MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the little tool handy, just wanted to double check it against the subframe.

·
Super Moderator
22,488 Posts
There is no good way to do that, or the tool would be unnecessary.
I have a tool I lend out to forum members for the cost of Postage and return.

·
Administrator
20,073 Posts
Where are you in the states??? I also have the tool....so do a few on the west coast.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you figure? It's just measuring the angle of the swingarm to the frame. Subframe is fixed to the frame, so you could index it off that as well.
I could probably even try setting up a laser level that's orthogonal to the two frame bolts and just measuring off that, it's pretty much the same thing.

I'm in new york city.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
Try looking in the Service Manual ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,488 Posts
How do you figure? It's just measuring the angle of the swingarm to the frame. Subframe is fixed to the frame, so you could index it off that as well.
I could probably even try setting up a laser level that's orthogonal to the two frame bolts and just measuring off that, it's pretty much the same thing.
I'm in new york city.
The simplest answer is that you are not really setting "ride height". What you are setting is Static Sag and Dynamic Sag, along with the relationship of the rear shock and subframe to the swingarm of the bike.

Ride Height incorporates the tyres you have, the chain tension, the hub position, your seat thickness....and if that's what you really want to set, then just put it where you want it to be. (Don't forget to adjust the front accordingly or you will change steering geometry.)

If you are interested in setting up the rear suspension correctly, then follow this procedure:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was about to ask the same question. My bike looks like this right now......
Doesn’t seem right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,488 Posts
That bike is set up at the lowest ride height possible. The PO must have been short legged,.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That’s what I was thinking. I’m 5’ 10” and weigh about 212lbs, with a 32” inseam. The bike steers slow. I know it could be the oversized tires causing it. But, I would like to adjust the bike now just so I could experience the difference.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Oh I get that - but that tool is really just a proxy for measuring the angle of the swing arm at the full extension and at the shock resting point. You can do the same by indexing anything else that's stationary versus the swingarm. Setting the "sag" on the shock and and the link length are unrelated, but both will have the same effect of increasing/decreasing the swing arm angle and therefore the rake/trail.

Incidentally I have the same issue as Bob - the bike doesn't feel flickable, even compared to my 916 that should weight quite a bit more (mag wheels on that one, but still) and just eyeballing it looks like it's squatting in the back which will add a lot of rake.

·
Super Moderator
22,488 Posts
Then, as I said early on, the tool would then be an extravagant toy.

I've sold off my 750 EV 03, so I cannot be of further assistance...if you are looking to have someone measure their particular set up...which may not suit you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I’m new to all this so I of course would love a breakdown in the most simplistic of terms. Say, what’s the measurement from the center of the rear axle up to the rivet located on the exhaust

·
Registered
150 Posts
And for the front suspension, what’s the measurement from the center of the front axle to the lower triple clamp stanchion ?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Before you jump all over me for ignoring all the good information that’s available, it is Saturday morning. I’m just sitting here sipping on some coffee and homemade banana bread. I just was wondering where the bike “is”.....In relation to where it should be. One day soon I will get the stand and figure out someway to do the tool. And then I will proceed in the proper manner.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the front it's easy - you wanna have the third mark lined up to inner surface of the upper clamp on the 750

Like mathematically speaking, this whole exercise is about setting the rake and trail on the bike (angle of the front forks to vertical), once you have the rear shock travel range set.

·
Super Moderator
22,488 Posts
Here are the front standard suspension settings.

·
Super Moderator
22,488 Posts
The front setup is only valid if the rear is setup per the manual.

Reactions: theknurl

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Alright so here's some back of the napkin morning math for the rear:

Max rear suspension height 212mm as indexed by the tool, which gives you static sag ratio of around 0.1037736. So just make sure the bike sags ~10% of whatever frame-attached point you choose to measure against.

The tool is 539.5mm* to the mark, and arctan of 190/539.5 is 19.4 deg, which is the angle of the swingarm to the tool. The tool itself is angled up 4 degrees up from orthogonal to the two bolts it mounts to, so you're looking to have the swing arm angled ~15.4 degrees down from the right angle you can draw between off the two frame bolts.

* Rear Ride Height Setting Tool <2010

Edit: got the subtraction backwards

·
Registered
150 Posts
That’s awesome......
Just so everyone knows.....I am doing ALOT of reading. All that content already posted in the forum is NOT going to waste. I was just skimming the surface to see where my bike is at (figuratively speaking).

·
Administrator
20,073 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts