MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any owners here? Seating position is definately old school cafe racer style. I heard the suspension is also very unforgiving. Love to hear comments from owners or anyone with real 'seat of the pants' experience.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Drew said:
Any owners here? Seating position is definately old school cafe racer style. I heard the suspension is also very unforgiving. Love to hear comments from owners or anyone with real 'seat of the pants' experience.

Don't worry about the suspension. Any one of a number of tuners are capable of setting the Ohlins as you like.

Nice bike but the original 70's-era super sports were genuine race bikes in their day. The new one is nice to look at but is heavy and underpowered for this day and age. A 750 Brutale will run rings around it and be a lot more comfortable and versatile as well.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I ALMOST bought one, but the Duc salesman (this guy knows EVERYTHING) says it's one of the most uncomfy bikes he's ever owned and he has a 916, a couple vintage cafe racers, and some other rare bikes. He said it's probably a torture rack for two reasons:

1: it's actual sitting position
2: It has no balls and puts you in that aggro position just to taunt you and how horrible a purchase you just made.

He said it'd definitly be something nice to have as a centerpiece in the living room though, as it's super pretty.

Oh, and the wheels have a service interval too...they don't like to stay true. He said they're nowhere NEAR as bad as the old school OG ones, but they're still no fun....

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Depends on how bad you want that look. Comfort is bad but nowhere near as torturous as the originals were. The seat is like a barcalounger compared to the upholstered 2x4's they used in the 70's. I get a real charge out of the guys who complain about tough the clutch pull is on the new bikes. They wouldn't have lasted three laps on one of the old ones.

But why put up with the discomfort anyway? It's OK if you're riding a race bike, but that thing isn't going to go very fast anyway, so what's the point?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
992 cc, daul spark, 98 HP w/performance exhaust, 398 lbs....certainly won't be standing on the podium or riding cross country but looks like fun for short canyon runs. Besides, I don't need to drive the Ferrari everyday! Just a thought.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have one and love it. After I had it a while, I thought it needed a little more of the "race bike" look. I've put Rizoma red grips and gold brake fluid tanks on it. Also put the better seat from Ducati. Also did a slipper clutch, gold brembo rotors, titanium bolts, foot pegs, STM frame plugs, safety wired every thing, Dunlop slicks, Ducati Performance gas cap, race exhaust (this saved a ton of lbs) / ECU / air filter, took off fuel EVAP system, shortened the license plate bracket, took off reflectors, 14/42 gears, Renthal chain, magnesium valve covers, monster turn signals, open clutch cover, red mirrors, STM red oil breather, Hel titanium brake hoses (seperate hose to each front caliper), STM slave cylinder, xenon 100w headlight, and to top it off I got Paul Smart to sign it on the seat side panels. He was at Laguna Seca Ducati island. There were 6 or 7 parked there, but all the others looked pretty plain. I've tried to keep everything Italian and as much with the "look" that Ducati intended. It looks fast and is. The riding position is something you get used to. At first it was tough, but now I like it. It sure turns heads. I have a Hyper Motard ordered for spring and a Mondale for spring of '08.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tuna, Have you seen the new factory fairings with Smarts #12 on it?

A

·
0 Posts
mh 900e for me
love it
and im currently in tha market for one, theyre are only two i know in melbourne
australia
and they are both not looked after
so anyone who can help
let me know
im dying to get one

·
Registered
178 Posts
I really can't believe that there is criticism of the bike's power. It's more than adequate. If you think it is weak I'd venture to say that it's because you're not familiar with the power delivery of twins.

Two good friends of mine have sport-classics. One has a Sport 1000 and the other has the Paul Smart. The guy with the Sport 1000 is a CMRA and CCS expert. Believe me, it's more than fun seeing him blow-out the squids at the local twisties with a bike with 50% comparable power. They really don't know what to say.

Bottomline, if an air-cooled 2V 1000cc desmo with a set of Termis doesn't do anything for your motorcycle passions then you should probably be checking your pulse.

And yes, the ergos are rather harsh on the PS. Even moreso than than my current F4S 750 or my previous 748.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Our local dealer has one...looks good with the fairing...attaching a pic. Have never ridden one, but like the sportclassic 1000 as well

Attachments

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I always fancied one of these myself. :) Never could afford one at the time. :bawling:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
ten~39 said:
I really can't believe that there is criticism of the bike's power. It's more than adequate. If you think it is weak I'd venture to say that it's because you're not familiar with the power delivery of twins.

Not familiar with the power delivery of twins??? LOL Bought my first Ducati twin in 1977. I've ridden and raced shit most guys have only seen in photos.

But you are right. 90hp IS plenty for almost all situations and all riders. I just don't see the point of paying exclusive prices for retro add-ons and everyday performance. YMMV

·
Registered
178 Posts
emmvee said:
Not familiar with the power delivery of twins??? LOL Bought my first Ducati twin in 1977. I've ridden and raced shit most guys have only seen in photos.

But you are right. 90hp IS plenty for almost all situations and all riders. I just don't see the point of paying exclusive prices for retro add-ons and everyday performance. YMMV
The 'you' that I was referring to was generic, not directly aimed towards you.

I was simply commenting towards the overall criticisms within the thread in reference to the "lack of power" of the 1000cc Sport Classics.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts