MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I’ll tell you what, though......
I sure do see a lot of pictures where that adjuster for the rear suspension looks just like mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Maybe that’s the way they came from the factory? And you as the owner, was supposed to set the bike up for you?

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
I love listening to this drivel.....
The bike is touching 2 things, the ground in front and the rear stand
Set the forks on the 3rd ring, adjust sag at both ends
Now using the tool measure where the axle is compared to the frame
THIS IS YOUR BASELINE SETTING
If you want it quicker, lower the front or raise the rear
This has nothing to do with;
swing arm angle
shock travel
rear tire diameter
seat thickness
or rivets in the muffler
The tool mounts in the swing arm axle and a frame tube
Making the tool;
The lower hole is slotted
The hole in the swing arm axle varies
I DO NOT KNOW THE DIMENSIONS, DON'T ASK
A Factory tool was measured in a Haas Machining Center
to 10 millions of an inch, the file was sent to the laser cutters
They sent me the parts.......it took me over 4 years to recover
my costs
20190823_172115.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Thread with the dimensions for it, like I mentioned before with some high school trig you can back out the angles. IIRC the front rake is supposed to be around 24.5 degrees

Mystery solved with my wonky handling though - the tires on the bike are 120/70 and 190/55, which ends up being +12mm and +10mm in diameter versus oem and obviously add a bunch of trail. That would explain why the bike is fighting me even when i try to slalom around a bit - it takes continuous coutnersteer force to keep it leaned over.

Also seems like someone's discovered this already - definitely noticeable when i go back to to back to the 916: Do 120/70 front tyres cause understeer?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Mystery solved with my wonky handling though - the tires on the bike are 120/70 and 190/55, which ends up being +12mm and +10mm in diameter versus oem and obviously add a bunch of trail. That would explain why the bike is fighting me even when i try to slalom around a bit - it takes continuous coutnersteer force to keep it leaned over.

Also seems like someone's discovered this already - definitely noticeable when i go back to to back to the 916: Do 120/70 front tyres cause understeer?
12mm and 10mm are the diameter difference between new and worn out tyres.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was about to ask the same question. My bike looks like this right now......
Doesn’t seem right...

Hi Bob had the same initial set up on my 750 F4S resulting in very slow low speed steering Put about half an inch of extension into adjuster and that livened up the low speed steering with out effecting the high speed stability didn’t touch the front end. I’m running stock rear suspension settings and sag set for my 80 kilos ride weight. 😁👍

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for the input. I have this “lap” I do after work that has 9 corners in it. I now know how the bike feels and , it is a slow-steering feel I encounter. I put a 1/4 inch adjustment into the rear last night after my test lap. Tonite I’ll try it again. I know how I want it to feel , it’s just not there yet....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Extending the rear shock link the answer there, with ~30mm sag (still playing with that), extending the link to 25mm is almost spot on. I'll have to done more test ride with 27-28mm to see if i get it completely neutral, but with the oversize tires you def get too much trail if using the factory setup.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts