MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi has anyone with the dragster 800rr had any loose spokes on there wheels , got a lad at the local bike pub who as the same bike as me white 800rr ,and he rides it like he stole it and is on his 3rd back wheel ,as his spokes come loose and when dealer tries to tighten them up they buckle the wheels , as the bike is a dragster 800rr race ready , it seems the rear wheel cannot cope with the power of the bike,
Just want to see if anyone else as had this happen

·
Registered
178 Posts
Tightening spokes is an art that has been lost by most sportbike riders and shops. He may need to take it to a dirt bike shop where they know how to do it. You can get the rim seriously out of round if you tighten them improperly but buckling the rim sounds almost impossible to me. What were they doing to make that happen?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I'm afraid that Capo is probably correct, I wonder how many shops could still maintain spoked wheels properly.
Judging by the amount of "failures" I've read about on these wheels, I've a feeling that this is about to bite MV on the arse in a big financial way, far too many wheels being replaced.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Why do you think the world went to cast wheels?

They'll be bringing out a plunger-framed bike next .......

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
It is interesting as I, and I'll bet a lot of others, didn't even give a second thought to spoked wheel maintenanace.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The BMW GS's are a nightmare for broken spokes. Because the spoke ends on the outside of the rim to allow tubeless tyres, they get filled with crud/road grime/salt and not only seize the spoke to the nipple, but the nipple to the rim. This lack of movement between nipple and rim the causes the wheel to loose a degree of flex causing buckles and fractured spokes.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
It is interesting as I, and I'll bet a lot of others, didn't even give a second thought to spoked wheel maintenanace.

I must admit I thought they would be an obvious nightmare to clean but also didn't give a thought to their maintenance or who I'd use to do it, I'm not sure my local dealer have been sent away for specific spoke training (although they do also restore classic bikes)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Lucky Dutchman, we have over 19 milion bicycles and lots of shops that still know that art. I'll gladly trade my wheels for a set of used Dragster RR wheels.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I can true the wheels on my mountain bike. Its not rocket science. Also they're a lot more fragile than motorbike wheels and for their size and strength take a hell of a beating.

·
Registered
754 Posts
My 650b could not take the beating today. Massive highsider after my front wheel lost traction. Tyre blew from the rim and rim buckled.
I was launched into a fense with barb wire. But only a few scratches.

Rear rim was just replaced after someone crashed into me.

But these rims sure can stand a beating. Even with very low tyre pressures.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My 650b could not take the beating today. Massive highsider after my front wheel lost traction. Tyre blew from the rim and rim buckled.
I was launched into a fense with barb wire. But only a few scratches.

Rear rim was just replaced after someone crashed into me.

But these rims sure can stand a beating. Even with very low tyre pressures.
Sounds like an interesting ride!
I'm still on old fashioned 26in wheels, so many choices nowadays .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts