MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi you all!
I recently test Rode an '06 F4-1000S and I didnt notice the seat getting hot, but I only rode it for 5 miles. I'm not sure if thats a long enough test ride to tell if the seat gets hot like the 749 and 999(999 not as bad as the 749) I test rode a few months back. I actually bought an RC-51 because I didnt like the excessive heat the Ducatis generated under the seat and near the inside of my legs.
I already decided that Im going to put a deposite on an '07 F4-1000R Red/Silver next week but I was hoping you guys could reassure me that my new F4 wont roast my Buns. :mad:
My concern comes from the Senna Review in Cycle World's September Issue where they made a reference to the Senna's seat being compared to a Hibachi, getting even hotter then the 999R's seat and roasting balls. LOL!
I didnt think that the F4's seat got warm at all, not even close to that of the 999 I test rode but then again I only rode the F4 for 5 miles.
All honesty would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Oh and by the way... It was the most thrilling ride I ever had on a motorcycle (First I-4 1000 I ever rode too, I own an '06 RC-51 and an '06 GSXR-750). I had that F4 up to 110 mph on the highway, with barely an effort, at one point of my test Ride too! Oooooooooh Weeee!!!! :toothless

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Well, I never noticed it getting hot. Sometimes when I brake I feel the heat from the exhaust taking me over.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So then no heat issues from under the seat or from the side or from anywhere for that matter that would cause any discomfort, from what your saying right???

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Glarepro said:
So then no heat issues from under the seat or from the side or from anywhere for that matter that would cause any discomfort, from what your saying right???
Yes and no. I would only be concerned if you intended to use it as a commuter in hot weather in very slow moving taffic in which case the seat/engine can get quite warm sometimes and like most bikes, engine heat can be a pain in the summer months but as for the MV roasting your nuts etc. while riding hills or highway, not an issue.

·
Registered
150 Posts
well, it depends... if you never ride below 140 Km/h (90 mph) it's normal, more or less. In traffic or waiting in a queue for more than 15 second "hot" is just reductive, you really think someone put you on a BBQ.
I never rode a F4 S but on my F4 R the air flow takes heat away only at high speeds, 90 Km/h (55 mph) means coolant temperature fixed on 98° C (208 ° F), after just 30/40 seconds above 160 Km/h (100 mph) you reach 80 ° C (176° F); heat coming from exhaust is more or less the same and you just sit on it. As we say in Italy "chi si ferma è perduto", that comes more or less "He who stops is lost" :)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Glarepro said:
Hi you all!
I recently test Rode an '06 F4-1000S and I didnt notice the seat getting hot, but I only road it for 5 miles. I'm not sure if thats a long enough test ride to tell if the seat gets hot like the 749 and 999(999 not as bad as the 749) I test rode a few months back. I actually bought an RC-51 because I didnt like the excessive heat the Ducatis generated under the seat and near the inside of my legs.
I already decided that Im going to put a deposite on an '07 F4-1000R Red/Silver next week but I was hoping you guys could reassure me that my new F4 wont roast my Buns. :mad:
My concern comes from the Senna Review in Cycle World's September Issue where they made a reference to the Senna's seat being compared to a Hibachi, getting even hotter then the 999R's seat and roasting balls. LOL!
I didnt think that the F4's seat got warm at all, not even close to that of the 999 I test rode but then again I only rode the F4 for 5 miles.
All honesty would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Oh and by the way... It was the most thrilling ride I ever had on a motorcycle (First I-4 1000 I ever rode too, I own an '06 RC-51 and an '06 GSXR-750). I had that F4 up to 110 mph on the highway, with barely an effort, at one point of my test Ride too! Oooooooooh Weeee!!!! :toothless
I think they get hot but there is a way to remove most of the heat and that is to get a link pipe to replace the catylser that lives by your right foot and also get the bike mapped properly as thye run very weak to get through the emissions regs, and weak also equals hot

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
My R1 was way hotter in traffic and on open road...its just journo hype.
You got to expect that if you route exhausts 1 inch from your bum there will be a bit of warmth....its just part of the deal!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Just think of it as central heating for your arse on a cold day :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
I can offer that I have spent over 1 hour one time, splitting lanes on a 90+ degree day here in LA. For about a 30-minute span, speeds were under 30-40 MPH due to the VERY thin lanes of the 210 Fwy West through Pasadena, and VERY heavy traffic. It was a hot and dry day, about 2pm, coolant temp was up to 212 degrees indicated, at one point. I could feel the warmth of the seat, but it was by no means "hot" (I was wearing riding jeans, not leathers on this day)...The rear cowl is CF, so maybe that is a bit better (or worse) for heat transmission, but it was barely noticeable.

What was hot though, was the inside of my right ankle...Crispy, like a drumstick on a BBQ spit sitting down there by the up-bend in the exhaust!

On any other ride so far (approaching 2,500 miles now...) I don't notice the seat heat or ankle roast one bit, except on a cold morning when the slight seat warmth does keep my rump roasty, as John previously mentioned.

My two cents.

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
337 Posts
the seat itself doesn not get hot but on an extremely hot day my thighs seere from the head....so it's really omitting from the sides of the right and left fairing. and you will need some good stop and go traffic to really feel the affects!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! I was hoping for a Unanimous vote here but it looks as if you guys are split on this. Like I mentioned before, I turned my back on the 999 because of the heat issue and from what Im hearing here from you F4 owners is that its at least the same deal with the F4. So now Im split too. Hmnmmm.... What do I do??? Do I fork over a deposite for an '07 F4 or do I wait for HONDA to buy them out and resolve the Heat issue?? LOL! :banghead:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I live in Southern California, and today will be another day above 100 degs F in the Valleys. I would not be loving my F4 if its emitting all kinds of unwanted heat close to my body. Thats why Im so concerned about this issue.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Glarepro said:
I live in Southern California, and today will be another day above 100 degs F in the Valleys. I would not be loving my F4 if its emitting all kinds of unwanted heat close to my body. Thats why Im so concerned about this issue.

If it's that serious of an issue for you to cause you to even momentarily ponder the purchase then I suggest not getting an F4. You will eventually have to go slow and also have to stop at times. F4s run hot and the 1000 is worse than the 750.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
james is right, it's a hot running bike.

i've hit the warning on the temp once, in traffic. and during my first track day, it was always up at 225-235.

it's been much better since i've changed the coolant. the next track day was 215-220. however, it was cooler out (about 10F less ambient).

my lower fan has melted blades. i know others here have the same.

ben's senna runs even hotter than my S.

i think it goes like this 750<1kS<1kR=Senna

alex

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That sounds like a serious problem on these F4's to me. :eek:
Passion or no Passion, emotions aside you have to eventually ride the bike unless you're just going to put it up on your mantle and if it gets too hot or over heats then that is not cool dude! What the Heck!! Melted Blades!!!! Exclusive Italian bike or not.
Now im seriously reconsidering.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
In short, I lived in Phoenix for 6 years are commuted on my bike even through summer (110 degrees+). The 999 was the absolute worst as it burn and scarred my left shin. The second worst was a 2004 Yamaha R1 which was extremely hot on my legs but never caused burns or scars. I'd say the MV is about as hot as the 996. They do run hot and they do bleed off some heat but I never go burns or feel the need to try and deflect the heat.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts