MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had a major problem with my 2006 Brutale 910R:

Rode her home - everything seemed fine - Then:

Keyed her off and as I'm walking away I notice the integrated rear blinkers/brake lights are lighting up, on and off, like its fucking xmas.
The front blinkers then decide to join the party turning on and off at longer intervals.

Walk back over and hear the fan coming on and off randomly.

All while the bike is off and the key's in my pocket.

Take the Pilli seat off and the connectors/wiring to the rear lights are red hot - almost melting the plastic.

Anyone have any suggestions???
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,072 Posts
Pull the fuses ?

Sorry mate, I would have said SPU, but with all the wiring so hot I would look for a short somewhere near the indicator wiring.
But if the fan came on too I might say look at the SPU.
I am sure the other Brutie guys will follow shortly.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,474 Posts
I'd start looking for a major ground (earth) in the wiring harness. Carl (I think) had a great picture on here somewhere of some wiring loom damage due to rubbing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,955 Posts
I've just had a major problem with my 2006 Brutale 910R:

Rode her home - everything seemed fine - Then:

Keyed her off and as I'm walking away I notice the integrated rear blinkers/brake lights are lighting up, on and off, like its fucking xmas.
The front blinkers then decide to join the party turning on and off at longer intervals.

Walk back over and hear the fan coming on and off randomly.

All while the bike is off and the key's in my pocket.

Take the Pilli seat off and the connectors/wiring to the rear lights are red hot - almost melting the plastic.

Anyone have any suggestions???

Disconnect the battery and have a nice cold beer...

Then have a look for the short..

lucky thing you spotted that.

joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im having a very strong Bourbon right now thanx Joe.
Mainly 'cause I fear silentservice703 could be right -
Although I'm praying that Donsy first guess is!

The thing is when I discovered the flashing lights, I had just rode her home from a major service.
I had the mechanic look at one of the break lights that had been flickering a little previously.
They did and said it was just the LED.

The wiring under the pilli, although neat and heat wrapped, is all pretty bunched up.
So again Donsy lets hope it is option A. I can't afford to be paying for hours of investigative work
to be done on the loom trying to find the problem.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
20,056 Posts
SPU.....notorious. Full of relays that control all the things you have staying on. Corrected in later 2007 models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,695 Posts
You should hope Chuck is right and Donsy's wrong. The SPU is a lot more expensive than the wire harness.

Luckily for you I have an SPU from your year and model bike and a wire harness if you need it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,955 Posts
I've just had a major problem with my 2006 Brutale 910R:

Rode her home - everything seemed fine - Then:

Keyed her off and as I'm walking away I notice the integrated rear blinkers/brake lights are lighting up, on and off, like its fucking xmas.
The front blinkers then decide to join the party turning on and off at longer intervals.

Walk back over and hear the fan coming on and off randomly.

All while the bike is off and the key's in my pocket.

Take the Pilli seat off and the connectors/wiring to the rear lights are red hot - almost melting the plastic.

Anyone have any suggestions???

I'm gonna rack my brain cell and think about this a bit.

Logically , If it's occurring with ignition off then there could be a leak to earth from the +ve cable down to starter motor solenoid. I'd look there first. Not saying its definitely that but I believe you have power going through the frame the wrong way..

After that the next place I'd look is the ignition switch and associated wiring for a short to earth.

Question..Is the SPU energised only with the ignition switch in the on position ?

I know on the F4 the +ve cable passes ferkin close to the frame..

Check for a direct short by disconnecting battery and putting an Ohmmeter across the cable terminals ie not across the battery ). If you get a figure close to zero Ohmms you have a direct short.

joe
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,474 Posts
Another point to ponder would be the current draw of the SPU. Does it draw enough current, even when fully engaged in "thinking", to heat up connectors or wires to the point of melting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,955 Posts
Another point to ponder would be the current draw of the SPU. Does it draw enough current, even when fully engaged in "thinking", to heat up connectors or wires to the point of melting?

I do recall a Blonde female melting after being engaged in "thinking" for a little longer than stated in the manual ; ) :thewife:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,474 Posts
:laughing::laughing::hitit::laughing::laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,499 Posts
I'm gonna rack my brain cell and think about this a bit.

Logically , If it's occurring with ignition off then there could be a leak to earth from the +ve cable down to starter motor solenoid. I'd look there first. Not saying its definitely that but I believe you have power going through the frame the wrong way..

After that the next place I'd look is the ignition switch and associated wiring for a short to earth.

Question..Is the SPU energised only with the ignition switch in the on position ?

I know on the F4 the +ve cable passes ferkin close to the frame..

Check for a direct short by disconnecting battery and putting an Ohmmeter across the cable terminals ie not across the battery ). If you get a figure close to zero Ohmms you have a direct short.

joe

When mine went bad the front blinkers would stay on, and the fuel pump would keep priming even after the bike was off and the key removed.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
20,056 Posts
Hmmm...I overlooked the hot (temperature) wires.....that can't be the SPU, but for enough current to heat up wires you would think a fuse would blow. Of course, dirty or loose wire connectors will get very hot (resistance + current = heat).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,699 Posts
big nig
had you just washed your bike with a jet wash or riden it in very heavy rain
i have a 2006 s 910 the reason i ask is a few yrs back i took mine down to a jet wash place did the deed and rode off all was good ....Untill 4 hrs later pulled up switched off walked away then noticed lights onand the dash was alight and i could turn the starter over but the bike would not start.....Discon battery harnes was red hot got it taken home ........me being a sparky could not find a fault with it took it to my bike shop /auto elecy
.........we took tank off seat off headlamp lens off ..............this is the technical bit sprayed the fuk out of it with CRC WD 40 and elect contact cleaner never done it again and i still jet wash it and ride in the rain ................................hope yours is as easy as mine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts
Seems to me the SPU is always energized, with the key in the on and off position.
This can be easily checked with a valtage meter (think I will check when I’m at home, just curious..)
It’s the SPU who “decides” to give power to certain parts of the bike, for example the starter after the key is in on position.
(but correct me if I’m wrong)

I would suggest you disconnect every connector you can find on the bike. Check it for corrosion and spray them with connection fluid. Make sure you have no hidden cable faillure. Can be rubbing under the tank and damage the isolation.

I’m afraid , asesq’z me said, it’s te SPU...
But in that case I can’t explain the wiring geting hot :banghead:

Let us know the answer mate !

Cheers,
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,474 Posts
Hmmm...I overlooked the hot (temperature) wires.....that can't be the SPU, but for enough current to heat up wires you would think a fuse would blow. Of course, dirty or loose wire connectors will get very hot (resistance (R) + current (I) = heat(P)).

Ed, I know you know this: I x I x R = P
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
20,056 Posts
Keepin it simple Chuck....
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top