MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team,

Last week i got an error "Phase sensor" Since then my bike takes longer to turn. After searching around, i called the dealer i got the bike from and he confirmed it was my sprag clutch. They have ordered it in for me.

In the meantime, i was wondering if anyone could help me understand this a little more with the questions below or if anyone has photos:

1) Where is the spray clutch located on the bike
2) Will i need to replace any other gaskets or parts to replace the sprag
3) what parts am i looking into opening to get to the sprag clutch.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Amish, your bike should still be under warranty, it is the dealers responsibility to fit the sprag clutch. It is a job that takes them 3 hours to do so not a ten minute fix. It is a common part across the 800 platform so fits brutale, dragster, rivale, F3 and the TV when it arrives.

jimboF4

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer has ordered the part in for me and will be shipping it out to me in Tanzania via warranty. Unfortunately we don't have a MV dealer, hence i would be performing this job myself.

Donsy. i shall check the manuals. But also, would you be able to advise, what parts i would need and where it is located on the bike? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you see my other thread it sounds like there may be other things to check/fix while doing the replacement - such as cleaning some oil ports. My dealer mentioned something about a recall notice, but it might just be a service note. Either way you should ask your dealer for a copy of the instructions they get for dealing with these replacements. According to my dealer, it is an 8 hour job to replace.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
As it is covered under warranty you should ask your dealer to also supply you with any other required parts/fluids to complete the work, you shouldn't have to purchase these yourself. They should know what will be needed?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Amish, I've not replaced one yet, and hope not to either in the near future. It's not a quick and easy job and requires some decent tools and a good mechanical knowledge, good on you for wanting to try, but I agree with the other guys, get all the parts from your dealer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just had my 3rd sprag clutch replaced today. According to my repair order there are 3 parts needed:
1. Wheel Gear
2. Complete start shaft
3. Freewheel check flange
It's 2 hours of labor and the whole process costs $770 usd.
From what I saw, it's not an easy job so give yourself at least 4 hours to complete. Let us know how it goes.
BTW, also had the gas tank replaced due to ethanol damage. The tank costs $665.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sprag starter diagram

Thanks for the info guys. The dealer is getting the parts in for me. However was promised today but now being told to wait another week.

Can anyone advise me what the sprag clutch insists of? The diagram attached. The dealer told me the sprag clutch will come in about 16 different pieces to become into 3 pieces which is then ready to be reinstalled onto the bike. I was under the impression just the bearing on sprag was needed to be replaced. which is number 3 on the diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi Amish, I have seen and held in my hand the complete spragclutch assembly, it will come as a unit assembled of parts 1 to 14 on the exploded diagram. My tech guy did not have to assemble it.

jimboF4

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey Amish, I never saw the parts but did see the small bag which it fit in. Like Jimbo says, it all seemed to be one piece. Just make sure you get the latest version or you may have to install it again. I sure hope the third time is the charm for me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Parts arrived at my dealer today. There appear to be about 10 parts - all separately packaged. I took a photo of the key parts. I don't know the actual names, but it shows the outer drum, the sprag mechanism itself, and the inner drum.

The dealer also had a faulty one behind the counter all still assembled, so I took a picture of that too. It is pretty easy to pull apart, the gear with the inner drum (RHS) just pulls out - you can see the sprag mechanism sitting inside the gear on the LHS behind the circlip and also the needle roller bearing. The drum on the LHS part slides in between the sprag and the needle roller bearing. You can't really see it in the photo, but the inner drum has friction marks around it - possibly evidence of the sprag sliding around it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
let us know how the install goes. i have a feeling i will be replacing mine soon. Its starting to get hard to start, makes some horrible clanking noises and every now and then throws up the phase sensor error. I was hoping i wouldnt have any of these troubles as i thought the 2014 models might have had a stronger more capable part. Apparently not.

·
Registered
372 Posts
ALL Italian bikes use the same device ...The weak part is the spring , it becomes loose and the starts become crunchy !!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Got my repaired bike back this evening. Working like a charm. This photo is the faulty inner drum portion from out of my bike. You can see the marks on it - maybe these are from the slippage. The mechanic said that the new parts look to be more robust than the old ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
let us know how the install goes. i have a feeling i will be replacing mine soon. Its starting to get hard to start, makes some horrible clanking noises and every now and then throws up the phase sensor error. I was hoping i wouldnt have any of these troubles as i thought the 2014 models might have had a stronger more capable part. Apparently not.

That's exactly how mine started to play up. It only lasted a couple of weeks after starting to make the "clacking" sound. Better to get it sorted sooner rather than later when it completely gives up and leaves you stranded like mine did.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts