MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a piece of news related to some earlier speculation that Doug Chandler would be on the MV next year.

I talked to Mr. Chandler this weekend, and he had said that he called Ferracci and emailed Mr. Castiglioni about setting something up for next year. He did this because of how much he enjoyed riding the 1000S in the Cycle World test he did. With someone like him, that kind of request is going to be taken seriously. But apparently it didn't work out and had nothing to do with this team that Ferracci is putting together now to go racing.

FYI, Mr. Chandler has nothing but praise for the MV bikes, and I believe he hasn't ridden the 1000R yet!

In unrelated news, Doug Chandler set the track record at Arroyo Seco this weekend, beating out Ben Thompson's record set earlier in the year. Ben Thompson is the rider who qualified on pole for the AMA Superbike round at Mid-Ohio during a rider protest. He also gained the respect of a national and world champion who came to talk to him after the race about his performance during the race. Apparenly Neil Hodgson actually asked for Ben Thompson's autograph too, that must have been surreal! What I'm saying is, Mr. Chandler still has it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ARCHILLE said:
Rumor has it that Doug and Kurtis, of Roberts clan, will be teammates next year and the operations will be featured as a reality show.
Talked about that a little bit as well, and he actually asked for my input on the show (!). I just said I'd like to know more about Kurtis Roberts coming from himself rather than what I read in the press or see on the track.

Also talked about some stuff off the record about what bikes they will be on next year. And the answer is, not necessarily Kawasakis. Which is what he's been riding at his schools and on his own.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Doug Chandler, Dr. Smooth. I've taken a few race schools, didn't know Doug ran any---Where can I sign up?
His riding style has got to be "The" textbook way to ride a motorcycle. SuperbikePlanet ran a story about a year ago on his son, 15 at the time I believe, who was starting to do trackdays, amateur races, etc. Though he's probably been on a flat tracker since he was 4!

Dave

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JamesC said:
Cool conversation Andy. Thanks for asking! There was a lot of talk around MidOhio where things sounded much farther along. I'm sorry we don't have a three rider FBF team with him included, can you imagine..!!
I can't even tell you how happy I would be to see that, James. Watching Doug in motion is magic, nobody enters a corner as smoothly as he does. It's sometimes hard to believe he's going so fast when watching him. His fast laps look like a jog in the park. Not like some of the newer riders who have that frenzied, backing it in, wobbling style.

It would have been a good match for the bike and the team, in my opinion.

But I think Doug is keen on doing his own thing too, and this deal with Kurtis Roberts fits right into that.

And, you heard it here first, the way his son is riding right now, he could be a part of future plans too...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stormyboy said:
Doug Chandler, Dr. Smooth. I've taken a few race schools, and if Doug ever opened one up, I'd sign up right away.
His riding style has got to be "The" textbook way to ride a motorcycle. SuperbikePlanet ran a story about a year ago on his son, 15 at the time I believe, who was starting to do trackdays, amateur races, etc. Though he's probably been on a flat tracker since he was 4!

Dave
He has a school! www.champ-racing.com

I was in the school, riding around with him and his son Jett.

Jett did his first race with us at Arroyo Seco and did very well, but didn't set the world on fire.

This past weekend, he did set the world on fire, let's say. More later.

He's a nice kid too. When I demolished my ZX-6RR at the first school I took, Jett stopped and helped pick up the mess.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cool! I usually drag the wife and daughter to some far away set of trackdays/race school once a year anyways (had thought about a nice winter trip to Vegas, hehehe), maybe I can talk them into the back to back schools in May @ Miller with Doug.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
409 Posts
wow cool info acruhl . do u mind if i ask u how u happen to come accross such a interview with mr chandler ? doug is about the smoothest rider ive ever seen , the eldest hayden owes alot to him . from what i understand he really picked up speed after dougs counsel

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doug Chandler and son Jett:

http://www.hdvideo.smugmug.com/gallery/2130139/3/110281044

Mr. Chandler comes out and visits us at our little track in the desert sometimes.

He brought his son out to race because we don't have huge grids, it's a safe track, and it's also quite a difficult track.

Doug is a regular guy. He likes guy stuff. He's a gearhead. He's talking about building race cars for his son. He also speaks very directly about things, but doesn't say more than he needs to about what he's going to do (ie, no gossip).

Not to mention that he's still one of the best racers on the planet, in my opinion.

Here's a tidbit:

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=27595

And if you'd like to know more about what's going on at our club:

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=27594

1 - 12 of 12 Posts