firmware version they have flashed into your bike and compare it to the one in the service bulletin. Impossible to find out without the diagnostic tool. Visit your dealer and ask them to readout the firmware version, Thats a 5 min job, make a photo with your cellphone and post it here.
Dear RCEE,
i wish you Happy New Year !!!
sorry for my late response ; following your message i could check out my VIN and it is "V002880" so it is included in the Service Bulletin 190 SW ECU B3 MY 2013-2014 , to confirm that my dealer install that upgrade i will let you know (the shop is so far from my house than i am finding out the time to go there) ... anyway 2 days ago i went around with motorbike and the temperature reach 7 Mark Bar again in the traffic ,i should switch off the moto to avoid something dangerous ;
at the weekend i will go to check out again the radiator and everything related to it , after to upgrade the ECU to my B3 800 i remember i replaced a new battery Toplite TTZ10S but i don't believe it could be one of the reason.

However i will keep you updated at the weekend if i can work out this issue .

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you physically checked the amount of coolant in the radiator recently? I had the same issue some time ago and, coupled with changing the radiator cap, I noticed that my radiator was quite low on coolant despite the overflow tank showing normal levels. Filled it back up, changed the cap, and all was well. Is worth noting that my bike would run at 5 bars with the fan on all the time in traffic. I was informed that was not an issue. But, anything above 5 bars was reason for concern.
Dear Neeal12,

Wish you HAppy New Year !!!

Well , the first step was to replace a new coolant but i could not work out it ....as i said before at the weekend i will go to a mechanic to re check everything and i will advise also to check out the radiator cap , hoping to work out this issue ....i will keep you updated.

Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
hey, if you didn't fix this yet I would start with the thermostat and cap, If your coolant isn't cycling the fan on or off won't make a difference. Also inspect your hoses incase they are collapsed and check the smell of your exhaust to make sure your not burning coolant. From my automotive past if a car was over heating and the fan switches on and off, check oil level and coolant then look for why coolant is not circulating. Radiators can also clog, you can check by taking the hoses off and pour water in it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

I just had my 2015 Brutale 800RR 24k service done and am experiencing a similar scenario.

The bike now seems to operate at 4 bars. When it reaches 5 bars the fan kicks in. This used to drop the temp. back to 4 bars but now it stop it from going over 5 bars.

This isn't how it worked before. When moving it used to run between 3 and 4 bars and only reached 5 bars on the hottest of days when standing still.

Not sure what could be causing it. I'll ask what coolant and oil the service centre used and if they flashed the ECU too.

Cheers,
Witek.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts