MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my bike about three weeks ago and it handled like a dream. About four or five days ago, I noticed it felt like it was turning in two piece -front and then back instead of one piece. And, the front tire was harder to turn at stand still. Also, I noticed wear up to the edges (usually for the level I'm riding at). Well, I checked my tire pressures and it was like 26/32! I normally like it a bit higher at 34/36.

At first I thought Pro Italia lower the pressure to help me get my feet on the ground but after bring it to 34/36, it handled just like when I bought it.

So the possibilites are:

1) Someone lowered my tire pressure; or
2) I'm loosing are (but I checked for nails and damage - nothing)

Is it normal for a new tire to loose air in three weeks and 300 miles?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Was the tyre temperature checked and tested when the tyres were cold? Tyres temperature rises quickly with only about 1km of slow riding.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock tires were the Pirellis Supercorsa Pro.

I was thinking about tire pressures. I think Pro Italia may have set up the bike in the morning and was probably around 70 degrees. When I adjusted the pressure it was probably around 80 degrees. I thought that temperature may have been a factor but I didn't think it would be that great.

So, is it better to check tire pressure when it's ambient is cold? I assume as it heats up, the pressure will increase, right?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Changes in atmospheric temperature can make a drastic difference in tire pressure, I check mine every second time im on the bike just to be safe.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Temperature is probabaly the culprit here, It seems to make massive differences to these Supercorsa's, I went out on mine the other day and turned around and went home because it felt like I had a puncture, turned out the front had dropped from 33 to 30psi, I don't think these supercorsa's have a lot of feel either, they certainly grip well, but somehow they just don't have the feel like the 3 sets of Michelin Powers I had on my last 1000 did. :wave:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I always check tyre pressure before I go for a ride, ie when the tyres are completely cold.

Its important to us an accurate tyre pressure guage. I use a portable el-cheapo pump to pump up the tyres when required. The guages at the filling station most likely been dropped and abused and out of calibration.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
i checked my tire pressure at 400 miles for the first time.... after 3 days of ownership
they were
22/34
i am NOT kidding
i was SURE that there was a leak in the front tire
i filled them to 34/36 and rode for 25 miles
got to the dealer and they were the same and they've BEEN the same for 2 more weeks.... almost 1,200 miles on the bike now
HOW did this happen?
who knows...... did they NOT PDI the bike properly?
seems UNlikely..... but, there is little other explanation

i check my tire pressure EVERYTIME i ride

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Not very lucky..
1,431 Posts
spalding12 said:
i checked my tire pressure at 400 miles for the first time....
:wtf: "seems" to contridict each other
just wondering.....calm down
take a deep breath
not trying to imply I do it everytime
I do it once a week just because I'm lazy :bandit:
don't mind me......doesn't matter.......just being picky....I ask too many questions :bash:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
spalding12 said:
i checked my tire pressure at 400 miles for the first time.... after 3 days of ownership
they were
22/34
i am NOT kidding
i was SURE that there was a leak in the front tire
i filled them to 34/36 and rode for 25 miles
got to the dealer and they were the same and they've BEEN the same for 2 more weeks.... almost 1,200 miles on the bike now
HOW did this happen?
who knows...... did they NOT PDI the bike properly?
seems UNlikely..... but, there is little other explanation

That was pretty much around the psi I was at. I'll check it on Wednesday afternoon to see how it's changed.

·
Jason + Stanley Knife + D.I.Y = Casualty and
1,061 Posts
hi all
now this is a funny thread
i got my f4 1000
its got do8 rr tyres on it and from day one i've had to put air in it
1st ride out it was 28/32
its been going down always since
just got back from the garage after reading this thread just to see
and guess what

it's fcuking nearly pancake flat

i was gonna wait till its 1st serice to bring this up but i'm gonna have a good check out of the tyre 1st
i thought the original loss of air was due to the tyre sealing on the rim
could be the inner vale not tight thats the next check
anyone else had any problems like this
only i hope its not a bent rim
jas

·
Registered
51 Posts
In my experience, its how the tire was mounted. My Ducati would lose about 4lbs of pressure a week from the rear tire. I had a new tire mounted recently by a perfectionist and now it doesnt lose any.

The guy who installed my tires said its how the tires/wheels are lubed when mounting.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Now my question remains ... what would be the ideal preasure for the tires? In the ballpark at least ... would it be 32/34? thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had a similar problem with a Brutale. The front tire pressure would drop from 32/34psi to 24/26psi all by itself after sitting for a few days. My suspicion was a leaking valve stem or a porus rim. ProItalia checked it for me and found no source of a problem. I kinda lived with it and carried a tire pressure gauge and always checked the pressures when I gassed up before a 'spirited' ride. The pressure did not 'always' drop,- just occasionally.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Darkside said:
:wtf: "seems" to contridict each other
just wondering.....calm down
take a deep breath
not trying to imply I do it everytime
I do it once a week just because I'm lazy :bandit:
don't mind me......doesn't matter.......just being picky....I ask too many questions :bash:
nah....
i like your questions
i still check everytime... had too many issues with low pressure UNtraceable by the service folks

on the other hand, after putting NITROGEN in his tires, my friend hasn't lost a single pound of air in his K1200S in 6 months... and he's ridden 7K miles in that time ...... on michelin pilots

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hes said:
Now my question remains ... what would be the ideal preasure for the tires? In the ballpark at least ... would it be 32/34? thanks for your reply.
That's probably a good base setting but it also depends on your weight. I like the feel of 34/38 which is probably on the high side but I'm also 215 lbs in a 5'5" package. :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thanks Allan. I am a bit taller (6'0") and a bit lighter (170 pounds), so guess will try tires at 32/34 for a while and see how they feel. Had them at 28/30 the other day after not checking on them for a week and did not feel good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts