MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a 1000r for Christmas, the bike came with dunlop tires,(GP Racer M) i was expecting pirelli tires but got dunlops. Are theses tires any good as far as grip and wear. Do you how much these are new. I've always ran bridgestone on my ducati and love them.

·
Registered
762 Posts
What a nice christmas present! I don't know much about the Dunlops, sorry can't help, but congrats and wish you 1 million happy miles.

Edit** I just saw your other message... you mention you got the bike brand new. I have always thought the 1000R comes with Pirelli Dragon SuperCorsa as stock... I wonder why is there Dunlop on it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The street tires designed by all of the major tire manufacturers are more than up to the task of all but the most aggressive of street riders. If you want wear, you'll have to switch to touring tires, which would probably still be grippy enough for most riders. The F4 isn't a touring bike, so I'll stick with the sticky stuff.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
My R came with Dunlop racers. Unfortunately the rear suffered a puncture and was soon replaced by a Michelin pilot power.

The front does seem to be wearing very well for a Dunlop. Although the Michelin will be replacing this tyre when its worn.

I've never used Dunlops personally, but a mate of mine use to swear by them.

The fronts scollop out badly and as a result the bike tends to tip quicker into corners, not good when you dont mean to tip in fast.

·
Living the Dream
2,755 Posts
Congrats on the new present!! Good to have another MV in the state of VA! I hope for the rain to stop for you so you can take it out. :f4:

·
Registered
447 Posts
i got my new 2008 F4 R 312 yesterday and it came with

donlop sportmax gp racings - ill let you know how they work
as i get some miles on it
steve

·
Registered
762 Posts
I didn't know that they came with Dunlops too... I learn more about MV everyday... many thanks to the good people of this forum!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I've always been a "Pirelli guy" but i have to say that i really liked the Dunlops (Sportmax GP Racer) that came with my 312. They got to the right temp very fast and had great grip. :smoking:
Too bad they were recalled.
I now have the Qualifier's and althought they're ok, i think the Race's heated up faster.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dunlops

have you seen the thread about racers ? the mvs 312r were recalled by dunlop to be replaced by dunlop qualifiers because of some german complaints, so maybe they should be changed anyway to qualifiers as there not suitable, hope that works.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
my 312 came with the dunlops...after those wore out, I replaced them with power 2cts....the Mich totally transformed the bike to better. I could not feel the dunlops when you began pushing the tires....i am much more comfortable on the mich.

then again, most of it boils down to what you have "confidence" in.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is the recall for all GP racers or just on the 312 they'll replace, can't wait to get some good weather to take the bike out.

It sucks i have a new f4 and all i can do is go in garage set and look and start it up and listen, I'm ready to ride :f4:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what air pressure is everybody running. i ran low 30's on my duc 998, i'd imagine it will probably be about the same on the MV with these dunlop, i'm a aggresive rider no chicken strips on my other bikes. The manual has 33 psi all around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I first saw those Dunlops on my new bike I thought FUKING HELL WHY CANT THEY BE PIRELLIS but then I had a ride around and went hmmmmm......might not be so bad after all...then I done my first 600 Km and thought 'not sure if I want Pirellis next'. They are nice tyres for me, better than Metzeler I do not like them.

·
Super Moderator
21,450 Posts
I think you'll actually prefer them. The new tire is excellent.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts