MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
during a ride last sunday a guy in my social circle was really impressed where MV has gone with their bikes . he claims to have owned one in his life but has a bunch of ducatis now . he said he wouldnt buy an MV now though because it still is a inline 4 . he needs the feeling the ducs twin gives him . in my few hundered miles of owning a 1000r , about the only things my MV has in common with the other in line 4's ive owned , is that the brake was on the right handle bar an the wheels are stacked one in front of the other . the power delivery ... torque curve ..the intake noise , an very aggressive , i will throw u on the groud if u dont respect me throttle resonce , this bike has nothing in common with any inline 4 ive ever riden . if i knew even less about MV then i did when i bought it , an new nothing about what motor was in it , i would be stunned to hear it was a inline 4 . just clarifying for the record

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I think a person who's really biased towards twins won't really be able to appreciate the MV (especially if they're comparing a 99X with a 750 MV). Also, some Ducati owners take the quirks of the Ducati and call it soul. I'm referring the the clacky, clack, clack of the dry clutch - which sounds broken to me. Fours are twins are just different types of animals.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i hear u . but my R doesnt feel like a inline 4 either its in limbo for a good definition of what it is

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was really apprehensive about the inline 4 as well. I have owned at least 6 different modern Ducatis in the last 8 years.

In fact I went last year to purchase a Brutale I ended up with a Black 999S, mostly b/c I couldn't stray away from the pure visceral urge of the V-twin and Ducati experience. I really don't regret it, the "R" was not yet available and I really do like my 999S. I ended up just making an offer on the "R" this year mostly b/c of the things it offered, wheels, paint scheme etc and it has turned out to be the most enjoyable motorcycle I own.

I do love the v-twin sound and torque, but the MV 4 is much different than the Japanese inline engines of todays bikes. The full exhaust and the way the bike revs complete the package, kind of like a V-8 Ferrari compared to that of a Chevy.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Personally I love ducati's got 06 999s and its true the felling of twin and dry clutch is very sublime and unique and I will not trade Duc for F4R you got to have them both. :ahhh:

Having said that the I always say you got have both in line 4 and v twin right now I got 1000RR for in line 4 which is for sale now and soon to be replaced by 07 R.

When I saw my buddies F4S in red/silver I thought you got to have that bike but when I saw F4 R in black on Fort Worth bike show man that's just pure sex on wheels. :yo:

Next day I went to dealer and got approved could pick up on Wednesday but couldnot break the news to my wife since I picked up 999S three months back. Friday Saturday gonna be fun days :smoking: . Ok Its time for Turkey. :later:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Apples to oranges when comparing a twin to an I4. I have owned two I4 bikes prior to my Duc. As much as I love the Duc's low end grunt and massive torque, I find myself yearning to top out at 13-14.5K of rpms. There is something about being able to rev high and still be in the power band that I find intoxicating. Hopefully there is an F4 R in my future that will quench this lust for high rpms.

My point to all this rambling is you cannot compare the two...apples and oranges. Both engine configs have their strengths and there is no happy median between the two to compare.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yeah I have a bunch of good mates that are just Ducati through and through. They love the whole noisy, clattering they call soul. It took me while to get to grips with it, but know when I ride the Dukes they feel old and tired and noisy, and hit a wall up top.They both have merits it's just what you like. Personally I like the refined nature of the MV, it has great mid range and awesome top end, so best of both worlds. You just don't get the same noises, but they have plenty of soul.
My mates are starting to come round and I think the R will sway some. Funny the 1098 hasn't turned them on. They have 996sp's and can't see a reason to change...just yet. If I get another Duke I will have both, problem solved.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would have to agree with the above comments related to no comparison. I own one of each and like them for totally different reasons. They are both Italian and that is about the only similarity. What is cool is they offer different flavors to enjoy. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Performance: Both can get the job done though in different ways.

Reliability: My MV's been WAAAAY more reliable than any Ducati I've owned.

Fit and finish: MV far ahead in perceived quality as well.

Riding Impressions: Maybe I've ridden them for too long but the Ducati motor just feels antiquated. Twins are easier to ride so that may be important to a relative rookie but for an experienced rider, the MV is more satisfying and more fun to boot. IMO.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Maybe someone can help me understand the appeal the sound of a dry clutch. I've had three Ducs and it to me it sounds like it's broken. To others who aren't into motorcycles, the clacky, clack, clack sounds like it's broken. An acquired taste I guess?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Maybe someone can help me understand the appeal the sound of a dry clutch. I've had three Ducs and it to me it sounds like it's broken. To others who aren't into motorcycles, the clacky, clack, clack sounds like it's broken. An acquired taste I guess?
I like it...not too sure why, I think it's just because it has such a raw mechanical sound about it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
How about ease of maintenance and replacement?! And I wouldn't refer to the desmo valves and dry clutch as "quirk(s)" (These characteristics differenciate the brand from any other twins out there. FWIW, there are substanciated advantage to these features. I am a bit surprise at your comments, a 2-time Duc owner.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bottom line for me, you have to have both. I really missed riding my duc when I bought my MV. But i still love riding my duc and the mv. With the new 1098 coming out for $15k, you may as well own both!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
ARCHILLE said:
How about ease of maintenance and replacement?! And I wouldn't refer to the desmo valves and dry clutch as "quirk(s)" (These characteristics differenciate the brand from any other twins out there. FWIW, there are substanciated advantage to these features. I am a bit surprise at your comments, a 2-time Duc owner.)
Actually, I was just referring to the sound of the dry clutch -not the desmo valves or the advantages of the dry clutch. But I can see the appeal of the raw mechanical sound of it.

And that's a three time Duc owner. ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Rockethouse said:
I like it...not too sure why, I think it's just because it has such a raw mechanical sound about it.
Gotta agree with you on that. Dont know what I like so much about it but it definitely has a raw mechanical sound to it that I love. Plus i think they look cool with all the mods you can do to them :)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i think a platform built around a good triple motor is a fair balance of both. the 675 seems to have taken a big step in that category. but being a previous owner of a daytona 955i that i thought i would never sell, THAT motor just didn't have the top end hit and the shriek of the inline 4's. that's what i liked. next up...evo2 in my garage.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
ARCHILLE said:

FWIW, the "substantiated advantages" to ducati for the dry clutch and the Desmodronic valve train end at their brand image and marketing. The main reason for a dry clutch is for rapid clutch changes during racing, that's it. It's otherwise a tradeoff because a wet clutch also runs cooler has longer life etc. Desmodronics may have had their place at one time but there isn't any other manufacturer, car or motorcycle, that uses desmodronics in any modern street or race vehicle. It's not because Ducati owns a patent on it either (they didn't invent it), but because it is unnecessary. Valve springs do a tremendous job these days and up to a point valve float isn't an issue. I generally accept a technology as trully "good" when it becomes universally accepted.

BTW, my tz 250 had a dry clutch which was only good for about two or three hard launches then it was toast!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
ARCHILLE said:
There are *differences* between the desmo system and other systems but I have yet to see any demonstrable advantages for the street and I'm in my fourth DECADE of riding Ducatis.

Even in racing, the desmo system is no magic bullet.

The only measurable advantage to the desmo system on a street bike that I've seen is that the dealership can charge more for adjusting them. ;)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Wasn't there some debate inside Ducati on whether to keep the desmo system values during the development of the 999? I remember hearding the modern valve arguement around that time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts