MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last sport bike was a 2004 R1 and I don't remember having the front tire wear like this at 3K miles. What's weird is the rear tire is fine. Usually they go way before the front. If it is unusual, any opinions as to why it would wear that way? Possibly my rusty riding style?

For Silent Service, it's an MV Agusta 2014 F4RR, white/red with gold wheels. :wink2:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,344 Posts
^^^I was thinking that, too. A tire pressure issue. But then I saw the color combo and that loads the front unevenly because red is heavier than white. The reason for the triangulation is the gold wheels. Those tires don't like bling. I'd recommend the 2015 model, it doesn't have the same issues.

Now just where is that "tongue-in-cheek" moji.....?

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I was thinking that could be the issue although I do regularly check the pressure. Maybe I need to ALWAYS check the pressure. And thanks for the wheel tip SS. The MY14 does come with black wheels but the Miami drug dealer I bought it from had them gold plated. I think the bling helps to blind the competition behind me in turns. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to check when I get home to see what it is now but I do keep it at 33 front and 33 rear which I believe is what is recommended.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
I'll have to check when I get home to see what it is now but I do keep it at 33 front and 33 rear which I believe is what is recommended.
Sounds low to me for road use mate, is that measured cold and recommended by tyre manufacturer or bike manual ?
At the end of the day, it's not unsafe as much as you loosing out on tyre life as you said, but probably also steering feel. Up the pressure 3-4psi and see how that feels. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
On an 800 33/4f and rear would be OK but the heavier thousand I'd run more like 36f and a little more at back too

My mv was 33/4 and felt really good at this which is what they said on the pirelli site. The fork sticker said 38/9 but I found this lost 'feel'

However my aprilia is a good 25kg heavier and this definitely needed more at 36 & 40 as it felt like it was tucking on the lower pressures

On short pressures are very very important in my opinion

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's how my first tyre went after just over 2000 miles! They were down to the canvas before I noticed. Tyre pressures were good.
I did much of my early biking on 2-stroke race-reps so particularly aggressive on turn in and corner speed.
My new Michelin Pilots are heading the same way but lasting much longer.
This is the first bike I've had where the front wears much quicker than the rear.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Interesting.
I run 32 psi front and rear on the road.

From what I'm seeing you aren't pushing the front hard at all and not leaning over to high lean angles either.
Cutting out the front tire at about half way over on each side indicates to me that you are scrubbing rubber off at your preferred lean angle. You aren't putting the outer edges or centre of the tire through the same stresses so I think this is just your riding style showing through on a very soft tire.

·
Super Moderator
22,344 Posts
That would be a good pressure...You are in Florida...the flat center is from riding straight. Seriously. The flat on the left side is from road crown.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I presume 'fingertight's' wear is from road use only?
On dirty/dusty/damp/broken/cold UK roads, I find you can't be too aggressive on lean angle so I tend to lean the bike as far as feels comfortable/safe then shift my body off the bike to do the rest. This also helps out of corners when getting on the throttle. The bike gives good feedback and quite manageable at the point where the front starts to tuck, thankfully (so far!).

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds low to me for road use mate, is that measured cold and recommended by tyre manufacturer or bike manual ?
At the end of the day, it's not unsafe as much as you loosing out on tyre life as you said, but probably also steering feel. Up the pressure 3-4psi and see how that feels. :wink2:

It's what the MV owners manual states. The problem is I don't know if that was the pressure the last time I took her out for a solid mountain ride. I have a new tire on order and will keep a close eye on the pressure and wear.

Interesting.
I run 32 psi front and rear on the road.

From what I'm seeing you aren't pushing the front hard at all and not leaning over to high lean angles either.
Cutting out the front tire at about half way over on each side indicates to me that you are scrubbing rubber off at your preferred lean angle. You aren't putting the outer edges or centre of the tire through the same stresses so I think this is just your riding style showing through on a very soft tire.

I'm thinking you are right here which is why I offered up that critic as well. Unless I go up into the mountains, there aren't a lot of roads around me where I could push it. Also, I'm older and have a higher sense of mortality now, sold the R1 back in 2007, so my capabilities don't match up with the bike. :) I'm thinking of taking her up to VIR this summer for their riding course just to get some coaching.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would be a good pressure...You are in Florida...the flat center is from riding straight. Seriously. The flat on the left side is from road crown.

I'm in NC and I try not to ride straight too much. :) The center of the tire isn't really flat at all. It just looks that way in the picture and there is slightly more wear on the left but it's not because of road crown. That's a myth. The couple degrees of crown can't possibly get that wear that far from the center of the tire. It's from left turns which are a longer arc and usually at higher speeds and more lean than right turns.

·
Super Moderator
22,344 Posts
ah, yes...the longer left turn.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Your response sounds a little snarky but what I stated is fact. Lot's of information out there to confirm it. Even common sense tells you the road crown isn't at a high enough degree to wear the tire that far from the center. Heck, you can look at it yourself when you're on a crowned road. Won't even come close to matching up. I suggest you speak with any tire engineer and give them your road crown theory. They'll confirm it's bullshit.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Your response sounds a little snarky but what I stated is fact. Lot's of information out there to confirm it. Even common sense tells you the road crown isn't at a high enough degree to wear the tire that far from the center. Heck, you can look at it yourself when you're on a crowned road. Won't even come close to matching up. I suggest you speak with any tire engineer and give them your road crown theory. They'll confirm it's bullshit.
I'll have to disagree. My tyres here in Oz wear more on the right as we drive on the opposite side of the road to you. Road crown does wear them more on the relative side. I've been riding a shitload of years and worn out the same amount of tyres, the right side always hitting the wear bars first. We also spell 'tyre' correctly over here.:wink2:

Cheers

Deano

·
Super Moderator
22,344 Posts
^^^You also have longer right turns because you drive on the opposite side of the road.

·
Super Moderator
22,344 Posts

Snarky?:surprise:

Oh, if I were being snarky, there would be no doubt.>:)

Now, were you to learn the search function, you would find threads upon threads of "uneven tire wear"...

Here are a few examples:

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/16-general-talk/4239-wtf-would-make-my-tires-wear-like.html

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/56-suspension-brakes-tyre-tech/4379-anyone-had-front-tyre-wear-like.html

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-maintenance-tech-issues-all-4-cyl-models/32612-if-tires-could-talk-what-would-these-say.html

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/56-suspension-brakes-tyre-tech/51136-front-tyres-uneven-wear-pattern-2.html

Now, I put these in pseudo-chronological order. It shows that we are a learning organization. :nerd2:
There are more, but I am at work and out of time.

Snarky The Machine

1 - 20 of 38 Posts