MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dr. Greg Spalding made a fair comment about the need to wear earplugs. I shall paraphrase his statement--something like if you don't wear them now, you may miss out on hearing the grandkids whisper "thanks for the password to your mvagusta.net forum, grandpa...I was hoping for a ti mid-pipe this xmas but the password is just the best...you're the best grandpa!" ;-)

Ok, let's build a case for earplugs. I don't wear them, but I'm willing to hear out the discussion. Anyone care to chime in?

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
dearpixel said:
Dr. Greg Spalding made a fair comment about the need to wear earplugs. I shall paraphrase his statement--something like if you don't wear them now, you may miss out on hearing the grandkids whisper "thanks for the password to your mvagusta.net forum, grandpa...I was hoping for a ti mid-pipe this xmas but the password is just the best...you're the best grandpa!" ;-)

Ok, let's build a case for earplugs. I don't wear them, but I'm willing to hear out the discussion. Anyone care to chime in?

i always wear something. sometimes plugs (especially highway), sometimes (well, most of the time now) ear buds for headphones for music.

Sadly, they don't even sell them at motorcycle shops here. They tell you to get them at a drugstore. I got a stash from my UK stint still. These yellow ones from Oxford I think. They are quite good.

My ears feel funny after a stint NOT wearing them. Even with headphones...they don't block out as much noise as the proper earplugs at all. I'm no doctor, but that funny feeling and excessive wind noise can't be good.....

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
OK, I din't wear earplugs for the first few years of riding and first couple of years of racing. I now have partial hearing loss in my left ear which will only get worse. I'm thirty five years old :(

I always wear earplugs now to protect what I have left and because it cuts down on the annoying wind noise and other background. It helps me concentrate on other things going on and makes an overall safer riding experience IMHO. I've never had any problems hearing emergency vehicles or other traffic around me and I dont find them distracting. I wear disposable foam plugs that work out fine and they are cheap.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
I wear hearing protections when ever there is a possibility for hearing damage, on the bike, on the shooting range, even using power tools in enclosed areas... hearing is too important for me, I am a professional classical musician.

I don't know about others, but even if I wasn't using my hearing to earn my living, I still would like to be able to hear clearly for as long as I can...

BTW, my orchestra supply free foam ear plugs for us to use, and if you come to see us in concert, you will notice people who sits close to the brass, wood winds and percussions wear plugs to protect their hearing.

I am curious, what are the reasons that some riders don't wear them?

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
from my experience of using all types of hearing protections, including many different types of ear plugs, this is the most effective kind, IMHO...

http://www.tecfen.com/medical/OtoFac/putty.html

they are great because you can form them to your ears and they stick to your outter ears well, just like putty, they worked even better than my specially custom made rubber plugs for shooting because they seal better, especially when it gets sweat.

just be sure to replace them often, ideally before they start to grow hair. :jsm:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I use them (when I remember) for long distances rides like Phoenix to LA. For shorter distances, like a 10 minute freeway jaunt, I'd rather have the ability to hear tire noise when a car is in my blind spot.

Also, another alternative is getting a helmet with smoother lines and reduce wind noise.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I wear plugs not b/c of the loudness of the bike but the wind. If you don't lose things like earplugs get some custom made ones. I had mine done at the Long Beach bike show. Another benefit is that you will be less fatigued and enable better concetwation :moped:

·
Registered
161 Posts
i wear them when i remember but having been at rock gigs for the last 30 years :yo: means that the damage has already been done.... i said THE DAMAGE HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Dearpixel,
I started wearing earplugs shortly after I got back into motorcycling in 2000. I noticed after trips of an hour or more w/o them that my ears would be ringing loudly from the wind noise. I was diagnosed with tinnitus (hearing damage) back in the early 90's when I saw a doctor about constant ringing in my ears. The ringing subsided after a couple of months, but now it's back. I'm 56 now, and I wear earplugs all the time when riding, and even with them in I still think the wind noise is too loud. I have difficulty hearing conversations if there's a lot of background noise, and I often find myself asking people to repeat themselves. If you're not wearing earplugs when you ride, you can bet your bottom dollar you'll have permanent, irreversible hearing loss in a few years.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
dearpixel said:

i'm glad you started this thread....
Mervyn, i like you.... A LOT
and i want you to be able to hear many many years from now...

i'm quite serious about this

read this:

http://www.ridemyown.com/articles/safety/earplugs.shtml

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
409 Posts
a friend of mine had a cast of his ear made an had professional ear plugs with speakers put in them that singers use on stage . 200 bucks . whats the legality to this though . i dont think u can operate a motor vehicle on the road with obstrucked hearing . ????

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
I wear them, all the time, everytime. I ride alot, and the windnoise is what will damage your hearing. I prefer the soft foam squishy type, although I have tried many different types, including the customs. The soft foam ones are dirt cheap, totally comfortable, don't block the sounds you need to hear, and I don't care when I lose them, which I always do.

Get something now, whatever works for you.

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Thanks Greg, That was very informative. As a stone mason I can`t stress how easy it is to lose your hearing over a perod of time even with protection.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I wear foamies as well.....2 reasons...

1. less fatigue

2. You go Faster in the twisties.....why, you ask? When making a turn there are several things you use to evaluate how fast you can take it....tightness, surface, speed, etc etc (all related to what you SEE) ..... the sound of the engine exhaust can vary depending on gear, high rpms subconciously give you the perception of increased speed, when in fact you are going slower than you think....its just one less thing your mind has to evaluate to make the turn.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
twoeleven said:
I wear them, all the time, everytime. I ride alot, and the windnoise is what will damage your hearing. I prefer the soft foam squishy type, although I have tried many different types, including the customs. The soft foam ones are dirt cheap, totally comfortable, don't block the sounds you need to hear, and I don't care when I lose them, which I always do.

Get something now, whatever works for you.

Griff
twoeleven
i also use the soft foam ones
have tried them all

i buy these from my dealer
200 pair boxes...
they usually sell them for 69 cents/pair
i pay about 22 cents.....
the cheapest "INSURANCE" for your HEARING FUTURE

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
cdamb said:
Thanks Greg, That was very informative. As a stone mason I can`t stress how easy it is to lose your hearing over a perod of time even with protection.
i'm happy that we are talking about this....
there is more to "protecting" yourself while riding than the quality of your jacket....

happy that stone masons have discovered this very important issue as well....
and hope that there will be SOME way that you can preserve your hearing.... even after practicing your profession for many years

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
OK - you've won me over. Since I'm already quite deaf in one ear (I have been all my life) I just ordered a trial pack of SilentEar plugs from the Earplug Superstore that are supposedly 'ideal' for motorbikes and can be washed etc.

SO IF YOU NOTICE ME SHOUTING IN THE MESSAGES FROM NOW ON IT'S JUST BECAUSE I'VE LEFT THEM IN AFTER A RIDE! :)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts