MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.... since I have down time waiting for Muzzy to get their heads out of their a** and get their tooling finished for their fan blades to start rolling out again. I figured I'd buckle down and start a build thread for my Senna.

Mods - if this is in the wrong place, let me know. For my past cars and other bikes there has been a section dedicated to people's builds/projects, so I didn't quite know where to put this. I like to have a record of all the work on my pride and joys, and this is my new #1 on that list, and I'm pretty sure will be for quite a while.

This is MV #2 for me, and 7 years since my last 02' 750, so there was quite a bit of researching and looking before I finally found what I really wanted in another MV... but I finally found a Senna, which was on the top of my wish list (would have also been happy with a 312R, or 1078, or an Ago 1000). Here she is the day I picked her up with my newly born son on it, and once I got her home.

At first I thought I wasn't going to do any mods to this already fantastic machine... but, like everything else with an engine that I have ever owned, that started to go out the window little by little.

The first thing to go was the original Yuasa battery, that even after having it hooked up to my battery tender Jr. decided to give out completely before I even got the chance to take it for a ride once I got it home and it sat for a week. I know a lot of people give these MotoBatt AGM batteries a bad wrap, but I have had them in my last 4-5 bikes, and they have been great. I also upgraded my charger to a Noco Genius after reading some great things about them on here.

Next was getting the cooling system flushed out, the water pump upgraded, and some muzzy fan blades put on to get this thing to run as cool as it could since I live in SWFL, and it's HOT down here in the summer. After a lot of research, I decided to go with the Design Corse water pump. It was such a nice piece, that it just seemed well worth the $$. And let me say, after having it in my hand and installing it, what a nice piece indeed.

I also needed to clean up the exhaust, and thought about ceramic coating the header for better heat management in the fan/radiator area. So I sent the header off to ProCoat in Tampa to have it done. I also picked up an arrow mid-pipe and polished up the rear tail pipes as well... which was A LOT of work... but it was nice to learn something new and do it myself. Some pics of the before and after of the pipes, and the finished exhaust setup.

I picked up some small stuff as well. Some carbon fiber heel guards, a Melotti Tidy Tail, Zero Gravity tinted wind screen, Clear Alternatives integrated tail light, 55w HID kit for the low beam headlight from DDM Tuning, and some 3w Cree LED projector lensed parking lights. Along with a BMC Race air filter as well, that should be here any day. I don't have pics of it all yet, since it's not all back together (still waiting on the Muzzy fan blades), but here is some of it.

Thanks to my wife, I also have a cool key chain to go with it :yo:

I am hoping to get the BMC filter here this week, and I can get the top half of the bike and tail put back on, and also figure out where I am going to put the HID ballast and wiring, since there is not a lot of room.

Next on my list for the future is:
1) Ecu and tune. I would like to get a dyno tune and re-flash to be able to lower the turn on temp for the fans and am working on that... but doesn't look there is anyone offering that near FL from what I have seen so far.

2) Upgraded rear hub. I have been reading quite a lot on this forum since the bike came home in March... and lately it has been all the horror stories of rear hub failure. The bike only has 2700 miles on it, but I want to keep it tip top, and I think it would be a wise investment for either a hub from Mitch or DC... leaning toward's Mitch's hub right now.

3) GP shift pattern. I am still debating between the reverse drum route or some upgraded rear sets. I have seen some reviews on the Gilles saying you had to mod the fairing for the shift linkage... which I am NOT doing. So that's down to Rizoma or Sato. Guess I'm leaning more towards the drum route through MV parts as I like the oem rear sets pretty well.

Muzzy has no ETA on their fan blades, and I don't want to put it all back together until I get them on since I already have the radiator dropped and the coolant drained, which I'll be replacing with engine ice. So it looks like this is it for now. Will keep updating as time goes on, and hopefully this will be some help for others wanting to do the same mods in the future... not that there isn't plenty of good resources here already.

If anyone has any suggestions or input on anything, I would love to hear it. Look forward to getting this thing back together and out for a proper ride, since I have technically owned it for over 2 months with the only ride being a test ride around the neighborhood of the seller when I first bought it. Thanks to all of you who are active, and all of your knowledge and insight and contributions into this great forum. Also some of the site vendors, you guys have some great customer support, which makes getting parts for MV's far less painful. :f4:

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Do your self a favor and forget the Muzzy fan blades. Get a cheap Ducati 1098 fan off ebay and mount in that huge gaping space on the left side of the radiator where MV Agusta should have put one in the first place. It will pull more air than the muzzy and you can either wire it into the existing circuit or use a separate switch. That one minor mod, more than anything else you do, will help keep your engine cool in SWF.

You have a pretty wife and I really like your drive way.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do your self a favor and forget the Muzzy fan blades. Get a cheap Ducati 1098 fan off ebay and mount in that huge gaping space on the left side of the radiator where MV Agusta should have put one in the first place. It will pull more air than the muzzy and you can either wire it into the existing circuit or use a separate switch. That one minor mod, more than anything else you do, will help keep your engine cool in SWF.

You have a pretty wife and I really like your drive way.
I will look into that. The oem blades had started melting on the tips already, so not sure how I feel about keeping them. I may do both.... I dunno.

Thanks!! yea she is the best... and that was the seller's driveway, not mine, lol. Mine is much more plain and boring, lol.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
By all means, replace the plastic blades with aluminum blades, but don't expect a dramatic difference in cooling. Those blades won't melt, but they aren't efficient either.

The problem you have, particularly with the Senna is in the ECU. The timing is retarded at idle. That can only be corrected by a re flash or a new modified ECU.

There is not enough air flowing through the radiator when the bike is not moving to keep it cool. Adding aluminum fan blades won't change that. You have to pull more air through it. Don't worry about exhausting that hot air, it will get out.

Check out the Fanzilla and son of Fanzilla threads for a step by step on how to do it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By all means, replace the plastic blades with aluminum blades, but don't expect a dramatic difference in cooling. Those blades won't melt, but they aren't efficient either.

The problem you have, particularly with the Senna is in the ECU. The timing is retarded at idle. That can only be corrected by a re flash or a new modified ECU.

There is not enough air flowing through the radiator when the bike is not moving to keep it cool. Adding aluminum fan blades won't change that. You have to pull more air through it. Don't worry about exhausting that hot air, it will get out.

Check out the Fanzilla and son of Fanzilla threads for a step by step on how to do it.
I read up on the Fanzilla and son of threads... and I like it. But I can't seam to find the details of HOW they mounted the fan to the radiator, and what they did and used to make the rubber seal around the outside of the fan shroud. I looked through all of his started threads to see if I missed it somehow, but nothing popped out as a more detailed thread.

If I could get some more info on that, that would be great. Now I think on the wiring, I would just simplify it and make the 3rd added 1098 fan wired to a toggle switch and just turn it on/off at the start/end of the ride, and leave the other two wired into the oem switch set by the ECU. NOW with that said if I can get an ECU re-flash with some lower turn on fan temps, that would help even more... plus fixing the crappy stock tune.

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
I'm working with him, Carl, on the crappy stock tune.

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
Curtis, here is one option for ballast mounting...there are others.

DSCN5857rTEXT.jpg

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm working with him, Carl, on the crappy stock tune.
Curtis, here is one option for ballast mounting...there are others.

View attachment 148249
Much thanks Chuck... you have no idea how much that will help me out.

As far as the ballast, I am thinking that, or here...

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=35353&stc=1&d=1271622215

Either I think would be fine, and I don't think I need to be taking off the left side fairing for a whole lot. What about the wiring? Did you guys just make a slot in the top or bottom rubber cover? I am thinking the bottom one as to keep it hidden.

I was thinking more about the 3rd fan today, and I'm at the point to where I am ready to bail on the mussy fan blades, and put the $$ towards a 1098 fan and getting it mounted. Also getting all the fans sitting on the radiator with a gasket around the shroud. Trying to find a similar gasket to what Lee or Stiv used, but there are SO many out there to look though, and it's hard choosing something without having your hands on it.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Get a piece of vacuum line and slit it down it's length only cutting into half the tubing with a razor blade. Voila, instant gasket.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get a piece of vacuum line and slit it down it's length only cutting into half the tubing with a razor blade. Voila, instant gasket.
why did I not think of that? lol... so simple. Should hold up to the heat as well I would think...

Oh, also got a new oil plug in today. The stock one was too plain and the hex hole was kinda warped from being over-tightened with a tool/ratchet... I plan on safety wiring this one, as soon as I pick a spot to wire to. Was first thinking one of the case bolts, but they are kinda small... hmm

·
Registered
819 Posts
That's a really good looking cleanup/polish job on the mufflers. Just wish ProCoat did as good a job on my stuff that it looks like was done on the headers. BTW, did they do the inside of the pipes as well or only the outside?

P.S. Wiring to one of the case bolts is fine. If you end up swinging by bring one of the bolts with you and i'll dig out a couple matching bolts you can take with you to practice on drilling out for the safety wire.

EDIT: If you still need/want a reverse shift drum let me know should you stop by.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
why did I not think of that? lol... so simple. Should hold up to the heat as well I would think...

Oh, also got a new oil plug in today. The stock one was too plain and the hex hole was kinda warped from being over-tightened with a tool/ratchet... I plan on safety wiring this one, as soon as I pick a spot to wire to. Was first thinking one of the case bolts, but they are kinda small... hmm

Easy to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That's a really good looking cleanup/polish job on the mufflers. Just wish ProCoat did as good a job on my stuff that it looks like was done on the headers. BTW, did they do the inside of the pipes as well or only the outside?

P.S. Wiring to one of the case bolts is fine. If you end up swinging by bring one of the bolts with you and i'll dig out a couple matching bolts you can take with you to practice on drilling out for the safety wire.

EDIT: If you still need/want a reverse shift drum let me know should you stop by.
Yea, I still want that 06' seat from you... just trying to figure out if I'm going up 75 or 17 through Orlando on the way up to NC next month. Do you have the reverse shift drum parts too?! That would be saweeeet. That may make my decision for me :mouthwate

Edit: I can see it coated in the header as far as I can see with a flash light... not sure if it goes all the way through or not.

Easy to do.
Ya, It's been a while since I have broken out the safety wire pliers and wire... also think I have a nice carbide 1/16 bit... I just need to find it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In other news, I officially cancelled my order on the Muzzy fan blades today... just waiting on the BMC filter to come in, which should be shipped to me by the end of the week this week. Only a couple ends of the top fan fan-blades had started melting, wasn't as bad as I thought. Figured once I get all this done and a 3rd fan mounted, I shouldn't really need the aluminum fan blades.

I worked on the oem fans last night. I started on the bottom fan first since the small radiator doesn't have a curve to it. I found some rubber surround laying around I have used on my Jeep/car for projects... and well, threw it in the toaster oven @300 degrees to make sure it would hold up. I ended up taking the bent lip around the edge, and bending it out straight, then taking the rubber and gluing it around the edge... for the bottom fan that looks like it is all it will need to sit flush on the radiator. I will mess with the top fan later this week, and am ordering a 1098 fan and switch as I type to start working on the 3rd fan. I also need to pull the radiators all the way off to check fitting and get the mounting tabs for the 1098 fan welded on. Pics of progress so far...

At least I am getting somewhere now, and not staring at my Senna in the garage hoping to get fan blades in sometime soon.

·
Registered
819 Posts
To keep the lower fan blades from melting just hot wire the fan to run all the time. Its the sitting there at idle or low speed while right next to the header that gets it.

And double check those fan blade tips to make sure they clear the gasket material. From the pics looks like they could catch an edge.

And yes, i have a reverse shift drum.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You might regret that.
Why's that? If they start rolling out soon, I'll order them again, not a big deal.

To keep the lower fan blades from melting just hot wire the fan to run all the time. Its the sitting there at idle or low speed while right next to the header that gets it.

And double check those fan blade tips to make sure they clear the gasket material. From the pics looks like they could catch an edge.

And yes, i have a reverse shift drum.
It was the upper smaller fan that had a couple blades with melted tips... not the lower one. Hoping the ceramic coating on the header is going to help with overall heat in that entire area. The blades clear the rubber gasket no problem... one of the first things I checked. Making some tweaks on it still, and got the whole rad off last night to make sure my fitment on them is all good.

Should I just bring a shopping cart by your place and see what I can throw in it? :yo:

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Why's that? If they start rolling out soon, I'll order them again, not a big deal.
No problem, I thought you where excluding them all together, Motowheels just posted that they have them in stock somewhere else on the forum.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No problem, I thought you where excluding them all together, Motowheels just posted that they have them in stock somewhere else on the forum.
Hm... that's interesting. I just talked to someone at Muzzy late last week and said they were still working out the tooling to make them. Sounded like they had a run of them that didn't work out, and they were making adjustments. I'll see if Motowheels has em. I would still like a set, but not waiting around on them any more.

1 - 20 of 399 Posts