MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So my 2012 F3 675 is going to be 8 years old in June next year and I have started considering a replacement.

Up until now I haven't had any issues and I have kept up with all the technological updates so my bike although from 2012 is relatively up to spec through my annual upgrades (Updated throttle grip, Slipper clutch, Brembo Monoblocs, Blipper etc).

I really lusted for a Ducati V4, but decided against it due to the cost and the limited places where I could really enjoy such a bike (without getting myself killed) as I use my bikes for both track days and weekend road fun (never commute). Now the Ducati V2 has really got me thinking as the HP is not too much for everyday riding and the looks are exactly what I am after.

One thing I really like is that the Superquadro 955cc engine has been relatively bullet proof compared to our 3-cylinder engines. I considered the Aprilia RS660, but that is perhaps going backwards. I considered the F3 800, but it is too similar to my current bike and MV have totally neglected the platform where I'm not at all interested.

What is your thoughts on the Ducati V2 (also if you have personal experience on the Ducati 959 as the base is the same as the V2)

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/reviews/ducati-panigale-v2-ride-review/

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I think the F3 reliability is much better than what we expect it to be.
My geuss is that its rider related, and not so much material related. Just my 0.02.

As for keeping the F3 or getting a new bike.. Flip a coin and when its mid-air the first bike you think off is the one you should get ;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Barring the ugly new bodywork, i think this would be a great do it all bike like you are interested in..
Has all the goodies one would EXPECT, unlike the MV F3 platform and it's outdated everything... SHAME ON YOU MV!!!

if you want a even better do it all bike, and something more exclusive go get the 765LE Daytona... ;)

·
Registered
703 Posts
In my opinion it must be a nice bike but I would get a V4 in a heartbeat if a good deal appears to you :wink2:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Perso, I think it looks so hot. Way prettier than the 899/ 959 design. The reviews I watched/ read seem to check all the right boxes (esp with the expectation that a S version will be out with Ohlins etc.). Ducati, ffs, make it in yellow....

·
Registered
219 Posts
I own (and have done since 2013) Ducati Diavel.
I treat it with the utmost respect.
The first coupla times I gave it the bollocks...it nearly scared me...
It has been very reliable with no mechanical probs for over 36000kms now.

I really like those new Duc 959 but they are probably no more practical ergonomically than my F4 so I guess they stay in my dreams.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I haven't tried the V2 yet. But I still have a 959(full Akrapovic+race map).

The good things.

Pretty little thing, engine has character and enjoyable feeling. It is also reliable.

The bad ones.
The engine+chassis+suspension+ergonomics! My main problem is the way it delivers power. As a rider I like to carry a lot of speed inside the corners, tracks and streets. I can perfectly ride stop/dive deep and go but I don't find it as enjoyable. And since you will be riding the bike on the streets also, I don't think there is anything more enjoyable than to open the throttle inside the turn and feel/play with the forces.
Pushing on entry speed on the streets (in order to somewhat enjoy the 959) is one of the silliest/risky things to do.
About the power delivery, once you think about opening the throttle inside the turn the bike wants to stand up. Doesn't want to turn....keep the line. Don't get me wrong I can battle with her and she is kind of an interesting bitch sometimes, the question is do you want to? Especially if she will be your only sports bike?

Yes, the joke of a suspension it comes standard with is also to blame and probably the inadequate chassis. But I think it is mainly the character of the engine. By the way if you get the new V2 and it comes with the same grade back spring, get it out immediately and make a pogo stick. For a 3 years old......
I spoke with several owners on the tracks, 2 of them world class riders to give you some context and they all agree about it(engine). It is not a particularly enjoyable bike. There are far more entertaining options out there, especially for the street.

I know they changed the swingarm (single-sided) in the new V2 and maybe they modified the chassis and ergonomics also, I don't know.

The ergonomics of the 959 are bad also. Tank-bike dimensions & proportions-sitting position, neither good for the road nor for the track. Combine this with the power delivery and is not fun at all.

You mentioned the hp number. That can be deceiving. As an example I find much more easy to enjoy the new BMW S1000RR, new Aprilia factory & R1M on the street than the 959.

Get a test ride!
All that being said, I don't know what you want and expect from a bike.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
410 Posts
What I think relative to your bike needs/wants is irrelevant...
But, looking at the specs I would be a player for that bike; if I was 40 years younger.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am madly in love with the V2 and will be buying one. Not an if, just a when. And the when is probably after a first owner eats the cost of some Termis!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks lovely... but as the F3 is my first ever bike, I think I need to learn how to ride a bit more first... by that time there will be a few nice two year olds around.
Your 800 is in the same class as the V2.

Those that had one, is the 955 Superquadro a (relatively) boring engine compared to the 3 cylinder F3 (800)?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Thanks! Watched it as soon as it was posted, been waiting for 44 teeth's review of the V2 for a week now. Wasn't disappointed!

Just watched the review. What a beautiful bike. Prettier in my eyes than the 959.
It appears they improved the bike.

But let me tell you, the F3 675 or 800 still smokes that bike in handling, character and excitement.
No, I don't really have to ride her to know:wink2:

·
Registered
210 Posts
If MV continued to produce an F4 you would not have this decision.

shame MV do not listen to customer demand.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I can't believe no one has mentioned the brakes. They are shit on the 959 and it looks like they are the same on the V2. It is the biggest complaint I have about the 959. Brakes are weak, mushy and tend to fade. The y are way subpar and do not match the performance of the bike,which is a big problem in my book. Easy to fix with better calipers, but it should come with it from the factory.

Other than that it depends what you prefer. Both, the F3 and the 959/V2 are nice bikes. The Ducati is a bit mellower (not slower) and more predictable. It is an easier bike to ride especially for less than expert level riders.
The F3 has a quicker chassis and response. For every little input, you get an immediate response, no warning. It can feel a little nervous at times.
At 5'8" the ergos on both bike suit me just fine. It is really more about personal preference. I like both bikes very much for different reasons. I feel it is easier to put fast lap times down (especially for an intermediate rider) on the Ducati, but ultimately the potential is higher on the F3. It will take a very high level rider to scratch that potential though.

All my comments are based on track riding. For street riding there are additional factors that come into play.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The biggest difference is the motor between most bikes then the ergonomics depending on the purpose of the bike.

So, a V2 produces more torque but limited RPM. This will really change how you apply throttle and when you shift. I recently went from F3 800 to Ducati 1199S Tricolore which is going from a 800 3cyl inline reverse crank to a 1198 Vtwin. I did it because I deliberately wanted to learn a new way to ride. I became easily fast and comfortable with the F3 800 and the Ducati required about a month of relearning to get it right.

Then the ergonomics. Both bikes are sport bikes but the panigale is designed in a way that you must hang on the side of the bike. The F3 is more forgiving in that requirement. So if you do much straight line riding the ducati sport bikes are not enjoyable. The V2/V4 may be slightly better than the previous generation panigale but it is likely a concern.

It sounds like you want something different enough so a V2 does fit that bill. But I purchased a 1199 and have ridden the 959 and to be honest the 959 felt like it kept falling short in rpm which made me not like that bike. At least the 1199 makes up for the lack of rpm with more torque and HP.

You are going from a 675 to a 959 so in that case it may just satisfy both your need for different and your need for power. I would not however go from F3 800 to V2.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The biggest difference is the motor between most bikes then the ergonomics depending on the purpose of the bike.

So, a V2 produces more torque but limited RPM. This will really change how you apply throttle and when you shift. I recently went from F3 800 to Ducati 1199S Tricolore which is going from a 800 3cyl inline reverse crank to a 1198 Vtwin. I did it because I deliberately wanted to learn a new way to ride. I became easily fast and comfortable with the F3 800 and the Ducati required about a month of relearning to get it right.

Then the ergonomics. Both bikes are sport bikes but the panigale is designed in a way that you must hang on the side of the bike. The F3 is more forgiving in that requirement. So if you do much straight line riding the ducati sport bikes are not enjoyable. The V2/V4 may be slightly better than the previous generation panigale but it is likely a concern.

It sounds like you want something different enough so a V2 does fit that bill. But I purchased a 1199 and have ridden the 959 and to be honest the 959 felt like it kept falling short in rpm which made me not like that bike. At least the 1199 makes up for the lack of rpm with more torque and HP.

You are going from a 675 to a 959 so in that case it may just satisfy both your need for different and your need for power. I would not however go from F3 800 to V2.
Thanks for your impressions. I noticed at trackdays the guys on the 1199 / 1299's had them cranked all the way over, more so than on the other bikes.

I agree that going from an 800 to V2 wouldn't make sense. I still have some learning to do before jumping to a V4 and the V2 fits my requirements nicely. I also really appreciate that the Ducati Superquadro engine has a good track record for reliability.

How is the heat radiating from your 1199 compared to your F3? I know a Ducati emits a lot of heat, just not sure how it compares to our bikes.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If MV continued to produce an F4 you would not have this decision.

shame MV do not listen to customer demand.
More like they havent kept their middleweight F3 800 up to date. It is sorely in need of an update and pretty sure it wouldnt have needed a huge investment from MV as most of the electronic technology is from Bosch and available off the shelf. It then just needed a slight aesthetic make over, a good TFT screen and LED highlight (FFS who puts halogen bulbs in 2020). Aprilia also need this memo...

MV is more interested in limited edition runs and hipster veloce than their F3 it seems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts