MV Agusta Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, I violated rule number 1 when troubleshooting and trying to find root cause by changing more than 1 variable at a time...however, I think my ride has greatly improved. Much smoother in the corners and feels much more planted. I may be imagining it since ive only put on about 30 miles since adjustments, but I feel like the scalloping on the tire has improved already.

I torqued both wheel nuts down - sprocket side was barely on, but wheel side seemed plenty tight. I also adjusted tire pressures and reset all the suspension settings back to stock. I didnt check where the suspension was before, but it seemed pretty stiff. Lastly, I checked my engine oil (unrelated to tires, but if nuts are loose why not check some basics right?). Whoever fiddled with this bike last WAY overfilled the oil. It was at the full mark on the side stand and I had to take out ~550mL to get it down to the full mark when in an upright position. The 20% overfill could possibly be part of my valve cover weep as well... I'm probably imagining it, but the thing seems to shift smoother. I suppose the oil could have been foaming and causing clutch issues?

Kind of embarrassed that I didnt check things a little better before I went riding. Took the previous owners word that it was good to go and excitement got the best of me. Hopefully this discussion will help someone else in the future. I'll post a tire update in another couple hundred miles so we can see the side by side.

·
Super Moderator
25,736 Posts
It will be interesting to see how feel about the bike after you get used to the adjustments..
It is good that you checked the other basics before any real damage occurred. Foaming oil is a high probability with level. high.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I sort of forgot about this thread, but in watching an exhaust video on youtube I saw a very familiar looking pattern....

Same tires as I have so that could be part of it, but ive noticed on my bike it is most prodounced on the right hand side of the bike (shown). The left side is almost perfectly normal.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Well, I violated rule number 1 when troubleshooting and trying to find root cause by changing more than 1 variable at a time...however, I think my ride has greatly improved. Much smoother in the corners and feels much more planted. I may be imagining it since ive only put on about 30 miles since adjustments, but I feel like the scalloping on the tire has improved already.
I don't know how your adjustments work. All of my bikes have clickers. One thing many people don't do is go far enough with their adjustments. I always move 2 clicks. You can then get to that point of too far quicker. This then allows you to bracket your adjustments. Eg 2 clicks out on rebound = not far enough, go another 2 clicks out (total of 4)= too far. So go 1 click in (total of 3 out) and feels good so stop there.

If the bike doesn't have clickers I will generally go one full turn per adjustment, using a half turn as a mid point. Some people have the feel of a house brick. I was adjusting my mates suspension at the track this week. Went out 2 full turns of front rebound and 1 full turn of rear rebound. He comes back and says he couldn't feel any difference. So went another turn out on each, comes back and says he couldn't feel anything 😅. House brick. You can't help people like that.

Also think of preload as dynamic. Meaning it is not set and forget forever. Eg, if you set your bike up for the road then do a track day add some pre load to help make the bike more stable with the additional forces on the bike at a track day.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts