MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel so dumb right now:banghead:, luckily though, minor damage.

Commuted into work today, checked the weather before I left, said it wasn't supposed to storm until the evening. About an hour into working, I look outside and see that it's starting to just pour outside! I had my bike parked in the middle of the lot, but there's an overhang above our loading doors so I decide to quickly move it over under that. Well I guess I was rushing to much and obviously wasn't thinking, probably due to a lack of coffee and because my mind was still on work, and forgot to take the handlebar lock off. Pushed it the first 20 ft with the wheel at full turn, then leaned into the bike a little while I tried to straighten the bars, which obviously stayed where they were. Ended up falling over onto the right side. Felt sick to my stomach about it all day thinking of how much of a dumb ass I am...

Brake lever bent into the frame plate so there is a little dent in it, bar end scraped up, right fairing roughed up but hardly noticeable unless you feel it, and the belly fairing has a little scrape. When I went to leave work later, it wouldn't start due to an RPM sensor error, fiddled with some wires on the right side and thank god it fired up eventually.

Won't be fixing anything until winter, but weighing my options right now on how I'm going to go about it. Insurance will probably be the way to go as the cost of the right fairing alone is more than my deductible, but I'll lose my discount on premiums for all my vehicles. I'm also contemplating going carbon and doing a custom paint with some exposed carbon, but I really love the simple paint scheme with the very subtle red accents. Some Motocorse or Tamburini bits are definitely in the future though for the brake lever and bar ends.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm also not aware of any painters I would trust locally, so fixing the current fairings/custom painting new carbon ones seems like a risky road to me. I can foresee them not matching the paint exactly to the rest of the bike. If it was a full paint job, I'd feel better about it, but it's only the two plastics so I'll probably just end up with OEM fairings painted from the factory. Frame plate scuff really pisses me off though

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
Don't beat yourself too badly.....we can all admit to making mistakes.
At least it is all minor......now that you have scratched her you can ride and enjoy her without the fear of a rock chip from road debris!

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Feel so dumb right now:banghead:, luckily though, minor damage.

Commuted into work today, checked the weather before I left, said it wasn't supposed to storm until the evening. About an hour into working, I look outside and see that it's starting to just pour outside! I had my bike parked in the middle of the lot, but there's an overhang above our loading doors so I decide to quickly move it over under that. Well I guess I was rushing to much and obviously wasn't thinking, probably due to a lack of coffee and because my mind was still on work, and forgot to take the handlebar lock off. Pushed it the first 20 ft with the wheel at full turn, then leaned into the bike a little while I tried to straighten the bars, which obviously stayed where they were. Ended up falling over onto the right side. Felt sick to my stomach about it all day thinking of how much of a dumb ass I am...

Brake lever bent into the frame plate so there is a little dent in it, bar end scraped up, right fairing roughed up but hardly noticeable unless you feel it, and the belly fairing has a little scrape. When I went to leave work later, it wouldn't start due to an RPM sensor error, fiddled with some wires on the right side and thank god it fired up eventually.

Won't be fixing anything until winter, but weighing my options right now on how I'm going to go about it. Insurance will probably be the way to go as the cost of the right fairing alone is more than my deductible, but I'll lose my discount on premiums for all my vehicles. I'm also contemplating going carbon and doing a custom paint with some exposed carbon, but I really love the simple paint scheme with the very subtle red accents. Some Motocorse or Tamburini bits are definitely in the future though for the brake lever and bar ends.
There are those that have and those that will...

Bar ends...I scratched mine and painted it perfectly.
Rear brake lever...They come up on eBay
Frame plate.. What colour is it ? There are some fantastic aerosol paints that do a great job....

Fairing ? Make some enquiries and find a good sprayer. There are some highly skilled people out there who will make light work of it. it sounds like you have only scratched the clear laquer...?

I dropped a brand new Hayabusa a in similar circumstances few years back and I got all precious about repairing it. It cost £ 1800.00 to repair through my insurance. I had to bay a £ 250.00 deductible and then my premiums were loaded for a few years.

In hindsight I could have bought a used clutch lever and bar end and alternator cover from eBay and had a local sprayer touch in the couple of scratches.

I regretted not doing that later....My advice is leave the insurance company out of it. They are rather good at making money ; /

Joe

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I don't feel so bad about it today. Shit happens I guess, it can fixed fairly easily, one way or another. The lower fairing is right through to the plastic, but it's only an inch of the trailing edge. That fairing has been beat up pretty bad from road debris amyway so I'm not overly worried about it. And I think you're right Joe, the side fairing is only the clear, so it might be able to get away with just some sanding and buffing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It happens. I dropped my brutale a week and a half ago. Just got a call from the dealer that my replacement shifter is in. Glad to hear you're ok. Bike parts and cheap, human body parts aren't.

I was tempted to post "dropped it" in the "what did you do to your mv today?" Thread :p

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It happens. I dropped my brutale a week and a half ago. Just got a call from the dealer that my replacement shifter is in. Glad to hear you're ok. Bike parts and cheap, human body parts aren't.

I was tempted to post "dropped it" in the "what did you do to your mv today?" Thread :p
Hehe I had thought about doing that as well, didn't think it fit with the other more positive posts of that thread.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It does make you feel a bit sick. I laid mine down 2 and a half weeks after getting it (backed out of parking, turned, legs up and...stalled). Sucks, but does increase enjoyment not cleaning after every ride because it's not perfect looking anymore, just perfect riding :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Don't be afraid to have the fairings repaired. I had a blister on my belly fairing and used fiberglass cloth with epoxy resin to repair the area. I also sprayed the entire fairing with a silver metallic that perfectly matches the rest of the silver. Yes, I do this as part of my work (boats actually) but I'm sure a local fellow near you could do the same. Would surely be a lot less $ than new parts.

Eric

1 - 10 of 10 Posts