MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a dumbass. I was excited by the 50+ degree temps here in NY yesterday, so I took out the MV with a REALLY lose chain and did this to my sprocket. 44 tooth sprocket, here I come!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
How loose was it and how many K's has your MV done?

this will tell us more! Badluck mate!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gazman said:
How loose was it and how many K's has your MV done?

this will tell us more! Badluck mate!
I'm just a few miles short of 15,000. The chain was so loose that it was rubbing against the lower fairing piece near the front sprocket.

I was planning on replacing the chain and putting on a 44T sprocket, so really this is no problem.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
frenaugo said:
I nearly got wiped out by a chain that snapped and came off the bike in front. it was like a airborne python that was after me :shitfan: It missed thankfully.

It is dangerous to ride with a chain that loose, it could take your leg off or worse, it could also hurt someone else, DONT DO IT :bash:
The image of a chain whipping off another bike and coming at you in mid air is a scary thought. I bet a chain could do a lot of damage to a soft and squishy object like a person.

And yeah, I was stupid for trying ride with my chain like that.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
psperl said:
I'm just a few miles short of 15,000. The chain was so loose that it was rubbing against the lower fairing piece near the front sprocket.

I was planning on replacing the chain and putting on a 44T sprocket, so really this is no problem.
Always a good idea to check your chain before every ride.Just a couple of minutes to adjust.
If you give it heaps on the last ride chances are it will losen a little every time.
Anyway a nice taut chain feels so much nicer,you get all those ponies to the rear wheel without lag or backlash!

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
minime said:
hmm you sure a loose chain did that!!! Never seen a loose chain done that much damage before?
Well, no I'm not certain the chain did that, but I can't figure out what else would.

Twice I jumped on the bike pretty hard and felt and heard a "click" from the rear, I am assuming this was the tooth coming off.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad you or someone else wasn't hurt.

·
Registered
720 Posts
psperl said:
So I'm a dumbass. I was excited by the 50+ degree temps here in NY yesterday, so I took out the MV with a REALLY lose chain and did this to my sprocket. 44 tooth sprocket, here I come!

This is not the worst thing what could happened with loose chain.....after all you were lycky..not blocked rear tyre and so on....... :stickpoke :jsm: :jsm:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just a reminder not to be too obsessive about chain slack. A chain that's too tight will stretch, wear, and/or break too. Keep it within spec.

·
Registered
796 Posts
hmm,you got lucky,two friends of mine had serious accidents with the loose chain

in the first case the rear weel jammed and he crashed but the second one used a "racing" no name brand chain,which he was tricked into buying by some dealer but the chain was very loose,my friend was a begineer and didn't know mechanics(yet he rode an yamaha r6,smart guy :D ) and the chain simply snapped off and hit him in the legs with a very deep gash as a result.also,he crashed and broke some bones and some skin on his legs

·
Registered
184 Posts
Good excuse to get a new sprocket? No great loss, consider yourself lucky, and get a new chain. Remember to PROPERLY torque the eccentic bolts.. I have read some stories about crushing bearings..

Coleman.

·
Registered
75 Posts
do i need any special tools to adjust my chain? And where can i get the torque figures for tightening it all up.
Thanks in advance folk.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I had a brand new chain snap on my RGV-250 whilst doing a trackday at Cadwell Park once. It ripped a crack right through the crank case and went flying off the back of the bike after momentarily jamming and sending the backend sideways as I was leant over going round the Gooseneck at the time!

Thankfully there was no-one immediately behind me, and though my entire engine oil got dumped on the track in the space of 100 yards, no-one came off. Though I did get some bad looks as they red-flagged the session, which was the last one of the day!

(The new chain was fitted along with new sprockets and adjusted and oiled properly the day before. Unfortunately we couldn't find all of it so couldn't determine why it had failed.)

Si

·
Registered
75 Posts
ED1435 said:
do i need any special tools to adjust my chain? And where can i get the torque figures for tightening it all up.
Thanks in advance folk.
Any help with this one, or a like to another post perhaps?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Thankfully there was no-one immediately behind me, and though my entire engine oil got dumped on the track in the space of 100 yards, no-one came off. Though I did get some bad looks as they red-flagged the session, which was the last one of the day!

Si[/QUOTE]
That does help when you are last!:stickpoke Sry had to do it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts