MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet again another glitch with my dragster.

Drove home from work, and found a smears and a patch of oil on my fuel tank. Traced it down, and saw that the oil was leaking from the front right fork on the mount itself where you adjust the dampening (as per the attached photos)

Has anyone had a problem like this? What am i looking at replacing here?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
unusual ,the oil in the forks is about 60 to 70mm down the top of the black part of the shock when fully compressed,so i do not think it is shock oil. as above maybe brake fluid .

cheers eddy

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
Never seen a fork leak at the clickers....suppose it's possible but never seen it.

Like others said, check that it isn't brake fluid first ( will destroy your paint. Clean well).

You would have to disassemble fork damper rod to fix a leak at the clicker ( o-ring?). I'd ask the dealer to do that under warranty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys, i checked the surroundings and of the break fluid cover. Everything was intact and no oil leakage.

Last night i cleaned the front forks and all the areas. Rode the bike to work this morning and monitored it the entire way. The oil was definitely leaking from the dampener area and the bolt thats under it. So am guessing their is an issue with two of the seals and the mounting for sure. However, i shall take it all apart later today and come back and update to what i find.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Amish, that oil looks very thin to be coming from the fork leg, check the brake fluid line, not just the cover, and if you're sure, then I'd say it comes from the Rebound damper adjuster rod and seals (not called a dampener).

There's also an O-ring which seals the hole lot onto the fork leg.
To give you a good idea on what Ed meant, I swapped my fork legs and internals at a recent Tuning day, and I hand tighten my fork tops because the O-ring keeps the oil in, then the top yoke clamps prevent it from undoing itself. No leaks, I've had those fork apart a lot, and have never changed an O-ring.

If your fork is pumping out oil at the top, it has to be from the Rebound adjuster for it to show up that high.

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
The oil was definitely leaking from the DAMPER area and the bolt thats under it. So am guessing their is an issue with two of the seals and the mounting for sure. However, i shall take it all apart later today and come back and update to what i find.
The "Bolt" is the spring pre-load adjuster. The Screw is the rebound damping adjuster ("clicker").

You will need to disassemble the damper rod assembly to repair. Suggest you have the dealer do this unless you have experience dis-assembling modern motorcycle forks. Some special tools may be required.

Your bike should still be in warranty !!!

Hey Donsy...5 weight fork oil is pretty darn thin. Not sure what the Dragster calls for, but 5 to 7.5 is pretty common these days. The fluid in his photos does have a blue tint that doesn't look much like brake fluid.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Leaking damper or breaking fluid, makes no difference. Because this is a warranty issue, if I were you I would let my dealer fix this...

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Leaking damper or breaking fluid, makes no difference. Because this is a warranty issue, if I were you I would let my dealer fix this...
Wake up man, or pay attention, not everybody has a dealer around every corner, the blokes about to install his own new sprag clutch, which the dealer is mailing out to him, give him some useful info instead.
I live in a "State" which is bigger than most of Europe, and we have one dealer, ask Amish where he's from.

Amish - put your location in your signature - you might get less "return it to your dealer" comments.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Hey Donsy...5 weight fork oil is pretty darn thin. Not sure what the Dragster calls for, but 5 to 7.5 is pretty common these days. The fluid in his photos does have a blue tint that doesn't look much like brake fluid.
I hear you Ed, hence my comment on Amish being sure about his findings. :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Could improper initial filling be the issue? If an inexperienced individual over filled the fork, could the pressure then be enough to squeeze it by the O-Rings?

As for Brake fluid, one touch and rubbing between your fingers is usually enough to say if it is or isn't. I find brake fluid to have a very unique feel.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Front fork update

For everyone who replied onto this thread to help out. Thank you very much and its definitely a learning curve for me.

I must say a huge thanks goes out to Donsy for having a lot of the useful manuals on his website. Highly advise everyone to download them, never know when you'll need them.

I totally understand there are several things the dealer needs to get jobs done under warranty. However, i live in Dar - Es - Salaam, Tanzania (Africa) and the closest dealer is in South Africa (5.5 hour flight).

My apologies for getting the technical names wrong for parts related. I am just going with what came into my mind. Hopefully soon i shall be able to post with the correct terminology for the parts.

So down to business. at first when i saw the oil leak. i suspected it could have come from the oil cover, or the brake fluid lines, etc…. Everything was bone dry. No sights of oil squirting or leaking from the covers or the lines. Confirmed this while i rode to work this morning and paid a close eye on the clicker, bolt, and the brake fluid lines and cover. Once again, the oil was leaking more so from the clicker and the bolt. I am 100% and definitely sure the oil leaked out from the clicker and bolt, saw it happening the entire way.

So i took apart the entire fork and inspected for any sort of damages done to the mounts, seals, fork, clicker, bolt, etc… however, no signs of damage anywhere (Please view photo attached of all parts dismantled)

Now here is the funny thing. I am suspecting that either there is a fault with the mount or something, because how all of a sudden would this have occurred, because as soon as i thought i would clean everything and install the fork back into the bike. Rode the bike home and guess what????????? No leakage, The oil was definitely passing through the o-ring for the clicker, and also the bolt. Lets hope it doesn't leak in the next couple days.

Now my question is. could this be due to a faulty parts that i should actually claim through my dealer? they're already mailing me a brand new sprag clutch through warranty in the week or so.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Good on you for having the balls to try and sort things yourself man. Hopefully it was just a badly seated o-ring, its your choice if you wanted to makke a warranty claim. Hopefully its all sorted now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found a leak on my rhs fork at the rebound screw similar to this one after a short ride. Was interesting to read this post, as I was wondering what to do about it.

I have adjusted the screw to one turn out and after a couple of fork pumps there is now no leak, I'll wait till it stops raining before I claim a victory.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts