MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think someone at MV Agusta is Dyslexic.
I needed to replace my tires, there is a guy not to far from me who does it in his basement, and he does a great job. You have to take the wheels off the bike and bring him the tires and wheels and he does the work.

I took off the rear tire of my TVL and when he was removing the old tire he pointed out to me the " rotation arrow" on the tire and the wheel were pointed in opposite directions. ??? I was puzzled but there it was. I bought the bike used however I do know the tires were mounted by a MV Dealer. I also put over 7K miles on them and didn't notice anything unusual.
He proceeded to mount the tire with both rotations arrows going in the same direction. I needed a torque wrench that went up to 240 NM which came in today so today after work I put the tire on.
So now my TVL and Street Triple are parked side by side with the same Michelin Road 5 tires on them............. the treads are going in opposite directions. ???
So I looked it all over and indeed the guy mounted the tire with both arrows going in the same direction, the problem is the stamped rotation arrow on the wheel is wrong. WTF :surprise:
How does that happen? Is it just my wheel or are there a whole lot of incorrectly stamped wheels rolling around out there?
Some one either at MV is dyslexic or the quality control system is a joke.
Now I have to go an use up another weekend and get the tire remounted, since it was not his fault I will have to pay him again. He is a nice guy and most likely will let me slide, but he certainly doesn't have too.
Has anyone else noticed this on there rear wheel?

·
Super Moderator
21,458 Posts
Rob, that rotation arrow stamped into the wheel is the arrow for the direction of the tightening torque on the reverse threaded wheel nut.

One has to be smarter than the equipment being operated.

Have a look at that rotation arrow versus how the wheel rolls when in the bike being pushed forward.

·
Super Moderator
21,458 Posts
You should also see the tightening torque spec embossed there.

FWIW, when I mount tires, I look at the wheel and envision the rotation using the valve stem as a reference point. Valve stems should point out the right hand side of the bike so there is easy access when on the side stand.

With a single sided swing arm wheel...there should no confusion, or excuse.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the layers of paint make reading the torque setting imposible. It is also in a bad location to indicate the wheel nut, and in the perfect location for the tire rotation. You would think they would stamp the wheel nut direction on the wheel nut and the wheel rotation direction on the wheel.........

I guess I stand corrected but I'm protesting the logic. There is a similar thing with the way the headlight adjustment screw is labeled.......... I don't know, maybe I just don't think Italian... good food but crazy engineering. (IMO)

·
Administrator
18,859 Posts
Been that way since the very first "new" MV......

·
Super Moderator
21,458 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Now ADHD

The location on my wheel is the outer edge
Notice the rotation arrow on the tire means you're mainly riding reverse?

Ah sorry ... yes...

Went to visit our friendly tire guy.

He was toiling on his machine to remove a worn tire.
The work phone chirped few bars of the "New World Symphony"
reggae remix for elevator muzzak.

After the call, back to work.

Freeing the old tire.

Phone chirped again more problems with some remote customer.

Back to work we go.

Plop plopping the tire back on the rim.
As a joke I interrupted

-"You sure you have the arrow pointing as it should?"

Over the ear splitting racket of the archaic asthmatic air compressor.
-"Check ... Yep"

Full pressure.
Big plop makes the tire again, sitting on the rim.

Back to the honking phone.

We got to the newly mounted tire to adjust the prescripted PSI.

Looking at the thread,
he had replaced the worn tire with the worn tire itself.

The brand new tire still waited on the floor.

And the phone rang ...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The confusion started as a result of me bringing just the wheel and tire to a guy who mounted the tire for me, he never saw the bike. He looked and saw the arrow on the wheel and matched the tire to it.
I find the location of the arrow on the wheel to be poorly located if it is meant to be referring to the wheel nut. It would be better to mark the wheel nut and not put anything on the wheel itself (IMO).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts