MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this obviously isnt a specific b3/dragster topic but there isnt a general 3 cylinder section so move if needed.

So the RR models are supposed to come with 2.0 everything including EAS which, if you noticed some of the MV press releases, includes quick downshifts. Now the question becomes, since this appears to be just a software change, will it trickle down to the regular 3 cylinder guys as well. I know for one that it would be nuts to have auto down as well. Thoughts?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Even if its just a sw update with no different electronics, I doubt the factory would allow dealers to put them on regular B3 bikes. Market diversification reasons to justify higher price on newer models. I would be very surprised if they did allow, and I would do it immediately. :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
You could download the instructions from a RR model implement it on the normal B3 software en upload it. It's just a matter of time before someone does. The only questions is, is it just software or is there some hardware at play here.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I'm sure it's far more complicated than just installing the software and fitting a new quickshifter. I expect MV would rather you just bought an RR ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
so as far as i know the qs connector of the bike got 3 pins... the qs itself only has 2 pins wich means we got 1 wire spare... now do the math ;-)

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm sure it's far more complicated than just installing the software and fitting a new quickshifter. I expect MV would rather you just bought an RR ;)
For someone that's not familiar with programming it is. It's even hard to grasp your mind. Although i'm currently a administrative software developer i have a background in realtime and embedded systems. So i can see some potential here.

If you want a blipper you don't actually need a QS at all. Think about this simple instruction.

1. Keep track of the current gear.
2. Driver pulls in clutch.
3. Driver selects new gear.
4. Instruct throttle to move to position x related to gear.
5. Driver releases clutch.

The most difficult part is to keep track of what the driver is doing. You don't want a bike that's dragging your ass behind it. :jsm: :)

I have seen software that helps you getting these instructions on the ECU's ROM. I'm just not going to try, don't want to wreck my ECU by doing something stupid. :loser:

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
since this appears to be just a software change, will it trickle down to the regular 3 cylinder guys as well.
Say's you ? How do you figure this one out?

You could download the instructions from a RR model implement it on the normal B3 software en upload it. It's just a matter of time before someone does. The only questions is, is it just software or is there some hardware at play here.
You'll be in far a surprise me thinks. You do realise the B3 and B3 RR have different motors amongst other things. The software will have to be specific to the motor.

For someone that's not familiar with programming it is. It's even hard to grasp your mind. Although i'm currently a administrative software developer i have a background in realtime and embedded systems. So i can see some potential here.

If you want a blipper you don't actually need a QS at all. Think about this simple instruction.

1. Keep track of the current gear.
2. Driver pulls in clutch.
3. Driver selects new gear.
4. Instruct throttle to move to position x related to gear.
5. Driver releases clutch.

The most difficult part is to keep track of what the driver is doing. You don't want a bike that's dragging your ass behind it. :jsm: :)

I have seen software that helps you getting these instructions on the ECU's ROM. I'm just not going to try, don't want to wreck my ECU by doing something stupid. :loser:

You're nor far off the mark.
Auto blipping on downshift has been around in some Superbikes and Supersport race teams for years. Some used a clutch switch, some combined a clutch switch with a two way sensing quick shift module, other use a clutch switch, combined with a internal gear sensing switch.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've asked this question to the Dutch importer, will let you know if I have the answer !!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
1. I recalled reading that it was an auto blip downshift and MV already offers a software only solution to that problem. Auto blipping is something that can easily be done with a software change and has been seen on manual cars for quite a few years. When they switched to the 370z from the 350z they offered it with auto blip downshifts. Yes, a clutchless solution would involve a mechanical and software change. Its a motorcycle that hasn't come out yet, I wanted to generate conversation as to the probablility that, assuming it was an auto blip and a software change, it would be offered as an accessory to the existing 3 bikes.

2. My "obsession" is a cool feature that I haven't seen on a motorcycle before. Since it's coming out on a motorcycle of the same family that I ride I wondered if there would be a way for me to purchase it to add to my motorcycle. My addition of the race ecu to the other post was in response to a comment inquiring as to the possibility of going up and down. I found a product that satisfied that need and shared it. Obviously I was ignorant to assume that a product for sale would do what it advertised.

3. I am and was perfectly capable of checking whether or not my bike was capable of charging the battery. Once I got the battery checked and subsequently recharged I monitored both the battery and the charging system to make sure it held steady and charged the battery. The bike was, and still is, charging the battery. The battery hasn't dropped any voltage since it was recharged. Obviously it hasn't been very long so I am continuing to monitor it. I still Dont know what the initial battery failure was. The bike is going in to the dealer whenever I find a way to get myself back to where I live and it will get a more thorough investigation. My dislike towards the idea of just replacing a battery was due to the fact that it could be something other than the battery. Batteries aren't the most expensive item but changing 2 of them for no reason is throwing money into the toilet.

Now feel free to cut down any and everything I've said here. I'm on a forum to learn information that I dont already know and to have conversations about something that we all have a passion for. If I'm wrong about something the world isn't going to end if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am curious about how the fueling is with the MVICS 2.0 system? I am seriously considering trading my Aprilia Tuono Factory for the B3 RR but my only reservation is the poor fueling that EVERY review mentions. To my knowledge the only other MV that has the 2.0 system is the Turismo Veloce 800 and the F3, but I can't find any good reviews that mention the fueling.

Also does the 2.0 system incorporate worthwhile TC improvements over the standard B3?

Anything else I should be aware of before going for it?

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I am curious about how the fueling is with the MVICS 2.0 system? I am seriously considering trading my Aprilia Tuono Factory for the B3 RR but my only reservation is the poor fueling that EVERY review mentions. To my knowledge the only other MV that has the 2.0 system is the Turismo Veloce 800 and the F3, but I can't find any good reviews that mention the fueling.

Also does the 2.0 system incorporate worthwhile TC improvements over the standard B3?

Anything else I should be aware of before going for it?

Cheers!
Maybe stop reading reviews and listen to the guys who ride their B3's quite happily here on the forum, or even better, go ride one yourself.:)
And then you can read about how throttle body sinc work sort this "problem" for most guys. Try the Maintenance section. http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129

PS. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
32 Posts
should be possible by changing the QS sensor. I imagine the one we have now is a "pull" sensor on the shift rod. The downshift would require the opposite "push" sensor. I would imagine the new sensor on the shift rod is both "push" and "pull" triggered so that the ecu can cut the ignition temporarily during the shift for upshifts and blip the throttle for downshifts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Speculation not fact:

I wonder if, only for a clutch in blip, you could use the gear position sensor along with the clutch sensor. If the clutch is pulled in and the computer senses a gear drop then it could adjust the rpm according to current rpm and speed. Obviously given the reliability of some peoples gear indicators I dont know how reliable that would be.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I received an e-mail from the Dutch importer last week.
Until further notice updating to EAS 2.0 will not be possible.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I wouldn't be happy auto downshifting without a slipper clutch. Even with auto blip you could still seriously load the gearbox.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I wouldn't be happy auto downshifting without a slipper clutch. Even with auto blip you could still seriously load the gearbox.
The gearbox wouldn't know the difference, but you arse on the ground might :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts