MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my bike this morning and when hitting the start button all i heard was a "click". Battery is a brand new Shorai. Put it on the charger anyway and within 2 minutes got a steady green indicating the battery is fully charged.

Bike is a 2014 Brutale 800 that I bought used from a dealership (fortunately I have a 2 year service contract). The reason I'm questioning whether or not its the sprag clutch is that I had no other indications it was going out on me. When the starter clutch went out on my VFR750 I got some warning signs before it completely failed (grinding sounds). My Brutale has never struggled to start until today and there is just nothing but a "click".

·
Registered
392 Posts
If it is a sprag clutch issue your starter motor will still turn, the engine will still turn over but the engine will not fire due to it not reaching the required rpm (due to sprag clutch slipping). The slipping noise will be heard as it wears further and further.

If the starter or engine does not turn (only click) it's battery or power supply related

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took the advice of @airjawed and recorded a video. Of course when I started recording the issue went away and the bike started normally. (I did catch the issue once in the video.) Took the bike for a ride this afternoon, turned my bike off to take some photos, and when I went to start it the issue was back (again it took 6 or 7 start attempts before the engine finally turned over)

I suppose it could be a loose connection somewhere, but its odd to me that it sounds like power is going to the starter in that "click" and I'm hearing what sounds like fuel priming the motor.

Here is the video:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Is the starter relay easily accessible on the brutale? Its a little bit forward from the fuse box. See if the click is coming from there. Also, check if the power to the starter is tight.

I would check the relay to see if it looks melted or overheated. I'd also visually inspect the starter mount screws and the sprag cover screws. And most importantly the battery terminals for snug fit along with the power connection to the starter.

You will have to dig into the bike a bit more to diagnose it. Since you have the warranty don't try to hard! Warranty there for a reason. Use it.

Does not sound like battery or sprag itself. No loud clack while cranking and the crank speed is excellent as expected from a lithium battery.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My guess is the sprag. I have dealt with 3 bad sprags before and all acted like yours.
It doesn't always produce a loud clicking or banging noise.

·
Registered
465 Posts
When it just clicks that sounds like the starter relay / solenoid activating, but not with enough current to turn over.

If it then turns over I would suspects maybe a bad battery connection?

Or maybe a sensor that is malfunctioning preventing it starting when it turns over.

·
Super Moderator
22,306 Posts
The starter solenoid on the B3 800 is located on the right side of the bike.

1.jpg

Based on your symptoms, remove the solenoid, clean the connections and reinstall ensuring tightness.

Ensure the battery is capable of handling the starting load...voltage is not an indicator of this. Load test the battery.

I would replace the battery with a high quality unit with large Cold Cranking Capacity.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Assuming the new battery is not the problem.
I would check all the battery cable connections, starting at the battery.
And, don't forget the battery ground cable where it terminates on the frame or engine.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Don't forget to check the connection on the starter.

It almost sounds like your starter has a dead spot.

I second the suggestion to put a regular AGM battery instead of a Lithium battery. Shorai have been known to have issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I rode the bike a few times with no issues since posting the video. But then today I went to start the bike and its back to making that mechanical "click" sound at the starter relay when you hit the start button, and won't turn over at all anymore.

Checked the starter relay again, looks great, fuse is good, connections tight.

Checked the battery cable connections at the battery, everything is tight.

I made an appointment with my dealership for next Friday. In the meantime I'm going to troubleshoot it some more. Going to swap the other battery back in (there was a Yuasa in it from the previous owner. I only replaced it with the Shorai because I didn't know how old it was, and I've had great experiences with Shorai batteries in my other bikes.) It really doesn't seem like a battery issue to me, but only one way to know for sure.

Id like to check the cable connection to the starter motor, but I couldn't find it. They pack everything in so tight on this bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh and guys, the Shorai is the LFX19A4-BS12, with 285 CCA, which is 100 more amps than the stock battery, so it should have no problem starting this motorcycle.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Get the digital copy of service manual. It's on this site. The starter electrical circuit is simple but the space is tight. The starter wire is on the top of the starter motor. The other end goes to the relay. There is a engine ground that goes from back of motor to battery negative.

Some of this is easier with battery and battery tray out. Or just let dealer take it on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts