MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after putting over 7k on my Dunlop Q3s with the 2011 Brutale 1090R, I must say that I am highly impressed with it's tread wear and dry grip. Cold grip and rain, much less so. Anything under 10 degrees C sees the tire being relatively squirrely on the turns, but once warmed up, after some riding, it finds its handling well enough.

Wet manners are less than I had expected. Some of the advertising for these tires promoted them as being being better in the wet than the previous versions, but I still found myself spinning up the rear and fishing when throttling on for a pass or in a turn.

I'm an all weather rider with the Brute and I go pretty deep into the cold, but I'm not feeling as sure about it with the Q3s as I did with my original Sportmax tires, which these are supposed to surpass in all aspects.

In the end, I'd be inclined to get another set Q3s, they are excellent fair weather tires, great stability in the turns and transitions and have decent tread wear (this is based on not having the "burden" of regular +25C days). I find the wet weather spinning under throttle, even with TC on (2), entertaining and am sure it makes me look like a complete ass when passing someone and fishtailing the rear (less so than catwalking I suppose).

Maybe in a warmer climate, the wet handling manners are better, but in a climate where the rain is cool and the tire can barely heat up, they're a bit of a liability, though at least the front stays planted.

I'm interested hearing feedback from other Q3 users and their personal opinions on the tire and how they compliment/contradict my own :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
After begrudgingly switching over from Q2s, I'm on my 7th set of Q3's - and love them. I agree with you about the tread wear and dry grip, plus, I'm impressed with the ease and quickness of their turn-in. That said, I ride in a fairly warm weather climate and haven't used them much at cooler temps, so YMMV.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just purchased a set of Q3's I have never used them yet but i bought them strictly for grip on a dry surface I don't mess with wet weather myself I was using battleax s20's and they were really sticky I'm hoping the Dunlops are the same or hopefully better

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I just mounted a set of Q3's and when warmed up I was very impress with the side / edge grip. the Q3s are as good as the Racetec when tipped over. Hopefully the centre will not wear out as quickly as the Racetec K2.

I had to increase the rear height slightly as the Q3 front tyre were more triangular that the Racetec.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts