MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to buy an F4 750, will be a fairly early one I expect as I dont have a huge budget to buy one.

I know of a couple for sale which Im interested in but 2 of them have done around 20,000 miles. How do these bikes stand up to big miles?

The 3 bikes im interested in:

2001 model with 200 miles on the clock, 1 owner from new but been stood from about 2 weeks old due to illness.

2002 model, standard, 3 owners from new FSH, 20000 miles £4k

2000 model, Arrow exhausts, Gilles rearsets, power commander, loads of carbon bits, all standard parts £4500 (planned on selling the exhaust, power commander, gilles if i got this one to get some money back!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been trying that for the last month! :) originally he said he would take £4500 but i only had £4k, now i ot the extra he said no lower than £5k as he looked around and thinks its worth that all day long!

Grr...

So tht leaves th other 2!

What would the arrows, power commander and gilles be worth as i want a standard bike!

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Don't exactly, but if they are in good condition they are surely worth more that £500. Thought i'd keep the PC3 if the bike is running fine with it and only sell the Gilles and Arrows.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i thought about £500, which would leave the bike standing me ag £4k, which is the same as tne 2002 model..
Id have thought id need to change the power commander if removing the pipes?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Don't worry about the miles....mine's done 53,000kms and is running like a rocket.....
only if you could ride ir like a rocket! :stickpoke

But i would take the 01 stock. I had the 02, 750, at 22500 klm first track day, did the big end bearing. When i whent to trade in, took the RG3 off and took the chip out and back to stock, ran like shit. So take the stock 01 but get it checked the best you can

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I'd go for the 200 miler out of the ones you've mentioned, but you will probably have to change tyres, battery, oil and filter etc. bearing in mind it must have been stood for an extended period.

Buying a F4 on a limited budget is a bit like walking on thin Ice. They are no compromise bikes and frankly if I was you I'd save up a while longer before taking the plunge. It's high season here in the UK (I'm assuming you are in the UK too). Buy a bike in the winter months and you'll get more for your £'s. If you can't wait and want one now I can understand that, impulse is not always a bad thing I believe, but if you are looking to perhaps sell 'extras' to get money back on your purchase price then I think you might struggle with running the bike. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but I'd hate to see you putting the bike up for sale a few months after you buy it because it's costing too much to keep on the road.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'd go for the 200 miler out of the ones you've mentioned, but you will probably have to change tyres, battery, oil and filter etc. bearing in mind it must have been stood for an extended period.

Buying a F4 on a limited budget is a bit like walking on thin Ice. They are no compromise bikes and frankly if I was you I'd save up a while longer before taking the plunge. It's high season here in the UK (I'm assuming you are in the UK too). Buy a bike in the winter months and you'll get more for your £'s. If you can't wait and want one now I can understand that, impulse is not always a bad thing I believe, but if you are looking to perhaps sell 'extras' to get money back on your purchase price then I think you might struggle with running the bike. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but I'd hate to see you putting the bike up for sale a few months after you buy it because it's costing too much to keep on the road.

Agree totally, don't know what the service costs are like in the U.K, but here they are on par with the Jap bikes, untill the major service

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont have a problem running costs, my last 3 bikes have been Ducati 748s, the last being an SP so I know all about running costs :)

My problem is i want to buy it as cheap as possible, as I am not certain im going to like it in honesty. for the last 10 years I've had nothing but V twins and swore to never return to an IL4 - the MV is the ONLY exception to the rule.

Plus I also have a 1966 VW Splitscreen to sell, and am restoring a 1966 ford cortin Mk1 GT so trying to get the initial spends past the wife when we are saving to pay for the deposit on a new house is difficult (hope this gives a better indication of my predicament) :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
as much as people try you can't compare the two. I had a 999 and the 750 and two different bikes. If i had the cash i would have the 1078 that i have now and a 999

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Have you ridden a F4? I'm not going to insult your intelligence with the whole 'Big V twin is a totally different animal to IL4' routine, you obviously know that already, but in terms of performance, the early F4's were noted for being 'only' on par with a Gixxer 750. Style wise things are much different, but later generation Evo model 750 F4's are much better than the early ones IMHO. If you've had a 916 or later larger capacity Dukes an early model F4 might be a disappointment.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope never ridden an f4, im not a real speed freak so not a big deal pls ive only had 748's which are not hugely powerful anyway.
The 2002 one looks favourite i think, yeah its done 20,000 miles but has a full service history (but is due a service, is this a big one?) had the rear hub bearings replaced. £4k which seems fair?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
My 2005 F4-1000 has 20K on the clock. High milage doesnt mean abused or not well taken care of! With the 750's. always try to get the newest one you can afford since there is quite the difference in the from year to year.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Yes, at £4k it sounds OK mate. Re the service, if the shims need checking it could be £300 to £500 depending on what else needs doing, you could keep costs down by doing the easier stuff, Oil change + filter + air filter etc yourself if you are reasonably handy with the spanners. Don't forget the more obvious stuff like chain, sprockets, tyres, battery etc. as I mentioned before. If stuff like that needs renewing it's all going to eat into your budget. Good luck and don't forget to post up some pics here when you get the beast home.:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how can I tell if its an EV02 model? its a 2002 model, does this automatically mean its an ev02? Sorry Im new to these bikes so go easy on me :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts