MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my bike back from Bennetts in Barnsley (MV dealers) after my 7500 mile service. I decided to send it to them as i wanted a franchise mv dealer to undertake the work. I'm so glad i did - although the bike is pampered and low mileage (2001 F4S) the rear hub was a mess!! The centre spindle had fused to the hub bearings due to lack of grease and the only way to get it off was to cut the hub and a lot of manipulation/swearing. The hub was saved, but a new spindle had to be purchased - ouch! To the dealers credit, they sourced me a new one and i got a good deal on it. The hub was moving fine with no lateral movement or tell tale signs of hub bearing failure before servicing. If I had sent it to a dealer unfamiliar with this model, the hub may not have been looked at and a seized hub at 80mph on a bend would not have been pretty. Be warned folks - get the hub checked on a regular basis!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
That's no good !!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
folks,

I was always paranoid about the rear hub and knew it was the achilles heal of these bikes. i always checked the rear hub for any abnormal heat and any bearing debris on the rear wheel. I never power washed the bike either!!
I would definately inspect the hub annually now, and ensure the bearings are well greased and the spindle moves freely. Don't look for symptoms first.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
glad the bennetts boys sorted it, mines going in for major service in 2 weeks and will make sure they check mine even though i had to have whole new rear hub assembley which i documented on here last year.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I keep a spare hub assembly, just in case

·
Registered
100 Posts
have just done mine and found the double row bearing gone so replaced the lot.........i now keep a spare hub with new bearings and seals.............have a look at my pics...........keep an eye on them guys

·
Registered
20 Posts
You got me thinking guys.
Next week i will have the 24k kms service done...although i have 21k.
As you might remember the MV AGUSTA dealership in Greece has closed down and the service will be done at a friend mechanic who only does SS bikes.
As i have no idea...can you plz tell me , do i need to replace the rear hub or just check it for signs of wear?

My bike is a F4 750S evo3.

Thank you all

·
Administrator
18,850 Posts
Rear hub bearings to be cleaned, inspected and greased or renewed at every 7500 mile service (12000 Km).

Proper chain tension (not too tight, please), and fastener torque are essential to bearing life. Pressure washing will also shorten life by driving water into bearings and washing grease out.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If the hub is in good condition it will push out easily I had to bash mine with a hammer!

Will check this new bike every 12000kms myself - don't trust the workshops anymore!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm pleased that this fault was found by your service agents, to think what might have happened if it had seized at high speed or around a bend is unimaginable. As this seems to be a common fault I consider this to be a very serious manufacturing fault putting peoples lives at risk.

The bike only has a miserly 7500 miles under it's wheels, it appears to be well looked after and dealer serviced. MV should cough up and pay for replacement even though it's well passed it's warranty.

Is this part fit for purpose? As it's not an isolated occurrence I'm not sure that it is.

What would happen if Ford produced a part on their cars which would endanger lives? Would they ignore the problem, I don't think so, vehicles would be recalled and modified parts fitted. What will it take? Somebody to loose their life?

That's my two penneth worth.

Gazz

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Gazz

You are right about 'fit for purpose' it's clearly not. To have the hub of a high performance sports bike incorporate three different types of bearings and have some sealed and unsealed is a recipe for disaster. Clearly dangerous and quite a sobering thought when i think of what could have happened!! The bike was well looked after, but was serviced by a dealership in ipswich (not mv) prior to my purchase. I know what mv would say if i tried to claim on the spindle.

But complete failure at 7500 miles is a joke.

I just wonder if the hub has ever been modified for the later bikes or whether the same hub is still used?

As for putting pressure on mv, i believe it would have to be a collective approach by all of us who have been placed in danger by what otherwise is a fantastic bike.

thanks

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Hi Gazz

But complete failure at 7500 miles is a joke.

I just wonder if the hub has ever been modified for the later bikes or whether the same hub is still used?

As for putting pressure on mv, i believe it would have to be a collective approach by all of us who have been placed in danger by what otherwise is a fantastic bike.

thanks
Well said sir. I echo your sentiment that the rear hub fusing into something unrecognizable with only so few miles is ridiculous indeed.

I would also like to know if the hub has been modified in any way. All I do know is on my bike I switched from the stock hub to the magnesium ORO hub through my MV dealership when the bike had around 3k miles. I will still be of course making it a point to get the hub checked out at every service.

I hope MV have not repeated the same mistakes (overheating, hub) on their next gen of bikes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i have just been in contact with moto gb.......they give me a very quick reply,take the bike to your local dealer where you can make a claim...........but what if your bike is out of its warranty??after all this time they should have reconised there is a genuine safety issue here.EVERY HUB FAIL SHOULD BE REPORTED maybe then they will listen

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
wow that's fark. How come the spindle split in two different places, could it be that the pervious owner or service person over tighten the spindle? If the hub failed wouldn't the bearing(s) discinigrate well before the spindle?

Also how come the 55mm nut is blacken and burnt in colour? Did someone use a blow torch to release the nut?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts