MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team, another slight glitch.

Since last week i have also been monitoring the oil sump drain gasket area. And always see signs of oil around it but never on the floor. Today i actually saw like a drop let on the drain itself as per the photo, its been parked for two days.

Been also monitoring the engine oil level, and the dip stick shows its fine. just just slightly under the max line. Its been this way since i did my 1,000km service.

What should fix this and why would this happen? would i need to replace this with a new gasket?

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mine was like that after it's last dealer service... Was only leaking from around the actual drain plug... Nipped it up tighter & all is well again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same issue on my Dragster, was not the drain plug washer even so that at first look it would make sense that it was, took some time to figure out where it really was coming from. Mine looked exactly like yours in the picture.
In my case we found out the oil is coming out of the hole one the left side of the lower case and seeps down the engine to the drain plug, it's a drain pipe for the water pump. There is a seal on the waterpump (inside the engine case) that needs to be replaced, in my case that actual drain pipe for the waterpump had a hairline crack in it. Dealer dropped the lower pan, replaced all and no more problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Shift tech. Thanks for your advise. I actually inspected the tiny hole you mentioned about.. Every part of the oil sump and hole area was home dry. No signs of oil at all or a path to see where oil was coming from to accumulate on the drain plug.

Earlier today. I torqued the drain at 35nm however would still leak there. Even if I was t riding the bike. So ended up using fibre washer instead of the aluminum washer and torqued it at 25nm. No signs of oil yet. Shall monitor it for the next day or two to see.

However shall replace this with the eom washer waiting to receive from dealer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shift tech. When you inspected the hole, was there a path you could visually see which that it came from the hole to the drain plug?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also replaced the washer as it looked like that's it. Next time I rode it had yet again a slight amount of oil, had the bike sitting for a few days and it got more and dripped directly from the drain plug.

The amount of oil that came out of the hole in the side case was so minor, you really had to look for it. Took me days to find out where it really came from.

The waterpump runs in the engine oil, if it leaks water then it will escape through that tube and then out through the hole in the case. As my drain tube had a crack there was a small amount of oil coming out of it, instead of water if the pump fails.

May be you got lucky and it was the drain plug washer but if it comes back then you may want to check it out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shift Tech, where you able to trace that oil at the drain plug that it was coming from the hole or would it be bone dry every time you checked.

I have made sure there is no dirt or residue of any kind and see if i can see anything dirt sticking to the hole.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, just an update… the fibre washer that i have used temporarily which worked for a while, has now started to leak a little oil as well.

Will have to wait and see now once i receive the new drain plug and washer from my dealer and see if either of these two were the case.

I have no oil leaking down the small hole, its completely dry and no path to see if oil is dripping from it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts