MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oem filter wrench, its over $60 and still does not have a nut welded to the end of it. I dont know about you, but i cant seem to get a 3/8 drive ratchet in place to use this type of filter wrench. Also, for that kind of money, I figured billet aluminum, stainless steel, a free hand job, something special, but no, just simple cast garbage.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Am I the only guy on this forum who has changed his own oil? Has anyone else encountered trouble putting a 3/8ths drive ratchet on the oem style filter wrench? Hello!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Some Guy said:
Am I the only guy on this forum who has changed his own oil? Has anyone else encountered trouble putting a 3/8ths drive ratchet on the oem style filter wrench? Hello!

dude!!

i only have 450 miles!!! and my 600 mile service is free!!!

i did change midpipe and installed frame sliders myself...

and it's nice to know that you have the oil tool now!! I may come and borrow it!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ks9mm said:
dude!!

i only have 450 miles!!! and my 600 mile service is free!!!

i did change midpipe and installed frame sliders myself...

and it's nice to know that you have the oil tool now!! I may come and borrow it!
At $65 for the damn thing, I'll rent it to you! :banghead: Just kidding, any time.

I dump the oil on all my new toys at 50 miles, and then again at about 250 to 300. Some people would say its overkill but I dont do the manufactures break-in, I think its a bunch of bullshit, so I just clean the crud out of the motor.

I gotta ask again, has anyone been able to wedge a 3/8ths drive ratchet in there to change the oil?

·
Registered
101 Posts
As I posted earlier on your previous post concerning the rip off OEM filter. I bought the $10 auto shop model and had no trouble using a flex 3/8" connector. You can't use a straight socket, but use the "flex/differential" joint connector and it works fine.

And no you're not the only one who changes your own oil.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I change mine all the time ! I also bought the $65 tool. I'll sell it to anyone on this board for $5. Witch is about $5 more than it's worth. To get the old filter off, I just use an over size channel lock pliers. who cares if it gets damaged, its going in the trash. I use a small auto filter wrench with a towel or rage covering the filter to tighten up. No problem! I wish I still had the receipt for the OEM filter wrench.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Crazy people.... :ahhh: :ahhh:

Good mechanics look at a problem and adapt to get the job done.

Auto stores sell just the same oil filter tool for $5. if it's junk, throw it out.

I use the big "pincher" oil filter grabber. Works great.

And I agree about the frequent oil changes on a new engine.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Some Guy said:
I use this one from Facom. It's universal and can be used for cars and bikes. Costed 74€ (= 94$)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
airfuel said:
Crazy people.... :ahhh: :ahhh:

Good mechanics look at a problem and adapt to get the job done.

Auto stores sell just the same oil filter tool for $5. if it's junk, throw it out.

I use the big "pincher" oil filter grabber. Works great.

And I agree about the frequent oil changes on a new engine.

Oh I adaped alright, I welded a 9/16 nut to the end of my $5 oil filter wrench, end of story. I'm just suprised by the lack of quality concerning the oem wrench, they could have at least told me they loved me before shoving it up my ass.

·
Registered
35 Posts
probably the wrong forum for this but i've seen a "some people" use a hammer and an old screw driver to get filters started...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
redmands said:
probably the wrong forum for this but i've seen a "some people" use a hammer and an old screw driver to get filters started...
Been there and done that! Usually the first oil change when the factory workers use an air gun to put the filters on! :bash:

·
Registered
184 Posts
mARK AND i BOUGHT THE mv FILTER REMOVER AND AFTER 3-4 HOURS TRYING TO GET IT TO SLIDE OVER THE FILTER, I went to the auto parts store and bought something like the perfect tool below. I DID get the 3/8" driver into the hole, however. Only way to go is this tool...

Peet said:
I use this one from Facom. It's universal and can be used for cars and bikes. Costed 74€ (= 94$)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Some Guy said:
The oem filter wrench, its over $60 and still does not have a nut welded to the end of it. I dont know about you, but i cant seem to get a 3/8 drive ratchet in place to use this type of filter wrench. Also, for that kind of money, I figured billet aluminum, stainless steel, a free hand job, something special, but no, just simple cast garbage.
Hey SOME GUY. Try your local Honda dealer. My buddy just came home with the Honda tool for his 06 model CBR 600, cost him $9 AUS and fits the MV filters perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
721 said:
Hey SOME GUY. Try your local Honda dealer. My buddy just came home with the Honda tool for his 06 model CBR 600, cost him $9 AUS and fits the MV filters perfect.
Would you look at that, it even has a nut on the end. Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts