MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sydney Bikeshow 2006

Just got back from the Sydney bikeshow and saw the new Ducati 1098. The new Ducati 1098 which will cost about $25k AUD which is about $10k cheaper than the 999 ($35k). Image if you have just brought the 999!!!!

The 1098 is the same price as the 749!!!

The 1098 power is up on from the 999, why would you buy the 999?
The quality of the 1098 is typical Ducati and in person the Ducati looks like a CBR1000rr front and a MV rear with twin arrow pipes.

The exhaust on the Casoli MV looks very tasty. If I had the dollar I would love to buy a set for myself.

At the end of the day, the MV has the quality hands down, but MV needs to get their act together if they want to sell more MV Agusta. Ducati WILL sell a sh!t load of the new 1098 as its very affordable. The 1098 is only $5000.00 AUD more than most 1000cc Japanese bikes!!!

Kudos for Ducati by making the 1098 affordable to the general buying public.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Thanks for pics, was at the Brisbane show the week after, I think thats Paul Feeneys Senna, probably last one avaliable for display.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I also just returned from the Sydney show.
I had a friend who was wanting to buy the Ducati 1098, but is waiting now for a test ride.All first and second shipments are are pre sold.
Yes it is a great machine, especially for their new pricing, and you can see where the cost saving has come from. The detailing reminded me of a Honda (not a premier Italian bike). The Ducati men said they were wanting to now compete with the Japanese, hence the new pricing.
I think companies like Casoli will be happy as the little plastic doo dads all over the bike will be upgraded.
I am sure the S model will be tastier still.
Over at MV the difference in quality was immediate even to a novice. I had a good talk with the distributor and they are pretty much sold out of allotments so they are happy. He did say he has allready 4 deposits paid for the new CC at around A$150,000 (and S f4 1000 is A$28,000), so there are buyers.
What was interesting was they had sold a number of S (runouts) to guys that had gone to the show to by an R1 for example, and changed their minds.
The new Japanese bikes I just couldn't get excited about.
The best stands I think were Ducati and MV , but then I am biased.
When I was at the MV stand, I overhead a group of guys say about the F4 R, "That is just perfect, I hope they never change it, like Ducati did". I thought that was intersting.
At Casoli the owner Tim Boydle had his track bike on display complet with tricolour paint job (see above), it was the most photographed bike at the show I was told.
So, all in all, yes the 1098 is exceptional for the price,heading in the right direction but I wouldn't sell my MV for one, that was sure.
Cheers, going for a spin, beautiful Sunday down here.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ducati saved weight and cost by using alot of plastic. I can see alot more of the Ducati on the road in the near future due to the affordability factor. Its only $5k more than most Japanese bike. So its only a few dollars more per month to get an Italian bike - why not.

Servicing cost of the 1098 will be about the same as a standard Jap bike, so yes Ducati will capture alot of new buyers with this bike.

Still, you can't compare the quality of the MV with the Ducati - the MV is just miles ahead in this department.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Greg Albert said:
I also just returned from the Sydney show.
I had a friend who was wanting to buy the Ducati 1098, but is waiting now for a test ride.All first and second shipments are are pre sold.
Yes it is a great machine, especially for their new pricing, and you can see where the cost saving has come from. The detailing reminded me of a Honda (not a premier Italian bike). The Ducati men said they were wanting to now compete with the Japanese, hence the new pricing.
I think companies like Casoli will be happy as the little plastic doo dads all over the bike will be upgraded.
I am sure the S model will be tastier still.
Over at MV the difference in quality was immediate even to a novice. I had a good talk with the distributor and they are pretty much sold out of allotments so they are happy. He did say he has allready 4 deposits paid for the new CC at around A$150,000 (and S f4 1000 is A$28,000), so there are buyers.
What was interesting was they had sold a number of S (runouts) to guys that had gone to the show to by an R1 for example, and changed their minds.
The new Japanese bikes I just couldn't get excited about.
The best stands I think were Ducati and MV , but then I am biased.
When I was at the MV stand, I overhead a group of guys say about the F4 R, "That is just perfect, I hope they never change it, like Ducati did". I thought that was intersting.
At Casoli the owner Tim Boydle had his track bike on display complet with tricolour paint job (see above), it was the most photographed bike at the show I was told.
So, all in all, yes the 1098 is exceptional for the price,heading in the right direction but I wouldn't sell my MV for one, that was sure.
Cheers, going for a spin, beautiful Sunday down here.
Thank you for posting your review of the show and the new 1098.

Is the detailing any worse than the 999? I wan't impressed with the quality, fit and finish of the 999. Does the 1098 look as good or better in person?

With that said, I look forward to seeing the new 1098 in January.
Based on the pics, specs and new lower price, it would be a nice bike to add alongside the F4, but never replace. :D

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
jsdp, the quality and detailing is much worse than the 999 and dramatically so against the 916. They have chased cost reduction which obviously was a major goal. They may attract more converts this way, the real Ducatisti will modify anyway.

·
Registered
367 Posts
OK, so I wanted to go see the new 1098 at the Sydney Motorcycle Show (its first apearance out of europe).
I wanted to see it, to see if Ducati could make me sorry for buying my MV 1000S 6 months earlier (I'm not)

I have to admit I do like it mre than the 999, but I'm still not sold on it. It looks a bit like the Desmosedici with less fairing.
Bit like the front of the 'Triumph 675'.
The rear end looks like an MV ;) (excluding the exhuasts). I reakon the rear light will fit into an MV :stickpoke

Too much plastic looking bits for me, too much like japanese design? maybe.

I think I would buy it over any japanese bike, and the price, in Australia its about $10K cheaper than the 999.
Its $26K AUD.
Prediction: At that price Ducati is going to out sell some of the Japanese manufacturers.

I was having a discussion with someone else looking at the 1098, we both said how we liked it much more than the 999. I said I still think my bike looks better, he said what bike is that? When I said the MV, he said Oh yep. But we ageed it looks more like the 916 than the 999.

With some more stying changes later it will be hot, after I pay my MV off I think I'll get one :yo:

Sorry for the poor quality photos :)

jonathan

Attachments

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I quite like the look of the 1098 Jonathan. People either love or hate the 999 and I was one of the latter I'm afraid. :eek:nthecan: I will definitely take one for a test ride when the dealer puts one on demo but would I buy one? Probably not, when I've got a F4 in the garage to ride instead. :jsm:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Thanks for pics...those ugly exhausts ends look like they are straight of the ZX - 10R, and the pricing is interesting as you can get a new F4s for A$29,990....

·
Registered
367 Posts
agusta01 said:
Thanks for pics...those ugly exhausts ends look like they are straight of the ZX - 10R, and the pricing is interesting as you can get a new F4s for A$29,990....
Yes, I noticed that the S came down in price, which is great.
I really like the 1098, but I also like the R1. MV is still king of looks. :highclap:

Why even filling up my MV on the way home, some guys wanted to talk about my MV.

Jonathan

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Combined with other sydney motorcycle show thread, and moved to appropriate subforum. Nice pictures!

I've been hearing the comments about the rear looking like an f4. Now that you have posted a picture from the rear view, it really does!! Shocking :jsm:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Greg Albert said:
jsdp, the quality and detailing is much worse than the 999 and dramatically so against the 916. They have chased cost reduction which obviously was a major goal. They may attract more converts this way, the real Ducatisti will modify anyway.
Someone I know saw the 1098 at Milan told me it looked like a prototype with all the sharp/unfinished area's, maybe that's what is needed to compete with the Japenese on cost?

·
Registered
367 Posts
jsdp said:
Is the detailing any worse than the 999? I wan't impressed with the quality, fit and finish of the 999. Does the 1098 look as good or better in person?
Yeh, I wasn't too impressed because of what looked like a lot of plastic (more than the fake Carbon on the F4's)

The seat looks strange, where the key slot is between the seat and the 'butt bump' (Not sure what its called).

I reakon though if you put a Quad exhaust on it, it will look tops, bet that will come but they couldn't bring themselves to do it :stickpoke

Oh, and I agree with the statement that the front is also like the CBR 1000

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Does look like the 1098 was put together. I was at the show on Friday and i thought it was a honda RR front with and MV rear. I dont know about those exhausts either. They just standout in your face the tail is so narrow for them. The only thing i did like though about the 1098 and i think MV need to look at is the dash. Full motogp style dashboard looked trick. Mv having being using the same dash forever. I think its time for an update waht do you guys think??

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I was at Eastern Creek for the final round of the OZ Superbikes (great racing by the way), and the hot goss was that Ducati want more (well some) bikes on the track. Ducati haven't been racing in Supers down here for about 3 years and are relegated to twin racing as MV cleaned up in BEARS.
So by reducing the cost etc they are hoping that some teams will hop in and run the Dukes. I think this is a real possibility. Hence the upspec s model with full GP dash and datalogging.
I agree with you the dash and data logging is the best thing I saw on the 1098 and I am sure it will trickle down to others. (You can buy after market if you want anyway).
I also heard of a guy (can't mention names) who is putting a MV race team together to race OZ supers next year and is chasing a name rider.
So we should at least see MV in AMA, OZ Supers, and British SBK next year.I hope the Dukes do go back racing and are competitive it will make it all more interesting.
I have been thinking, and my 20 cents is this. Ducati should have let the 999 series peter out and introduced a more affordable Desmocedici, and then gone Supers racing around the world with a 990 Desmo V4 instead of trying to squeeze what ever they can out of a twin (and even gamble on getting the rules changed!) for the sake of nostalgia.
A version of a Desomcedici for about the price of a 999S , WHERE DO I SIGN?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts