MV Agusta Forum banner

Does anyone live near these places?

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  LiquidWhy 
#1 ·
As some may still remember, I always wanted to own an F4 but live nowhere near a dealership. I finally decided that the time has come to actually get one of these disregarding the dealership issue. Now...since I lost my heart years ago on the original red/silver/star wheels combo, I am actually looking for a 2005/2006 model even though the price difference between the 2005/2006 and 2007 models seems to get smaller and smaller. Furthermore, 2006 models are very, very rare to find these days.

I know that some may say for the price/value ratio, go with a 2007 bike which is technically newer (and may be better in the traditional sense), it just does not look like the one I fell in love with and is still my absolute dream bike.

To make it even more complicated, I look for a low mileage Monoposto version as well which seems to make it even harder. I have actually found three F4 Monoposto on Cycletrader which have below 1K miles. They are at different dealerships throughout the nation. Unfortunately, I cannot justify flying around to take a look at these bikes in person.

Now....since I know that this forum is filled with both knowledgeable and very nice members, is anyone close to either one of the following dealerships?

• Ducati Miami, Miami Gardens, FL
  • European Cycle Sport, LTD., Plano, TX
  • DeSimone MotorSport, Mount Laurel, NJ

The order pretty much reflects my preference in the bikes (although having the 600 miles service done as the last one should may be a benefit). So...if you live near these place, would you be willing to take a look at the bike, take some pictures and check the overall impression...if you know anything about the dealership and/or the bikes I'll take that as well.

Please let me know whether you are close so we can discuss further (I am certainly willing to reimburse you with a dinner etc. if you offer to go there). Thank you very much, I really appreciate any help I can get in this regard.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks John....as I am technically *challenged*...care to elaborate a little bit? Is it because the mechanical peaces have hardly moved or broken in? My reasoning for a low mileage is simply that chances of being abused are less (which may just the opposite as well though if it is a demo bike).

#4 ·
I'd avoid demo bikes, not matter the mileage--I know how they get ridden :naughty:

A 5 yr old bike with less than a few thousand miles likely has the same, old, oil, which sits and degrades the aluminum in the engine, plus you get dried-out gaskets, seals (in the engine, bearings, suspension, etc.), tires, etc....

Not all bikes are like this--Some are meticulously taken care of, ridden regularly, but for short distances, etc.--But even then, short trips where the engine never reaches full operating temp, or where the engine sits stone cold for weeks at a time are just brutal on engines.

For cars, they use two scenarios as best and worst cases for engine wear:
Worst case, 'the little-old-lady'--Car gets driven a fw times a week to the post office, only 5 miles ea. way, never reaching operating temp, frequent stop and go.

Best case, 'the traveling salesman'--Lots of miles, but mostly at highway speed, full temp, everyday use, little stop and go.

#5 ·
Thanks....I actually knew that I need to swap the tires, have them change the oil etc. but I did not think about the seals etc. good point. Other than that, I guess you unfortunately cannot really tell how a used bike was ridden - whether it was a demo or not...

#6 ·
I saw Pro Italia in LA have an 05 F4 1+1. Red/Silver / Star wheels. I think we have lots of members in that area too. They are asking $11,500. It only has 1500 miles - say's pre-owned so I assume it's not a demo bike.

http://proitalia.com/pre-owned.html#

I'm actually after the same bike - though the newer black one is tempting I'm going for the red / silver also. I think the red shows off the details and angles better than the black. I'm looking for the original colours because I want to keep this bike along with my 750 brute until I'm too old to ride and then I'll keep it to look at everyday and show my grandkids what a fossil fuel burning motorcycle looked like:D My love of this bike has turned into a desire to have a modest collection. I'm not as concerned about the low milage - something under 10k miles would be fine for me.

I just moved house over these last few weeks so I am going to hold out a few months before I make a purchase on an F4 but I'm still searching everyday incase a gift horse opens it's mouth:D

Good luck in your search. If you find something in the bay area I don't mind checking it out for you but I'm not a mechanic.

#7 ·
"I guess you unfortunately cannot really tell how a used bike was ridden - whether it was a demo or not..."

I'd imagine if it's a demo bike they would have to inform you and not sell it as a pre-owned vehicle. Also a call to the DMV with the VIN number, (or is there a carfax for motorcycles?) should tell you if it was ever sold. I think most dealers would be upfront about it being a demo bike though.

#13 ·
Now....since I know that this forum is filled with both knowledgeable and very nice members.....
Yes ASM, but unfortunately they are mutually exclusive. Just look at Lee. He's very knowledgeable, but a prick:jsm:, whereas I don't know shit, but I'm one hell of a nice guy :jerkoff:. You can't have both here.....

So, what is it you want? :stickpoke

#14 ·
Yes ASM, but unfortunately they are mutually exclusive. Just look at Lee. He's very knowledgeable, but a prick:jsm:, whereas I don't know shit, but I'm one hell of a nice guy :jerkoff:. You can't have both here.....
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So, what is it you want? :stickpoke
Well...Randy...I guess in my current situation I have to ditch you and go with Lee...but don't feel neglected...I will come back to you later... ;)

#16 ·
Prick here. A guy on one of the Duc forums had MAJOR problems with Duc Miami concerning both parts and service. He finally sold the bike out of frustration.

Good choice on going with lee. Rosa's a nice guy but knows squat. I mean he rides a friggin' Brutale. What's that tell you about his quotient, eh? Now eat your peas Randy like a good boy.

#17 ·
Prick here. A guy on one of the Duc forums had MAJOR problems with Duc Miami concerning both parts and service. He finally sold the bike out of frustration.
Thanks Lee....I actually think I remember now that you are saying that....however, I would only buy the bike there...I would go to either Chicago or Akron for a MV dealership afterwards...much close than Miami....

BTW....I have a customer in Pittsburgh that I need to visit from time to time....may be I can take a look at your Tamburini if I am there the next time....never have seen one in person.... :yo:

#18 ·
ASM,

I would be absolutely delighted to have you visit. I live about 15 miles NW of Pitt and it's easy driving. If ever call me at 724 772 9182. We'll even feed you and put you up for the night if you wish.

We have hot showers too.

Lee

#19 ·
ASM,

I would be absolutely delighted to have you visit. I live about 15 miles NW of Pitt and it's easy driving. If ever call me at 724 772 9182. We'll even feed you and put you up for the night if you wish.

We have hot showers too.

Lee
And if you're lucky, he'll even play the bagpipes for you. He did for me but i think it's because i was taking too much time in the shower.

#21 ·
One last piece I forgot to mention. One of the MV technicians told me that it was not uncommon to come across a new/almost new bike from the MV stock that was a few years old. He stated that he's come across brand new 2007 models that have less than 100 miles and still contain all the original fluids.

Also the San Antonio dealer has 3 brand new 2004 Brutale Oros which have been in the factory since they were built.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.