MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
You hit the nail on the head....7"x5"

does the rear wheel still hit the plate with the 7" X 5" ??

also whats your opinion of crash bungs, are you fitting ? I may order some up now and have fitted on arrival, although have heard they can cause damage to engine block if bike dropped (not any intention to drop, but if this was to happen)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I personally think the swingarm license plate position was the best looking for the new dragster.
Why did you choose to tail tidy yours?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Any chance you have a picture or could tell me what the stock connector looks like for the license plate light?

Thanks!
The connector is approximately 7mm square by 15mm long, male to female. If memory serves it has the option for 4 pins but not sure if all 4 are used. If I have to strip 'plan B' down to do 'plan C', then I will take some photographs of connector.

Another easy way, would be to remove the cable plate cover on the bottom of the swing arm, as the connectors are located there.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
does the rear wheel still hit the plate with the 7" X 5" ??

also whats your opinion of crash bungs, are you fitting ? I may order some up now and have fitted on arrival, although have heard they can cause damage to engine block if bike dropped (not any intention to drop, but if this was to happen)
Unfortunately the rear wheel hits the 7"x5" plate in the first position tried (plan A (as photographs)). I will hopefully get to try 'plan B' today.

I believe crash bungs may help lesson the damage if dropped or crashed. The question of if they can cause more damage, than if not fitted, would depend on where they are mounted (I guess). We used to have crash bungs on our track bikes, but luckily they were never used in anger. We do not intend on fitting them to our road bikes.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I personally think the swingarm license plate position was the best looking for the new dragster.
Why did you choose to tail tidy yours?
We chose to tail tidy ours because we feel that it looks better.......each to their own, I guess >:) If the tail tidies do not work out, then we may have to revert back to the swing arm plate position :crying:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Plan B works a treat. It does look far better than I thought it would and it looks far better in the flesh than the photographs show (the plate does not obscure the tail light as much as you may think it shows in the photographs). The important thing is that you can see the tail lights each side of the number plate and more importantly you can see the brake lights (which only light up on the outside of the tail light anyway).

Basically what we now have is a plate that has been fabricated (OK bent in a vice) to follow the contours and fixed to the plastic moulded under seat arrangement. Attached to this plate, at the bottom, is a 'fabricated' plate that has the original indicators fixed to. At the top of the plate is attached the original tail tidy that we previously purchased and used (which has the original number plate light attached to).

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm mocking up a tail tidy for my 2019 dragster as well. I'm in the US, so our plate are a bit smaller.

I am utilizing the holes where on in stock form, are used for the grommets that hold up the passenger pegs when not in use.

I measured the closest holes, and ended up ordering this tail tidy for a Grom as the base:
https://tstindustries.com/tst-fender-eliminator-for-honda-grom-2017.html

I am using the "lower mounting bracket" piece only. I had to Dremel out the holes as the location of the holes on my bike are a bit closer together than what the bracket allows.

I am using their slim license plate light as well as a start:
https://tstindustries.com/tst-led-low-profile-universal-fit-license-plate-light.html

Signals will be moved into the met openings in the middle of the tail light. Roger from Watsen Design made some that should work perfectly there. Still waiting for them in the mail.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm mocking up a tail tidy for my 2019 dragster as well. I'm in the US, so our plate are a bit smaller.

I am utilizing the holes where on in stock form, are used for the grommets that hold up the passenger pegs when not in use.

I measured the closest holes, and ended up ordering this tail tidy for a Grom as the base:
https://tstindustries.com/tst-fender-eliminator-for-honda-grom-2017.html

I am using the "lower mounting bracket" piece only. I had to Dremel out the holes as the location of the holes on my bike are a bit closer together than what the bracket allows.

I am using their slim license plate light as well as a start:
https://tstindustries.com/tst-led-low-profile-universal-fit-license-plate-light.html

Signals will be moved into the met openings in the middle of the tail light. Roger from Watsen Design made some that should work perfectly there. Still waiting for them in the mail.
This is exactly what I had in mind for mine if I didn't stick with the fender in the back, and what I was looking to explore. I'll probably do the integrated turn signals into the rear brake light though just so I can eliminate blinkers. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is exactly what I had in mind for mine if I didn't stick with the fender in the back, and what I was looking to explore. I'll probably do the integrated turn signals into the rear brake light though just so I can eliminate blinkers. Thanks for the post.
I was able to do integrated signals in the rear tail lights on the pre-2019 redesign because the tail light modules were two different physical lights.

With the newly designed tail section, the tail light appears to be a single light, not two separate ones. I'd love to be proven otherwise, but thats what it looked like to me when I had a look.

-Michael

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was able to do integrated signals in the rear tail lights on the pre-2019 redesign because the tail light modules were two different physical lights.

With the newly designed tail section, the tail light appears to be a single light, not two separate ones. I'd love to be proven otherwise, but thats what it looked like to me when I had a look.

-Michael
ah good call. I guess lucky for me I picked up an 18 and not a 19, haha. Watsen makes great stuff so whatever you end up with i'm sure will look great. I'm waiting on the new connectors I ordered to mount my Watsen flush mount signals for the front turn indicators. I'm a stickler for doing things oem style and have it all plug in play, so the last thing i'd do is chop up the harnesses on either the bike or the stock signals (though, ill probably never use the stock ones again, I like keeping oem parts around just in case).

·
Registered
178 Posts
ah good call. I guess lucky for me I picked up an 18 and not a 19, haha. Watsen makes great stuff so whatever you end up with i'm sure will look great. I'm waiting on the new connectors I ordered to mount my Watsen flush mount signals for the front turn indicators. I'm a stickler for doing things oem style and have it all plug in play, so the last thing i'd do is chop up the harnesses on either the bike or the stock signals (though, ill probably never use the stock ones again, I like keeping oem parts around just in case).
Nice! You and me both brother. I always order OEM style connectors for whatever I'm installing. Roger at Watsen Design always makes sure he has OEM for the bikes too which is great.

I got some signals for the front from him too, but had to go for some tall boys because the location on the 2019s is near the headlight, not on the sides of the bike anymore.

-Michael

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

-Michael

I can confrim the the tail light is all one unit, that goes from one side of the bike around to the other. However the brake lights are only on each side of the single unit (eg 2 separate brake lights). That is why we have made the plate holder that goes over the middle of the light unit. Therefore enabling the lights and brake lights to be seen, each side of the newly installed number plate.:nerd2:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why don't you get Titanium Grade 5 bolts?

Size is M12 x 1,25 x 50 mm DIN 912.

Got them online for less than 30 € delivered from a bicycle tuning store.

And don't torque them more than 20 Nm to Noel's advice ;) .

Why torque to 20NM?

·
Administrator
19,804 Posts
Why torque to 20NM?
The higher torque pressures cause distortion in the hub bearing races and would contribute to premature bearing failures.

This was all documented by The Knurl (Noel, the curmudgeon).

Reactions: YJP

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I went with R&G's swing arm version. Pretty much like stock but much cleaner and less bulky.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know to each there own, but seems like you can either show off the wide rear tire or the clean look under the seat, I originally did the tidy on my 15 RR, this year doesn't come with the side arm, only later to switch to the Rizoma side arm , just my preference. Then picked up a 19RC these have the side arm but ugly blinkers and license mount, did the R&G bracket, with some rizoma blinkers, i think it looks nice. When you look at a bike with the side arm license mount it makes the swingarm look longer and the seat shorter. I think this is a cool look.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I wonder if your plan A would have worked if the mount was out on an small length arm
If you look at a Panigale it’s extends away from the wheel and tail

21 - 40 of 40 Posts