MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took the 990r to the track and promptly low sided it @ about 55 mph ... second session, tarmac still warming up, second lap, good lean, go to tighten line to clip apex, get on the gas a bit and then :wtf:. I see the bike travel on its side across the track unaccompanied, bounce over the rumble strip and onto the run off whilst I follow it and stop sliding on the track !!! .... predictable maybe :stickpoke

I really thought that was my 2 days on track over but this is what happened:

Passengerpeg.jpg

Brakelever.jpg

enginecasing.jpg

Bung.jpg

Really glad I got some bungs last week, and those big plastic ones may look ugly but they do their job :jsm:

It had been kind of soft on stock settings (which I feel contributed to my off) so I got my stock suspension set up by the guys from Crescent after that and what a difference ... much more feel and better able to react to my will without upsetting the balance ....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to see you seem to be okay mate. Make sure you get some engine protection happening before you go out next time.
Good advice! It will go out again - and it'll have a few more bits on it, including casing covers!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ugh...

Sorry to hear... Buy a CBR600 to tear it up on the track. When you throw it away in a turn and you're sliding along you can yell WEEEEEEE! instead of "Oh my god, that didnt just happen"

Hope you get it fixed up soon!

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Sorry to hear... Buy a CBR600 to tear it up on the track. When you throw it away in a turn and you're sliding along you can yell WEEEEEEE! instead of "Oh my god, that didnt just happen"

Hope you get it fixed up soon!
Realy :stickpoke What's wrong with Tracking a MV :jerkoff:

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Not a thing, but I'd rather throw a disposable Bic Lighter down the track than a Rembrant...:jerkoff:
Typical crap attitude from gutless Jap bike riders, there is no difference, except it being more fun on a MV. Anybody can ride a Honda........
Is there some f....king book that tell's you when you can track a bike or when not.
Sorry mate, this attitude is wearing me down a bit, there is a lot of guys on here who track their MV's, if you want to compare it to a useless piece of paint, so be it, but don't tell us we should not be riding our bike's in a way they were designed to be used in the first place.
I have seen blokes with Desmosidi's and CC's on the track, you going to tell them to get a CBR......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Took the 990r to the track and promptly low sided it @ about 55 mph ... second session, tarmac still warming up, second lap, good lean, go to tighten line to clip apex, get on the gas a bit and then :wtf:. I see the bike travel on its side across the track unaccompanied, bounce over the rumble strip and onto the run off whilst I follow it and stop sliding on the track !!! .... predictable maybe :stickpoke

I really thought that was my 2 days on track over but this is what happened:

View attachment 50267

View attachment 50268

View attachment 50269

View attachment 50270

Really glad I got some bungs last week, and those big plastic ones may look ugly but they do their job :jsm:

It had been kind of soft on stock settings (which I feel contributed to my off) so I got my stock suspension set up by the guys from Crescent after that and what a difference ... much more feel and better able to react to my will without upsetting the balance ....
What type of frame sliders did you have i am looking for a set

·
Registered
119 Posts
Typical crap attitude from gutless Jap bike riders, there is no difference, except it being more fun on a MV. Anybody can ride a Honda........
Is there some f....king book that tell's you when you can track a bike or when not.
Sorry mate, this attitude is wearing me down a bit, there is a lot of guys on here who track their MV's, if you want to compare it to a useless piece of paint, so be it, but don't tell us we should not be riding our bike's in a way they were designed to be used in the first place.
I have seen blokes with Desmosidi's and CC's on the track, you going to tell them to get a CBR......
It's not like anybody's saying that MVs aren't good track bikes, I'm sure they're fantastic. It's more a question of cost. Not all of us can afford Italian priced repairs after a track get off. So if you've got the $$ for it, more power to ya, but I'll stick with my SV650 for now

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Yeah

It's not like anybody's saying that MVs aren't good track bikes, I'm sure they're fantastic. It's more a question of cost. Not all of us can afford Italian priced repairs after a track get off. So if you've got the $$ for it, more power to ya, but I'll stick with my SV650 for now
You have no idea what it cost me (and my family) and some of the members on here to Race this bike, and I don't mean money, I mean personal sacrifice. Why do you even want to take me on when I was not even talking to you mate ?
Do your research first, talk shit after :stickpoke

·
Registered
119 Posts
You have no idea what it cost me (and my family) and some of the members on here to Race this bike, and I don't mean money, I mean personal sacrifice. Why do you even want to take me on when I was not even talking to you mate ?
Do your research first, talk shit after :stickpoke
Who's talking shit? I'm not saying that an MV isn't a great track bike... I was just explaining to you the rationale people have for having an MV for a street bike and a cheap Jap bike for the track. Not everybody is a hardcore racer, some of us just want to have a fun track day out at a reasonable cost..

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
You are !

Who's talking shit? I'm not saying that an MV isn't a great track bike... I was just explaining to you the rationale people have for having an MV for a street bike and a cheap Jap bike for the track. Not everybody is a hardcore racer, some of us just want to have a fun track day out at a reasonable cost..
Because, if you used the money spent on buying and maintaining the SV, on enjoying riding the MV, you would have even more fun.
It's this thing that you just mentioned that you have to be rich to enjoy a MV that shits me mate.
You do pay a bit more for the better part's, but it is better. Choice is yours, but don't discourage other people from enjoying their MV's, anywhere, because there is a few guy's on this forum trying to prove to a whole lot of other people that MV's can do it all.
BTW. If you go and do a track day on a cheap bike and cheap tyres, you are also more likely to pick up the big Hospital invoice.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You don't need to be rich to enjoy an MV, but you do need a decent amount of disposable income if you bin your street MV at the track and want to repair it back to original condition. Last time out, the guy in front of me highsided on his kitted out RSV4. When that poor thing was dragged back to the pits, the dude was almost in tears knowing that he just pissed away about $20K worth of bike. I've highsided my SV before, and the repair cost me maybe $600. Hell, my whole SV cost about as much as one of his fancy unobtanium wheels...

I'm not discouraging anybody from tracking whatever they want, but it's just silly to suggest that it's in any way more sensible to track an MV than a comparable Jap. But if brand loyalty and/or certain MV intangibles outweigh the cost disadvantages to you, than by all means go for it. I'd be glad to see you at the track. Just be prepared to lay out more money when you inevitably crash.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I've seen guys with Desmoseidicis and CC's on the track too.

They don't ride them as fast as the guys ride the throw away Hondas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts