MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I know there are several people here who have dogs, and I'm looking for a little advice.

I have a 5yr old female Bassett Hound, Lola. When she was 12mths old we got a second puppy, and all was fine. 18mths later, my (ex)wife and I separated, and my intention was that both dogs would stay together.

Cutting a long story short, my ex decided different, and Lola came to live with me. She has been my life-saver, and i would do anything for her happiness. Many people say that Bassetts are best in pair's, as they are pack dogs, and I also think it would be nice for her to have company.

The opportunity has arisen to give a home (and fresh start) to another 5yr old female Bassett, who to be honest could be the twin of mine. My concern is that over the last 2.5yrs she has become used to being the only dog in my life, and whilst she is an extremely friendly, loving, and easy-going dog I would hate to introduce something to our household that would cause her upset or anxiety.

So, what are peoples experiences, and how have you gone about introducing a new dog into an established household (it's currently just me and Lola)?

Registered
My sister in law had two Bassetts - they loved being together. Seems like Bassetts are really easy going, but I've never had one.

Since shortly after my wife and I married, we have had at least two dogs. It seems that they always liked having another dog around, except for Oreo. Oreo (male) was a Pit Bull / Blue Healer mix (some call them Pit Healers) and at one time we had four dogs including Oreo. Well, Oreo and Max (black male lab) didn't get along, and we had to always keep them separated, which was kind of a pain. Oreo was always the Alpha Dog in the group ... a little vicious (put 2 people in hospital), but he was ridiculously smart and loyal. And he loved us.

Anyway, the issues between Oreo and Max were not immediately apparent and only developed over time. Thus, you never know how it will work out in the long run between two males, but overall we've had 9-10 dogs over the last 30 years and all but Oreo and Max really liked having other dogs around.

Registered
I dearly love bassets, but I understand that they are not long lived. The problem with all dogs is that you fall in love with them, adopt them into the family like an additional child, and they die 8-13 years later......breaking your heart. That being said, I've a precocious two year old spaniel, so here we go again.

King of Bling
Hi mate.... we have 4 dogs (Hungarian vizsla), ages 14, 11, 8 and 16 months.

All are entire (3 having been used at stud). We have always brought in the new dog as a puppy, and made a point of having a good age gap between the youngest and second youngest to ensure no rivalry and to facilitate an easy-going hierarchy.

Were we to bring in an older dog, we would let the dogs meet and walk together on a very regular basis i.e. at least once per day for a number of weeks. During this time, the dog would also be visiting the house and those visits taking longer and longer, until it becomes an overnight stay, and then a weekend. If goes all well, at this point, I would say that the dogs know each other well enough to live together.

A word of caution however, my wife co-owns a couple of bitches and breeds vizsla. She would never sell 2 puppies, let alone puppies of the same sex into a household due to sibling rivalry. When I showed her this post, her recommendation was that if possible to bring in a neutered male, as it was rare for there to be any problems between a boy and a girl regardless of age, but sometime brining a girl could be an issue and fighting girls are far more vicious and caused more damage than fighting boys.

If this is not possible and the gentle, slowly acclimatising approach not possible, then bring in the bitch (after having walked both bitches together) but the new bitch's bed is to be a large cage, which is closed at night and when you are out until such a time that you are satisfied that they both get on and neither girl is being bullied.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the last paragraph is both the likely scenario and great advice, thanks John. It sounds like the current owners will put her into a dogs home if she hasn't been taken within a week :( so a protracted handover is unlikely. If I decide to go ahead, it will be on the basis of give it a couple of weeks and if there are issues we will have to think again .......

Its very difficult to be certain one is doing the right thing!

Registered
?

Watch the Dog Whisperer, Cesar Millan

He has it figured out.....

I've tried his technique on unruly dogs and it works instantly

you MUST be the pack leader

I've only had 1 dog in my life and it was trained by someone to the Nth degree

he had 6 modes;

>tied to something.....he will eat you if he can reach you

>in an enclosed space.....no one enters or leaves without my permission

>strangers knock on doors......don't open it.....he will eat you

>guarding me....indoors never more than 3' away......pointed at the

nearest person

>don't raise your voice around me.....you are suspect

>outdoors.......big puppy time......if i'm not there

he NEVER barked or growled.....you break his rules you got bit.....except for kids......

he Absolutely ignored other dogs.....they got a 2-3 second stare from his yellow Wolf eyes and they stopped and went away.....he was the Alpha male no question about it

he was trained to eat only one kind of food and only out of his bowl...you put his food on the ground and he wouldn't touch it......put some steak in his bowl.....he would not touch it

if I awoke at 4 am, he was watching me

and my Sister wants me to get another dog

not after him, never happen

miss you my pal......42 years later;

he was way better than my Uncle Keith's cattle dog that would bring a specific cow back out of a herd of 2-300 cows my Uncle was offered $10,000 for the dog in 1962 and turned it down

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, we met Wilma yesterday and it raised as many questions as it answered.

She came from West Wales as a puppy, and somehow her owners have "misplaced' her paperwork ..... Although they have had her since a pup. They can't locate her in innoculation history even though she's been with the same vet since 2008 (which would make her 6 not the stated 5).

She was extremely nervous, and clearly scared of the person with her, who showed little or no emotion or love towards her. Through that though, you could see glimmers of a lovely little dog who was just very confused about the situation she's found herself in. She is currently being left at the owners brother in laws.

She is being re-homed because she growled at the familys new baby. She was put up for rehoming at the start of the week, yet the baby is only a week old ......

She is very small for a Bassett, and when observed running around seemed a little "wobbly" at the rear end. On the way home it also twitter that the owner had said something about her not being able to climb the stairs at home.

She seemed to play well with my dog, lola, though did snap at her twice - on both occasions when she was having a fuss made of her and lola came over to see what was happening.

The rehoming lady was surprised at both the attitude of the owner and the manner of the dog.

So, I am in more of a quandry than ever. I am desperately sad for her, and can see a nice dog in there somewhere, but at the same time am nervous about bringing a dog into the home that has the potential to upset my existing one and also concerned about taking on a dog which could have significant health problems.

edit - to explain one comment above, West Wales is an area notorious for "puppy farms" where dogs are kept in poor conditions and just bred and bred for financial gain with little or no thought for animal welfare. This often results in dog with unusual characteristics and health problems.

Super Moderator
I'd pass.

King of Bling
All Puppy Farms should be closed down in my opinion.

As sad as it maybe, be strong and walk away...

It's not worth upsetting the apple cart in this situation... You know in your own head what the right thing to do is..

It's sad and this type of thing happens all the time..As experienced dog owners, we can sometimes read between the lines and foreseen problems in the future...

Registered
Dogs are a reflection of their leader - which should be the person who owns them...though it doesn't always work out that way.

Before we got our Samson at 10 months of age, we did knock back another newfie offered for rescue, whose personality had been thoroughly damaged by its owners. Tough decision, but definitely the right one

Samson on the other hand was untrained (undamaged by anyone), wild, full of beans, an escape artist, alpha male dominant, but extremely gentle of disposition and highly respectful of us. Not an ounce of aggressivity towards other dogs, but demanding and getting respect from them, even breaking up fights at the park. 10 years down the track he has proven the best ever choice for us.

The decision to get a new dog is a commitment of many years. Do not make it lightly.

Hereunder, a pic of our 11y old with his mate Thomas the lab, this morning after their walk. A good life.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, after a lot of thought and consideration I decided the first dog I looked at, Wilma - a female Basset just about the same age as my existing one, Lola - had too much baggage for me to be able to deal with in my current position, relying on my parents for daycare at least a couple of days a week.

However, a couple of weeks later I got an e-mail from the local Basset Welfare lady about Reef, a young (3yr old) male Basset needing a home. He had been left with a vet who refused to put him down for his owners. He was the second vet they'd tried, and the second to refuse to euthanase him. They said (wrote, even) that he was "evil". He had supposedly gone for their child twice - the first time he had been asleep when the child fell on him, the second time he was asleep when the child dragged him off a sofa by his ears!

Either way, I saw him Friday, and after spending 15-20 minutes with him we also introduced him to Lola .... And they spent the next 45mins playing happily together. I picked him up the following morning, and he has been good as gold ever since. He has stolen the hearts of everyone he's met, including my parents. Other than one brief moment yesterday morning he and Lola have got on brilliantly, and I think Lola might have started that.....

King of Bling
Very cute... He's defo a keeper...

Don't worry about the odd tiff, it's probably Lola putting him in his place and letting him know who's boss.. Girls always rule the nest. :)

Happy ending!

Registered
You done good Moose. You done good. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys! The "Evil" dog, within 15mins of meeting my (eldest) son & his girlfriend .....

Registered
Wait. Devon? Devon UK? Moose, you're a lucky man.

The wife and I spent most of a memorable anniversary trip in Southwest England. A few days at Bovey Castle ... toured much of the area. Beautiful. Just beautiful. :smoking:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wait. Devon? Devon UK? Moose, you're a lucky man.

The wife and I spent most of a memorable anniversary trip in Southwest England. A few days at Bovey Castle ... toured much of the area. Beautiful. Just beautiful. :smoking:

:) Small world indeed. I think of the place by it's pre Peter DeSavary name - The Manor House Hotel - and to make the world even smaller, I live about 10-15 miles from there :)

Oh, and yes - I do appreciate where I live ......

Registered
Great decision, Moose.
Beautiful dogs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts