MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever seen tire patterns like this? I bought a 15 Dragster RR recently and I noticed the odd looking wear, but he had just large chicken strips on the tires that I assumed it was due to riding style. Now that I have ridden it a couple hundred miles I notice the same pattern, just closer to the edge of the tire. If you look close, you can see what looks like 3 or 4 different colors/textures in the rubber. Is this just some multi-compound tire effect? Is it the spoked wheels flexing on me? Is it bad suspension setup? I can actually feel the bike bouncing around a little when im in a good turn so im thinking suspension or wheel flex. Admittedly ive never put much effort into tuning suspension for my weight, but Ive also never seen a tire like this in 6 motorcycles...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,763 Posts
Looks to me like your tire pressures are too high.
What do you run for pressures?
Part of that is the areas where compounds meet.

·
Super Moderator
25,763 Posts
A couple? You are running a solid 10psi high.
You are running a a third again as much pressure as you should be.
Where did you get a 43 psi pressure? That is higher than I run on my 980 pound Harley!

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Super Moderator
25,763 Posts
Interesting.
Do what you will, and I am certainly no tire expert. But I would lower my pressures some.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Is the strip on both sides?

Maybe reach out to the manufacturer via website. I’m thinking it’s a compound mix issue.

Added text:
looks like the same discoloration on the sidewall. Snap a few more photos. Chemical contamination? Mold release?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The Rosso 2s have a distinct dual compound line. I have them on my bike. So that is normal.
But the wavyness is not normal. Wheelnut loose, bearings etc? That would be my first stop. Who knows who last fitted your rear wheel...
I also agree with Silent. I run 36 front and rear with the same tyres on my F4. It won't hurt you to try it.

Edit: Just had another thought if the wheel and hardware that attach are all correct it could be related to your traction control. Have seen big scallops of a similar shape of the track Tailem Bend in South Australia. It doesn't look like you are getting much heat into your rear tyre which is surpising considering how soft they are on the sides. Cold edges high pressure and over reliance on traction control while trying to go faster? The lower pressure of 36 may help with that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I dont have a resolution yet, but @LaserBlue gets the gold star. I made the mistake of assuming everything in the rear was good to go, but I found that the sprocket side nut was loose. Not so loose that it wasnt doing anything, but moved easily with a channel lock (didnt have a 55mm 12pt socket). The other nut seemed snug, but again I didnt have the socket so I couldnt check. I bought a socket on the way to work and I'll torque them down and take it for a ride tonight to see how it feels. @EBBO I did feel some odd hopping in the corners - hopefully this explains it. I just hope the looseness didnt damage the hub bearings at all. I also lowered my tire pressure a bit. 36 rear and 33 front.

Thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
544 Posts
What Glenno said.
If they are rosso 2s then they have a very definate and visible compound change - two sets of tyres the same. Don't worry 😁 not chicken strips.

But the wavy pattern is not right. My first rear also had that wavy line - got my suspension setup better for me (not ideal as the standard shock has bugger all adjustment range apparently) and dropped pressures from 41 on rear (which it also states in my manual) down to 33 and no more wavy marks on last set of tyres.

It was a while ago so may be remebering incorrectly, but I think the guy said it was not enough rebound damping so it wasn't settling properly into the corners.

Whatever he said, the gist is that lowering your pressures and tweaking your shock should sort it.
It fixed it for me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Having a closer look at your photo, wavy lines on mine were not quite as pronounced as that. Plus I only had one wavy line where I believe the compound changes (around where the treads end), I didn't have a second wavy line down near the edge of the tyre like yours.

Although that could just be down to me being a bit more of a pussy in the corners than you maybe??

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a rear Rosso II tire that looked just like that. When tire life expired I changed to a Rosso III. Didn't make any changes too suspension and same tire pressures as I normally run.

I'm pretty sure the Rosso II just came like that from the factory.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts