MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Motorcycle riding for me is both a hobbie and a practical form of transport. I am based in Sydney so I do need to deal with traffic conditions but I love to tour and do the odd track day. Currently I have an old Guzzi (Lario) for the practical runs to work and borrow dads Ducati 748 SP for the fun stuff. Its time to move on from the old Guzzi so I am looking for something fun, pretty to look at but also something that is able to be ridden in traffic if the wife has the car and I need to get to work that day.
I guess my question is basically, How does the Dragster go in traffic?
I am going to test ride a Dragster 800 in the coming days but would appreciate any story's of touring, traffic and track day experiences people might have had.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
48 Posts
I recently picked up a dragster rr and am based in Sydney as well. I have found the dragster is fine in town but not perfect. I find the throttle very low down is not as smooth as the likes of KTM 1290 Super duke but is also not a problem, you just have to adjust and get use to it.

The dragster loves to rev and is temping to rev it through 6-8k rpm to hear the music it produces which can be a little dangerous for your licence. I do understand the latest brutale 800 is much smoother low down and maybe a more relaxed ride through town. Haven't done a track day on it and only done day trips. I am fine for a 400km day on it.

Enjoy your test ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,
Motorcycle riding for me is both a hobbie and a practical form of transport. I am based in Sydney so I do need to deal with traffic conditions but I love to tour and do the odd track day. Currently I have an old Guzzi (Lario) for the practical runs to work and borrow dads Ducati 748 SP for the fun stuff. Its time to move on from the old Guzzi so I am looking for something fun, pretty to look at but also something that is able to be ridden in traffic if the wife has the car and I need to get to work that day.
I guess my question is basically, How does the Dragster go in traffic?
I am going to test ride a Dragster 800 in the coming days but would appreciate any story's of touring, traffic and track day experiences people might have had.
Thanks in advance
Hey Lozdog!

I'm the happy owner of a Dragster RR and I live in Sydney. I have to say that line splitting is painful with the side mirrors. I ended up riding with mine tucked all the time (which is annoying sometime).

Other than that it's a great bike, I went for few rides around Sydney, one or two up the old pacific Hway. The only other annoying thing is the milage, you need to be very careful. At first I was doing 140Kms with the full tank, now it's close to 160-170kms but still... sometime outside Sydney is tricky :p

I have 2,500 kms on the bike and didn't have any issues. I know that few guys in Sydney are having lots of problems and the after sales are not great neither...

See you around ;)
Maxime

·
Registered
43 Posts
for traffic and commuting go the 2016 Brutale...the dragster mirrors require you to have a wide load sticker on your fender.
i do love my dragster though ....occasional commute but mainly for fun.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm in California and use the bike as my only means of transportation. I survived El Nino and commute daily which I love this bike for. No issues with traffic what so ever. The bike has been over several 400+ miles adventures.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My personal opinion, I would like my dragster to have a larger radiator. I think it runs a little on the warm side when I get into traffic and stop lights. summer here in modesto ca. is 95-106 degrees on average.. it is very hot sitting at the stop lights, I can feel it, and the engine gets a little sluggish..gauge gets over the half mark and stays until I get to highway speeds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
geez Kag, thats some tight riding, couldnt take my eyes off it. But be careful!

thanks for all the feedback everyone. Sounds like its quite manageable in traffic, but with the style comes the cost of some practicality loss. They are amazing to look at. keen to have a run on the demo. Ill let you know how it goes

·
Registered
582 Posts
geez Kag, thats some tight riding, couldnt take my eyes off it. But be careful!

thanks for all the feedback everyone. Sounds like its quite manageable in traffic, but with the style comes the cost of some practicality loss. They are amazing to look at. keen to have a run on the demo. Ill let you know how it goes
lol the bike is so much fun to ride, even through traffic. I'm always careful :f4:

·
Registered
445 Posts
She's fine for traffic (Of course with mirrors tucked in)

:popcorn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4zNDyuc18w

I have tons of filtering/lane splitting footage at home, if you want me to upload.

The bike is very practical for me; power of a sports bike, nimbleness of a scooter
You split the same way I do. It's so nice to have a nimble bike!

·
Registered
71 Posts
B3RR is the answer. The Dragqueen's more relaxed geometry and wide mirrors will make it a worse bike for both activities you mention...

Mine's done 9000 miles of track, fast tour and even a little (not much) commuting. It's great for all three. It's been reliable despite living on the rev limiter most of its life!

·
Registered
57 Posts
B3RR is the answer. The Dragqueen's more relaxed geometry and wide mirrors will make it a worse bike for both activities you mention...

Mine's done 9000 miles of track, fast tour and even a little (not much) commuting. It's great for all three. It's been reliable despite living on the rev limiter most of its life!
I thought the B3, Dragster, B3RR, and Dragster RR all have the same geometry?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmm. I had no idea. I just through the different handling characteristics were due to the wider tire at the back of the Dragster slowing down turn-in.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Brutale is different ergos to a dragster. Less fork travel on a dragster and wider tyre. They are not as nimble but share the same engine

The dragster appeals to more for its looks but the brutale is the more practical and cheaper

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased the Dragster 800 RR and I absolutely love it. Filtering with those mirrors can be an issue but I ride mostly out of town. I also agree with the previously mentioned throttle issue but it's not a concern for me.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have the B3 800rr and filtering and low speed fuelling is really not bad. The standard mirrors are quite good for filtering (does not have the Dragster setup)

Only negative is the HUGE amount of heat it generates - specifically on hot days. When the fan goes on it blows everything onto your legs. When you are filtering for 30km along the M1 on a hot day it gets a bit tedious! (But the same with any other big cc bike really)

I've done 4 track days at Eastern Creek with her and all i can say is AWESOME.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts